KTM - MV Agusta Test Ride - 21.09.14

ll2

Gforcejunkypkt , i believe Richard (a very experienced and valued member) meant the 500 / 650 bikes arent "real" sportsbikes - which is correct. That is not to say they are poor bikes , which there not. As for Italian bikes , i think they have more passion / excitement built into them , but that can also makes them a touch more difficult to live with , day to day. The fact i,m lucky enough too own some doesnt make me a more skillfull rider. I just think their better bikes. EDIT - re-wrote name.

nope. both 500 and 650 are sport bikes.

there is no such things as a 'real sportbike' jeff! there is sport bike and there is non sport bike. so honda 650 and Mv Agusta F3 are both sportbikes.

What you are saying is just an Italian illusion! which they want you to pay more for thatlaugh.png

Just if you look at the Moto GP results of of last 20 years. it is mostly Honda followed by Yamaha and Ducati only once! in 2007 which is bc of Casey Stoner's great performance. And MV Agusta was never there!

So, do you still say Honda or Yamaha does not have any soul, character or attitude?laugh.png

I believe they have more and better racing and sporting character than any other Italian brand IMO. And they add more to motorcycling world than Italian bike makers too.

Also inline four or v4 engines of Honda and great sounding crossplane crankshaft engine of Yamaha has no soul or character? C'mon man, try to understand, i like the high rev scream of inline fours, sound of gear driven cams of v4 of honda bikes or cross plane engine of Yamaha r1 which sounds like an Alien spaceship! you might like the roar and shake of the twin but this does not mean Italians are more real sportbike

it is all about our tastes in life. both sides, i respect and i am sure you can respect too.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow talk about over react LL

Well, I guess I'd be a little put out if I did regular track days, a whole load of riding, (unlike many posters here I reckon) test rode a bunch of bikes and put a shitload of pics on the forum only to be called a 'wannabe' because I don't ride a large cc Italian bike.

It looks like that but I honestly think it is like this............

Richard owns & rides that bike & felt it was the usual type of "ride report" & with LL I use that term

very loosely

He/Richard was obviously upset by what he saw as the usual..........everything that does not say Honda sucks

That aside LL himself reacts the exact same way many times here when someone says something they do not like about a Honda...

He comes back all upset saying how can you say this or that...do you own it? Ok BS then

Basically that is about how I am seeing this Hoo Haa

Anyway I guess folks get passionate about their bikes eh? wink.png

Sometimes say things when heated etc.

And yet even though Richard supposedly owns the bike he has not bothered to write a rider report! Strange!

there are talkers and there are doers in this world casualbiker. and i am sure we can all see here which side Richard belongs to and which side i am at.

Shame on people trying to make my posts and reviews down just for rant!

You can believe what i say guys. Dont believe the talkers!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Oh really mania?

Sorry man, i am not posting these to buy you or anyone here. Where did you get that idea?smile.png)

and of course not to meet your or others stereotype expectations! Like italian bikes are greatest, they are the real sport bikes, they have soul etc funny.

anyone can criticise what i write but what you are guys doing is attacking or criticising?

And as a common courtesy in a forum, you have to respect other's ideas too, right?

Maybe with a thank you for someone spending time and effort writing this type of information here? And then criticise?

In your post you say i need to suck it up and respect ideas and words.

But what you are doing?

You are kissing the a...ss of someone doing business here assuming things about me in a wrong way, lets say lying. So where is the respect of ideas and suck it up going mania?

You learn how to suck it up first and how to respect ideas so please keep the morale lessons to yourself!

I believe you and some others are the ones getting defensive here like a kid, sorry man. Jealousy, ego whatever you call it. Not everyone is stupid here. It is clear from your posts and many is seeing that.

And speaking of disinformation, please check posts. I m not saying or i never said i am an authority here but you are not definitely too.

Honestly, man up and confess, do you really approve richard's childish post? Does that post criticise what i write or just attacking me? Do you really approve what he said about me being first time on a real sport bike? What is a real sport bike?

With your derailing posts recently, do you add something to this thread or forum?

Please check it out mania. I know you are a nice guy with experience and knowledge but they are pretty much tainted now with these type of childish posts of yours.

My review has nothing to do with honda! Of course i will compare these bikes with what i have! C mon, you were not expecting a comparison with a ninja 250, right?

After these post if yours, it does not mean if you are around the block or what, sorry mania.

Oh Boy somebody needs a nap smile.png

Listen I do not have my decoder ring but I am going to try to

Make out what your saying here...except that last line which I have no idea

what "it does not mean if you are around the block or what" means wink.png

First off you keep saying because I agree with a posters

opinion I am “kissing the a...ss of someone”

How can my agreeing with a poster I do not know or will ever meet be construed as kissing up?

No LL sorry it was my opinion/agreement to his post period...nothing gained in any other way as kissing up implies.

My agreeing with him has nothing to do with brand X being better than brand Y

Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion of course….

But yours are always the same…everything sucks has fueling problems etc. etc.

Even if you only had a short test ride.

Don’t even get me started on what you say about anything from China

Recently in another thread your already telling folks Brand H will have better torque etc than a bike whose tires have not even hit the street yet. smile.png

But a classic example of your heading off the deep end is your recent post in another thread

where you basically are warning the Mods here at Thai Visa that they better watch it as your seeing too much Honda defamation????

That TV may be in trouble with Honda??? cheesy.gif

Are you serious? Yes there are defamation laws about defaming an individually owned business or an individual in

Thailand but that is a far cry from giving an opinion about some Corporate brand/product your not happy with.

Do you think if I say McDonalds burgers really suck & are salty that means McDonalds will come here & sue TV or me?

But to understand how truly nuts it is for you to say that one need only look at any of your posts on other than Honda bikes…especially China brands right?

Was that defamation? Should the mods be worried? Of course not!

So yes to sum it up

1- Yes I did agree with Richard & still do.

2- I do not think best bikes come from any particular country.

3- I do not think I derail threads…If your referring to me & Charley joking in the

Honda 300 thread..That is all it was & both he & I were with it fine till you barged in all Honda Hotheaded

With the “Well I am sober & say ........” which started a whole other riot regarding street racing etc....Talk about derail??

4- No Jealousy or ego here…For what? Jealous of what?

Anyway as I said I appreciate your enthusiasm for bikes. I appreciate many of your posts.

But sometimes your just a bit too far into it & get too defensive. Jai Yen Yen dude

again you are talking in a disrespectful manner. You know, if you are lazy to read and understand someone else's posts just please do not answer and maybe forums are not for you.

you sound like a redneck Murican disrespecting Spanish immigrants for their English i am sorry. but we are in Thailand so just manner up as you sound like you have nothing to say and than it comes to my writing?

many can understand what i write so if you cannot, maybe go back to the school or develop your understanding skills with a geriatrician as maybe you are getting older?

at times at work, i might need to write fast and mistakes can happen, it is my 3rd language i learned Mania.

your writing is also not very well, sorry to say.

the suing this is something between me and moderators as they have deleted a thread just bc the guys was complaining bc a bad service from a specific shop so again, you assume things.

Mania, you are not in a positive state of mind to assume things about people.

so, please stop assuming things about me and and also others as if you do so, i will be there always. When things are not fair, when people assume things that are not true, my blood boils, all my life and i react hard, yes and will do so!

you are just talking and get angry over doers, this is always same all over the world talkers does not fancy doers.

and worst, you are trying to discredit me and what i write mania like i dont know motorbikes and first time sat on a sport bike blah blah blah and trying to mislead new and beginner members here like 'hey LL does not know anything about bikes and sat first time on a sport bike so dont read his posts!'.

But i believe my overall riding experience of 25+ years on many different bikes owned and tested, hundreds of thousands of kms made many parts on Earth, track days, curves, and anyway, it is never about the years of experience, it is all about consistency and density of experience! Why i say these? not to imply i am a great rider! just to let everyone know so they dont get misleaded again by people like you.

what is the reason for this mania?

what is the reason for saying this and approving such a comment from someone doing business around by misleading people? and you know that is not true.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761816-ktm-mv-agusta-test-ride-210914/?p=8423456

i am sure members of this forum are not stupid to see this.

and just let it go, no need to discuss more and please no offence. I still respect you and some of your posts and your enthusiasm. many things to say but i keep them with me.

i have a large heart Mania and forget things very quickly:) Please do not break each other's heart anymore.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

what is the reason for saying this and approving such a comment from someone doing business around by misleading people? and you know that is not true.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761816-ktm-mv-agusta-test-ride-210914/?p=8423456

Ok LL my last comment on this sillinesscoffee1.gif

It was simple....I saw Richards post ...liked his post....then posted "Hammer meet Nail"

But to put it simply I saw a brand defensive owner get mad at the most

brand defensive poster on this forum

I thought it was funny...ok with you?

• Like 2

It was simple....I saw Richards post ...liked his post....then posted "Hammer meet Nail"

You saw an alleged brand defensive owner (who really knows if Richard actually owns the MV) and another brand defensive owner (who actually owns the Honda)

Richard partly talks from experience, partly because it's his job. He is employed by the Chinese company behind the "Italian classic sports bike "

As long as folks remember that, it brings a lot into context!

Edited by casualbiker

I have not ridden that many bikes in my time and I'm for sure not a professional bike reviewer as I don't know anything about bikes, other than whether I enjoyed riding them or not.

Rode a 899 Panigale recently in some testing conditions in the UK.

post-143305-0-25648600-1411536746_thumb.

Traction control was on WET setting and it was very intrusive - comes on continuously even on back straights - and as such, hard to comment on the power.

Fortunately the next day, it dried out and that's when you realise that this can be a beast of a machine.

post-143305-0-56357900-1411537199_thumb.

With traction control on SPORT, it's possible for the front to lift up even.

I loved riding the bike, but as mentioned, fueling issues at low revs make this a bit less enjoyable, especially for city riding which is what a lot of us do here in Bkk. Furthermore, very often, I ride 2-up so it's just not practical to buy one of these so called real sportsbikes for normal use.

• Like 2

I loved riding the bike, but as mentioned, fueling issues at low revs make this a bit less enjoyable, especially for city riding which is what a lot of us do here in Bkk. Furthermore, very often, I ride 2-up so it's just not practical to buy one of these so called real sportsbikes for normal use.

That is basically it in a nutshell but...It is not fueling issues it is

the nature of such beasts. It is what a snarling thoroughbred needs to achieve its end.

Yes not a commuter & never intended as such. Same for two up on it...yes it has the seat & pegs for a passenger but will

not be a very pleasant ride for them.

Same as none would buy a 10kUSD all carbon Tour De France type bicycle to go to 7-11 or run errands around town

Or an Arabian Stallion to trot around central park with.

• Like 2

probably better to let this topic die of now we are getting into my bikes faster than yours i can ride quicker than you ,its pretty childish,never known a forum like this one other forums i visit are friendly everyone knows each others names ,off coarse we are not always gonna agree it don't need to lead to personal attacks and abuse all the time though ......the only time i have words with others on this forum is if someone is posting utter b.s i will call them out on it ,if people post things with a different opinion from myself fair enough .

Agreed Tanithai, and though I still stand by my main point -- no need for the judgmental "wannabe" or "real sportsbike" designations because we're all bikers -- I apologize if my replies to anyone were overly emotional (being emotional is kind of important for my work, so perhaps I should avoid making comments and just post cool videos). wai2.gif

• Like 1

I think all these confusions over a definition/name or types is a non event.

Yes many who have been riding a long time say the new breed of bikes they are calling Sport Bikes

are not what they know as Sport Bikes & I tend to agree

But it is not that persons fault nor is it a case of some folks saying a "sport" bike only comes from Italy that is silly

to assume.None here have ever said that but those with hurt feelings that like to use it to incite problems.

The problem is the manufacturers themselves started dressing street/commuter type bikes in Sports Bike cloths/fairings etc

But yes Kawasaki Ninja 300/650/800 etc & Honda CBR 300/500/650 etc are not what is normally called a Sport Bike

But these same brands like Kawasaki, Honda etc do make sport bikes too & some great ones...

their RR bikes like Kawasaki ZX6R or Honda CBR600RR

THOSE are true sport bikes to those who see the differences in alloy frames, great suspension,high power to weight,etc.

as being what sport bikes were always defined as.

But it is what it is & who really cares?....The companies themselves have started calling the sheep in wolves clothing sports bikes to make sales

& have changed the name of sport bikes to Super Sport Bikes laugh.png

Hey at the end of the day ride what makes you happiest right?

A name/definition is only a name/definition

Personally I own one of the sheep in wolves clothing & like it just fine for here in Thailand.

Of course I do not think it is in any way a "real" sport bike with its lacking suspension & steel frame etc

But enjoy it fully none the less wink.png

Excellent points overall Mania, and let us not forget the term "superbike" was first coined and used more widely with the introduction of the grand daddy of the modern sportbike, the 1969 Honda CB750!

• Like 1

totally OK, please peace bro!

just to let you know, richard is saying these bc he has a Chinese bike business or working with someone and he has a website that is never updated and no one ever post these kind of info there. he is saying these bc he wants a rant. Just to let you know, not bc he believes what he said.

All Richard needs is help from posters like us for his website.

you know me after some time here mania, i hold Mediterranean blood. my blood boils fast and my heart gets broken fast but also i forget things fast, like a buffalo what Thai people say:)

Sorry if i offended you too. we are fellow riders here in this land and not many of us are present here for long years like us. but we - not only you and me, we all - fight with each other at this forum.

I know we riders are never normal peoplelaugh.png

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

LOL , I blame your Mediterrranean blood and your biker DNA , but we all have that. Nothing wrong with that biker passion . I wasnt saying Japanese bikes DIDNT have soul , its just i feel (IMO ) Italian bikes feel / look more exciting to me. Not everyone will agree as we all look for different things in bikes. Hence a suggestedlist of 4 bikes for all occasions. Then dave_boo says he only agrees with 2 of my choices ( these are not my ultimate choices - another thread perhaps ) and daves choices are also right - for him. The term "Superbike" has been used on many types of bikes from the incredible Honda NSR 250 to the new Ninja 250 / 300 but to most people the term Superbike is reserved to 1000 cc top quality sports bikes. Thats not to say no other bike is a super bike. To commute 30,000 on a Ducati , in Bangkok , takes some comitment (or you should be commited !) and a Honda CBR 650 would have been easier / cheaper / more comfey , but thats the biking passion , it means we dont all follow the same (sensible) path. And biking , and we , are all the better and more varied for it. Lets all keep posting pics / videos and thoughts on bikes - but remember , your opinion of a perfect bike , is just that - YOUR opinion.EDIT please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Edited by ktm jeff
  • Like 2

^ Thanks for the report Gweiloman, always good to hear opinions. I'm picking mine up on Friday morning and I'm going to try and squeeze in a couple hundred kms before I fly to Phuket later that afternoon so I'll be sure to add my first impressions as well.

Just a couple things to note, on the 899 you can adjust traction control within each of the riding modes so you could reduce the intrusiveness of the TC but still keep it in wet mode if you so desired. Also, the reviews I read have all said that Race mode is significantly quicker than Sport mode so I'm sure there was quite a bit more left in it, although it sounds pretty quick in Sport as well if it's unintentionally lifting the front wheel.

Looking forward to finding out for myself. 2 more sleeps laugh.png

The traction control modes were adjusted for us by the CSS school. Needless to say, they wanted to ensure as few accidents as possible :). Even with that, there were 3 crashes on the first day, one on a self owned bike and two on the Ducs (one of them was in fact an instructor, not sure which setting he was on). The track was cold and wet, with some standing water so not the best of conditions to ride a sportsbike fast.

On the second day, we were practicing the pick up drill and rolling on the throttle as early as possible, I guess I might have been a bit enthusiastic as the track was dry and fairly warm :)

Whatever it is, you will not be disappointed by this bike. Congrats!

• Like 2

^ Thanks for the report Gweiloman, always good to hear opinions. I'm picking mine up on Friday morning and I'm going to try and squeeze in a couple hundred kms before I fly to Phuket later that afternoon so I'll be sure to add my first impressions as well.

Just a couple things to note, on the 899 you can adjust traction control within each of the riding modes so you could reduce the intrusiveness of the TC but still keep it in wet mode if you so desired. Also, the reviews I read have all said that Race mode is significantly quicker than Sport mode so I'm sure there was quite a bit more left in it, although it sounds pretty quick in Sport as well if it's unintentionally lifting the front wheel.

Looking forward to finding out for myself. 2 more sleeps laugh.png

there is review on you tube search baron von grumble for the first 10 mi hits he has it in sport mode and he thinks its a littleunderpowered he then sees its in sport changes it to race mode and falls in love with the bike...... The 15000 mile service on this bike on the UK is 900 quid or 45,000 bht .

So much quarrel. the Motor bikes are not so important, the roads are and as I stay inThailand I miss the really special roads and the countryside to, I have all driven often in my younger years. rolleyes.gif

l_moto.gif

LIKE that, one from many. seventy five, hairpin turns, 48 of them on the northern side numbered with stones, are a challenge to motorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelvio_Pass

993090_688614891176806_1042947348_n.jpg?

Grimselpass and in the far Furkapass thumbsup.gif

57269050.jpg

Nufenen Pass

la-tremola-480x335.jpg

St.Gotthard Pass

gothard280608_1283.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 2

The 899 in white is probably the best looking bike that you can get around here in my opinion. And it got all the power, handling and sound one would want from what I've read about it. Looking forward to your review JonnyF! It's probably above my riding skill so might consider one in 1-2 years time or so, need to get more mileage under my bum ASAP! smile.png

Also love Baron von Grumble's videos, he got a great style. He chose the 899 over the S1000R which is very much related to this thread I think even though it's not about Japanese vs Italian but it is numbers vs emotions.

BTW: does anyone else have issues loading the Ducati Thailand website? Always takes ages and several refreshes for it load load a page. Been like that since I first went there a long time ago...

Edited by eisfeld

You saw an alleged brand defensive owner (who really knows if Richard actually owns the MV) and another brand defensive owner (who actually owns the Honda)

Richard partly talks from experience, partly because it's his job. He is employed by the Chinese company behind the "Italian classic sports bike "

As long as folks remember that, it brings a lot into context!

Why is it so important to you if I own a MV Agusta or not, is it really relevant? If you took the time to check this forum you would find several pictures of my motorcycle(s). But, again it's not really relevant if I own one or not...

You accuse me of being employed by a Chinese company, which is absolutely inaccurate, please explain why you come that conclusion? Is it because I always say that every manufacturer should be welcomed and comments should be based on real facts...?? Yes in the last years several Chinese motorcycle manufacturers did entered the Thai market... I shared my information as a lot of paperwork on new motorcycles entering Thailand pass my desk (One of the companies I'm partner in does emission testing “it's a Thai company”).

My main business is currently very busy manufacturing engine parts for a German car manufacturer who's preparing for the 2015 Dakar Rally.. sadly not much to do with motorcycles but we sometimes have to do stuff to keep the lights on....

For what it's worth, the Kawasaki ER6 line (ER6N,Ninja 650 and Versys 650), the Honda 500 series and the new Honda inline-four Honda CB®650F's are not for nothing so successful. They're greate motorcycles, with a good balance of focus and usability.... The naked ER6N, CB500F and CB650F are perfect naked bikes, the CBR500R, Ninja 650 and CBR650F offer a perfect balance between sporty and usability...., and the Honda CB500X and Versys 650 offer Adventure to a well designed platform....

It seems that the middle class (600 to 650cc) is ready for something we should maybe refer to as 650 sporttouring motorcycles.... Nothing bad about that. Real sportsbike are way to focused to be useful for daily commuting...

• Like 1

Hi Richard , glad your back. Did you manage to get any info or photos on the 600 Yamaha / Benelli engine. No problem if your busy. Good luck to the dakar teams.

Sorry no, as you maybe understand we're pretty busy... I just come home... And I not have a Benelli BN600 in our warehouse... To make pictures of a Benelli BN600 engine I have to visit the main dealer downtown, we have a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R6 in our Suwannabhumi warehouse. The engine design (shape) between an old YZF-R6 and the latest YZF-R6 engine would not be that different (from the outside, the mounting has not been changed).

Edited by Richard-BKK

So much quarrel. the Motor bikes are not so important, the roads are and as I stay inThailand I miss the really special roads and the countryside to, I have all driven often in my younger years. rolleyes.gif

l_moto.gif

LIKE that, one from many. seventy five, hairpin turns, 48 of them on the northern side numbered with stones, are a challenge to motorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelvio_Pass

Thanks Alfredo, your pix made me involuntarily salivate all over my new bluetooth keyboard!

• Like 1

Nobody beats the Italians for style and emotion.

The Japanese take the prize for reliability and practicality.

The KTMs you reviewed have a sinister / businesslike quality.

Yeah, the Italians have the styling. The Panigale and RSV4 are stunning bikes. Until recently I'd always thought most Jap bikes as pig-ugly but the I think the recent Jap (and German!) liter inline 4's are upping their game in the style stakes.

My Ducati was great even with the heavy vibrations, leg-burn and frying pan-like seat. I could even handle the occasionally trip to the mechanic for some 'soul' issues but after 50+kl on the bike, the 'soul' (and dodgy Duc 'mecahanics') just got a bit too much. ermm.gif

The GSXR is so smooth and responsive. It may not have the Ducati 'wow' factor but it's just a beast on the road. My only issue is that Suzuki Thailand are, shall we say, very Thai, in their customer-service attitude. Mechanics only by appointment, no stock of spare parts outside those only needed for the regular services etc..

Anyway, I really do hope the Thai-made Panigale's don't fall apart after a few clicks. Fingers crossed! laugh.png