Tesco service gone downhill

Keesters

I visit Tesco at Threppasit road / Sukhumvit highway 2 or three times a week and I've noticed a rapid decline in services provided there.

1) The entrance way from the motorcycle parking to the small outside mall has now reduced to about 2 feet in width making it impossible for 2 people to pass each other. This is caused by encroachment of both the stalls on each side into the passage.

2) The first stall on left after squeezing through the passage there is often a dog. Many times it has snapped at me and more than once tried to bite my ankle.

3) The escalator up to the top floor has been broken for a number weeks now.

4) The Tesco wi-fi service does not work. That also has been going on for weeks.

5) There is no longer any public seating on the ground floor. There used to be at least 15 or 20 seats on various benches on the exit side of the checkouts.

For case number 1) I have notified Tesco many times via their website. No reply...no action...

For case number 4) I mentioned to customer service desk. They said ring 1712. I did, they said visit customer service desk. I have checked my equipment at another Tesco branch and it logs in perfect.

For case number 5) I no longer purchase an ice cream cone at DQ as there is nowhere to sit and consume it.

I am now changing my shopping trips to BIG C extra on Pattaya Klang even though it necessitates more traveling.

Comments anyone.......

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foodland good prices and good selection. Villa high quality meat and hard to find items. Best Super at Dolphin cheapest booze but decent selection of food.

All three are not crowded and have seating but not sure about wifi.

Super in Central is good but a bit crowded.

Edited by ATF

"Comments anyone......."

Items 1,2,3 and 5 have nothing to do with Tesco as they do not own and run the whole shopping centre.

Rather than complaining to Tesco (and getting zero result) you would better off approaching the centre management, most likely still getting a zero result.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

"Comments anyone......."

Items 1,2,3 and 5 have nothing to do with Tesco as they do not own and run the whole shopping centre.

Rather than complaining to Tesco (and getting zero result) you would better off approaching the centre management, most likely still getting a zero result.

I think you'll find they do. There website has an enquires section about 'leasing space in Tesco Lotus'. If you're so sure there is a centre management how about some links to justify it.

I go to Tesco occasionally. However I find that 85% of the foodstuffs they offer for sale are unrecognisable to me and no doubt probably unpalatable.

You don't know of milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, oranges, apples, fruit juices, bread, cake, rice, noodles etc. that would make up a vast part of what they sell! Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Agree with the comment on lack of seating. I normally go with my wife and finish my part of the shopping - water/juices/milk - in short order and then have to wait for my better half to complete her meanderings!

The recent addition of the guitar selling shop has reduced the available seating to a couple of benches, at the most.

They have also added an outside market in part of the front parking area. Not sure if this is full time or not, but has been in place for my last couple of visits. It meant having to park in the non shaded area at the far end of the car park. Have no intention of looking around this new market area and even my wife, who rarely gives up the opportunity for a shopping experience, is not interested saying it's far too hot to shop outside during the day.

Maybe small issues, but enough to consider alternative shopping locations.

• Like 1

Good post, Keesters. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Tesco employees in the UK didn't pick up on your thread. Multinationals routinely monitor social media to guage what customers are thinking about them. It's a burgeoning form of market research. Tesco at this time can ill afford to upset it's customers and see it plastered all over the internet.

• Like 1

I live lone and therefore do all the shopping.

Over 7 years I have used Tesco on Pattaya Nua less and less. I think that the new Makro is pretty good for parking convenience and quality of products, especially veg.

I tend to use that store in conjunction (occasionally) with Big C in Klang as they sell many non food items that Makro do not carry. Mind you, the parking is terrible there unless you go early. Huge pick-ups squeezing into parking bays designed for mini's.

I can't put my finger on my reasons for not using Tesco's other than it's product range seems a bit tired, if that's the right word.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"Comments anyone......."

I think you'll find they do. There website has an enquires section about 'leasing space in Tesco Lotus'. If you're so sure there is a centre management how about some links to justify it.

A quick look around google suggest Ek-Chai Distribution System Co., Ltd (who owns Tesco Lotus) will own the building.

Edited by Spoonman

I go to Tesco occasionally. However I find that 85% of the foodstuffs they offer for sale are unrecognisable to me and no doubt probably unpalatable.

You don't know of milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, oranges, apples, fruit juices, bread, cake, rice, noodles etc. that would make up a vast part of what they sell!

You've got to be joking, right? There are entire aisles in Tesco and Big C where virtually none of the products on display would ever find their way into a bog standard supermarket in NZ.

• Like 1

You don't know of milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, oranges, apples, fruit juices, bread, cake, rice, noodles etc. that would make up a vast part of what they sell!

You've got to be joking, right? There are entire aisles in Tesco and Big C where virtually none of the products on display would ever find their way into a bog standard supermarket in NZ.

Not at all. If you really look there most of the stuff would be in both Thailand and NZ. The brand names might not be the same, the packaging a little different. But food is food. Whole row of chocolate & sweets, whole row of coffee, teas and other beverages, whole row of cooking oils, counters full of chicken, pork, fish, seafood. Do you have none of these things in NZ? Is lamb all you have? I would suggest it is more like 85% similar rather then 85% different. Anyway it is nice to see you integrating into Thai food culture while your here.

• Like 1

"Comments anyone......."

A quick look around google suggest Ek-Chai Distribution System Co., Ltd (who owns Tesco Lotus) will own the building.

I saw Ek-Chai also but nothing suggests that they own the building. It could still be owned by Tesco.

You are not in NZ, Tesco and Big C offer products for the Thai consumer which of course is the core of their business. I find Tesco the least desirable of the super market options available here in Pattaya, especially the one on Sukumwit.

• Like 1

"Comments anyone......."

A quick look around google suggests that Ek Chai is just a construction set up and owned by Tesco UK and Thailand, as it is their way around to own the majority of shares in Tesco Thailand, which they can not by law.

Edited by dBrown
  • Like 1

A quick look around google suggests that Ek Chai is just a construction set up and owned by Tesco UK and Thailand, as it is their way around to own the majority of shares in Tesco Thailand, which they can not by law.

There are many companies that own up to 100% of their business in Thailand under BOI concessions. It depends how much they invest.

• Like 1

I live lone and therefore do all the shopping.

Over 7 years I have used Tesco on Pattaya Nua less and less. I think that the new Makro is pretty good for parking convenience and quality of products, especially veg.

I tend to use that store in conjunction (occasionally) with Big C in Klang as they sell many non food items that Makro do not carry. Mind you, the parking is terrible there unless you go early. Huge pick-ups squeezing into parking bays designed for mini's.

I can't put my finger on my reasons for not using Tesco's other than it's product range seems a bit tired, if that's the right word.thumbsup.gif

The biggest turn-off for me is the seemingly endless aisles of crisps, nuts, noodles and cooking oils.

I've gone to Tesco on North Rd only a handful of times. If I didn't go for a year, I would not miss it. I don't know why but, like a another poster, it just doesn't appeal. I think generally, I dislike big rambling superstores. Which is why, among many reasons, I prefer Foodland for food and occasionally Makro North.

If anything restricts the Entrance/Exit, I would have thought this would breech Safety Regulations in the event of a fire.

But then again....this is Thailand!

Yeah. Have you been to the ground floor of Tukcom lately. In any country that has fire/safety regulations (Thailand does) that would surely be a breach. Even the most slack laws would probably condemn it. 99% sales space...1% customer all pushing and shoving to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Good post, Keesters. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Tesco employees in the UK didn't pick up on your thread. Multinationals routinely monitor social media to guage what customers are thinking about them. It's a burgeoning form of market research. Tesco at this time can ill afford to upset it's customers and see it plastered all over the internet.

That's a good part of the reason I've done it. Local Tesco couldn't give a fig. Even told them I'd contact UK. Made no difference. Not sure however how much influence Tesco UK have though except it is their brand name.

I once contacted coca-cola USA regarding coca-cola Thailand and they replied they had nothing to do with it as it was a completely independent company who were licensed to use the brand.

Did have success with Philips, Panasonic, Electrolux and Pfizer home country head offices who all made their Thailand offices stop ignoring me when I phoned or emailed them about their products. Most times it resulted in additional sales to the Thai company.

Generally I'd say customer service/support is very poor in Thailand. Tiger motorcycles refuse to tell me where my nearest branch is so I can go buy a new one to replace the one I have that is now 10 years old but still going strong. It was only 8 years old when I first started asking. 555

I must say that Tesco most of the time seem to be out of western products and just fill the shelves with whatever is to hand ,also their fruit and salad bars are of a very low quality.

I know what you mean about the salad bar. Was once asked to go get a salad for an invalid Thai lady. I got my usual, veggie only, mix at Friendship. She complained that there was no fruit or glass noodles and what is this purple stuff (beetroot). I never got asked again.

That's a good part of the reason I've done it. Local Tesco couldn't give a fig. Even told them I'd contact UK. Made no difference. Not sure however how much influence Tesco UK have though except it is their brand name.

I once contacted coca-cola USA regarding coca-cola Thailand and they replied they had nothing to do with it as it was a completely independent company who were licensed to use the brand.

Did have success with Philips, Panasonic, Electrolux and Pfizer home country head offices who all made their Thailand offices stop ignoring me when I phoned or emailed them about their products. Most times it resulted in additional sales to the Thai company.

Generally I'd say customer service/support is very poor in Thailand. Tiger motorcycles refuse to tell me where my nearest branch is so I can go buy a new one to replace the one I have that is now 10 years old but still going strong. It was only 8 years old when I first started asking. 555

is complaining a hobby for you?

• Like 2