Asian suspects raped English tourist

Lite Beer

Asian suspects raped English tourist

9-19-2014-9-19-48-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner revealed Saturday that latest DNA examination has now confirmed Asian suspects responsible for the rape and murder of the English tourist in Koh Tao.

Pol Gen Somyot Phunphanmuang disclosed the latest test of DNA samples collected from semen found inside the vagina and annal of Ms Hannah Witheridge, 23, showed they belonged to Mongoloid people or Asians.

He revealed the finding just before boarding a flight to Surat Thani today to direct the investigation and hunting down the suspects.

The latest discovery has now enabled the police to narrow their investigation to focus on specific groups, migrant workers and local Thai people.

Pol Gen Somyot also said the Royal Thai Police has now suspended its earlier plan to seek help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) after forensic doctors could conduct deeper test of the Y chromosome DNA test.

A Y chromosome DNA test (Y-DNA test) is a genealogical DNA test which is used to explore a man’s patrilineal or direct father’s-line ancestry.

The genealogical DNA test looks at a person’s genome at specific locations. Results give information about genealogy or personal ancestry. In general, these tests compare the results of an individual to others from the same lineage or to current and historic ethnic groups.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/asian-suspects-rape-english-tourist/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-20

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he could get a little more definitive results from the world expert analysts compared to the local staff who have neither the depth of training, experience or equipment. It bemuses me that Thais do not understand how far they are behind the world scientifically.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Any chance of worry that non-Thai experts with top of the range equipment might return findings that were just too definitive ?

I was going to write that and kids distracted me - exactly

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

This is a great development and at the same time, very sad for the affected families to have to hear the details publically. Horrible.

No sensitivity whatsoever, there are so many ways a ' development ' can be announced without going into too much detail and without giving too much away.

Unfortunately here the headline is everything, look how efficient we are and be sure to spell my name correctly.

• Like 1

I guess haplo group O was found in the Y DNA. They should be able to narrow that down. But so far it means perpetrator is most likely from the area spanning from southern China and Philippines to Southern Thailand and Eastern Burma.

Yeah, the use of that additional term is a bit weird. They should just have said "Asian."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid

• Like 1

The broadcaster you can trust... to make infantile, offensively descriptive, spelling and grammar errors. 'mongoloid'? 'annal'?

As to the DNA technology confusion, well, things here are like that all the time, "yes we have the garlic prawns", then after a visit to the kitchen, "no we don't".

I just always choose two mains now (one is the back-up) to avoid the inevitable let down. Maybe the lab is like that too?

Edited by dhream
  • Like 2

Per the story at 0600 this morning the police didn't have the technology to properly conduct the DNA testing and were seeking the help of the FBI and now all of a sudden they ard DNA experts and have the case solved. Must have found a copy of DNA testing for Dummies

It's the same Police Commissioner with two different stories on two different days: Yesterday:

Police will request help from the United States' Federation Bureau of Investigation to test semen found in the body of a female British backpacker brutally murdered on the resort island of Koh Tao this week.

DNA testing technology in Thailand could only identify whether human secretions came from a male or female, said deputy police chief General Somyot Pumpunmuang, while the FBI had "sophisticated technology".

"We will ask the FBI to help identify the DNA in the semen we found - whether it belonged to an Asian or European," he said yesterday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761855-police-seek-help-from-fbi-on-dna/#entry8410547

Today:

Royal Thai Police commissioner revealed Saturday that latest DNA examination has now confirmed Asian suspects responsible for the rape and murder of the English tourist in Koh Tao.

Pol Gen Somyot Phunphanmuang disclosed the latest test of DNA samples collected from semen found inside the vagina and annal of Ms Hannah Witheridge, 23, showed they belonged to Mongoloid people or Asians.

Good to see the case is in the hands of the professionals

Presumably the FBI told him it was his hole he had dug, and that it was customary for him to thus, fill it up

• Like 1

I read the same story, someone ran to Big C to get a new testing kit. What the heck are they doing and my GOD !!!! did they have to make public that they found semen in her anal cavity. The poor family !!

Aside from anything else, not publicising this information helps to.make absolutely sure you catch the right perp.

I really do wish they would teach these idiots to shut up.

• Like 2