From Windows to Apple: Hints and tips for a total noob

pinkpanther99

Hi there

A few of us at the company I work for have been informed that as of next week our Windows PC's are being replaced with Mac Desktops, which is great.

However, I have never used a Mac before and from what I hear from others who have switched over, the first couple of weeks can be hellish as you get used to the change.

Do any Apple users have any hints or tips for a complete noob who is about to break his Mac cherry?

Do you have any advice on making the transition easier, that wont interrupt my day to day work flow too much.

Of course I'll be Googling this but would also like to hear some feedback from users in the know

Thanks in advance

Many newbies find running OS Virtualization Software such as Parallels Desktop, VMWare's Fusion, or Virtualbox, etc, allows them to continue to be productive while learning the ins and outs of a new OS.

Virtualization lets you to run, say, Windows 7 OS, as a separate computer in a window on the Mac OSX desktop. You can then pop back and forth between operating systems and their programs while you get a hang on learning and utilizing the new Mac OSX.

Both 'systems', known as the Host and Guest, are completely separate but you can set up shared services so you can access the same documents/files on either system.

Running virtualization does slow your machine down a bit so doesn't work well for intensive apps that require full CPU/Memory resources. But for applications that only use a fraction of your host system it does fine, especially when you need to get some work done in an environment your fluent in.

A second option is to set up Dual-Boot, and allows you to boot the computer using one OS or another with all resources available to the OS -- but this option doesn't allow popping back and forth instantly. That option is only available with Virtualization.

A third option would be to have a Windows PC you can connect to remotely using your Mac.

...Just some thoughts

• Like 1

Hello,

2 years ago, I started working for a company which uses Apple environment. I was very curious and excited as I never worked before with Apple products and i was told that everything is quite intuitive.

The first weeks were disappointing and I always had the feeling that I am too stupid to work "intuitively". I never understood how things work with Apple. The great gestures hidden somehere and never knew where to find them.

Asking the admin, how I can do certain tasks, his standard answer was: " This is Apple, not Windows. You can't do that with Apple".

So, after a few weeks, nothing changed. Every day at work I suffered from a lot of frustration and went back home feling stupid. Having said that, my coworkers felt the same. Only the CEO - an Apple fanboy - thought that it is much better than windows.

I didn't find any benefit from working with Apple over Windows.

I guess it doesn't matter which one you use, once you commit yourself to just do it.

For me, I didn't have such a good experience with Apple.

Oh.. I have been working in the software industry for around 23 years.

• Like 1

When I started using MACs I noticed not how good the MAC was but how bad Windows and PCs in general are

That may be your experience but it is not mine; after a couple of months with my new Macbook, I find it pretty much on a par with my six-year-old Sony, somewhat to my disappointment. No matter, it's fun to learn something new.

Are you taking into account all the software updates with Windows that seem to almost be daily. Or the fact that Windows is much more prone to virus attacks than Macs. Of course there are always the major operating system upgrades that cost double with Windows over Mac. Then all the issues with some versions of Windows software not opening other versions. Certain things I do not like about Mac for sure but overall better than a PC

Hi there

A few of us at the company I work for have been informed that as of next week our Windows PC's are being replaced with Mac Desktops, which is great.

However, I have never used a Mac before and from what I hear from others who have switched over, the first couple of weeks can be hellish as you get used to the change.

Do any Apple users have any hints or tips for a complete noob who is about to break his Mac cherry?

Do you have any advice on making the transition easier, that wont interrupt my day to day work flow too much.

Of course I'll be Googling this but would also like to hear some feedback from users in the know

Thanks in advance

Best advice I can give, Don't try to do everything so complicated. It is usually much easier that you think.

I have used Macs since the early days of Mac Pluses, and IICX machines. Basically I prefer the operation of the hardware (trackpads etc) to most of the windows machines I've used

One glitch that emerged in the last year or so, supposedly as part of a software upgrade: I have two gmail accounts, one personal, and one I use for business. AppleMail insists on only sending email from the business account, no matter what account I think I have selected when I send the email. You cannot imagine how confusing this is to people receiving the email. It's also a known fault but maybe because it's only affecting gmail accounts, Apple don't seem to care. I'm thinking of taking my machine back and getting a refund, on the basis that the product isn't fit for purpose.

I have used Macs since the early days of Mac Pluses, and IICX machines. Basically I prefer the operation of the hardware (trackpads etc) to most of the windows machines I've used

One glitch that emerged in the last year or so, supposedly as part of a software upgrade: I have two gmail accounts, one personal, and one I use for business. AppleMail insists on only sending email from the business account, no matter what account I think I have selected when I send the email. You cannot imagine how confusing this is to people receiving the email. It's also a known fault but maybe because it's only affecting gmail accounts, Apple don't seem to care. I'm thinking of taking my machine back and getting a refund, on the basis that the product isn't fit for purpose.

Have you looked at the SMTP (send mail) server settings for your personal Gmail address? If the SMTP server is set with the username and password from your business address, then mail sent from your personal address will be "on behalf of" and include the return address from your business address. This is a Google thing and is meant to help prevent sent from forgeries - doesn't matter which platform or email application is being used.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

I have a win8 machine and a win7 machine, they both suk but the win8 machine suks way more..

Skype is a MicroSoft company, on the win8 machine the sound will not work at all and the Win8 Skype app is terrible, so much worse than the win7 version.. on the win7 machine it works but the sound is too quite, even when i plug headphones in.. the other guy can hardly hear me even after i turned up all the volume settings and mic settings

The only way I can use skype is to use it off my wife's ipad, the Skype for ipad works perfect, even though it's microsofts program

the reason i use windows machines is because a mac laptop is about 3 times as expensive but sometimes i think it would have been worth it

Apple is a bit totalitarian but they have QualityControl, Apple-has to approve any app that a 3rd party creates, if it don't work, it don't get approved.. with windows your expected to do hours of maintenance and tech support just to get basic stuff to work .. like i gues there's probably some way to get skype to work right, but i always just wind up asking my wife to borrow her ipad anytime i need to make a call..

Edited by pkspeaker

The best advice I can give is to just have a poke around, see what you can and can't work out, then come back and post specific questions on how to get something done.

When I switched, about 12 years ago, I just poked about and had the basics cracked in a day and a half. I'm still learning.

I found that I was looking for the complicated Windows way of doing things when most of the solutions were right under my nose and I wasn't "seeing" them.

It would help if you tell us which version of Mac OS you are using. Go to the little Apple icon at the top left of your screen, click on it and a dialogue will pop up withe the OS details.

Also, post back and give us an outline of your daily tasks - i.e., what you have to do and what Windows apps you were using to accomplish said tasks. That way, we can point you at the Mac apps that will enable you to do what you need to do. Often, it's the same app, just the Mac version and other times there will be a number of Mac apps that will be able to get a given task done for you.

Finally, I would suggest that you make it a priority to become familiar with Preview. It's an absolute gem and does a great deal more than many users realise and can save you some serious time, especially if you need to manipulate .pdf images/similar.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. ?

Being a Mac user, and previously Windooooze user.... you will find mac a lot easier....and faster... thumbsup.gif

... and generally more stable.

I helped someone install windows 8 then 8.1 (legit) last week .... what a nightmare..w00t.gif..... and then to sort out "how too" do things on 8 .... facepalm.gif

You'll like your Mac soon enough! wink.png

I use both PC's and Windows and have been in the I.T. industry since 1974, My Macbook is lighter, battery lasts longer, does not 'blue screen', switches on and off much quicker, has some great functions, but the basics we all do on a daily basis such as accessing email or using MS Office are pretty much the same.

I annoyingly don't get the latest versions of software, Microsoft office is still Office 2011, MS Lync is and will remain several versions behind and programs such as MS Project and MS Publisher are not available on the Mac (although there are Mac alternatives).

It's really down to user preference, new Windows laptops with SSD's have made up a lot of ground against Mac's and the new MS Surface Pro 3 is a great device - so you pay your money and take your chance!

For training - go to the Apple site and watch the tutorial videos, particularly the one for migrating from Windows - relax, enjoy it, it IS fun!

Grabbit

Are you taking into account all the software updates with Windows that seem to almost be daily. Or the fact that Windows is much more prone to virus attacks than Macs. Of course there are always the major operating system upgrades that cost double with Windows over Mac. Then all the issues with some versions of Windows software not opening other versions. Certain things I do not like about Mac for sure but overall better than a PC

Tell me more about these daily software updates on Windows.

Microsoft issue patches on a monthly schedule, and will issue out of band patches when they are considered critical.

Apple issues patches far less frequently, and tends to patch a load of bugs simultaneously. But they will also issue out of band patches if need be.

Trying to convince people that Apple is a better choice based on security is a lame argument.

ANY computer these days is inherently insecure and ultimately your own behaviour is the most important thing that protects you.

If you want to have a little glance at how many flaws there are in Apple products, fill your boots, so let's try and be accurate eh?

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=apple

And that includes naked celebrities.

wink.png

This often turns into a heated debate, both sides with frowns on their faces, arms crossed, jaws set. THIS IS MY OPINION BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I use both a PC and Mac, each have their strengths and weaknesses. I find the PC works better for general business applications, the Mac better for art (music, video) applications. It sounds like your office is giving you no choice, so buckle up, it may be a bumpy ride.

I find this very hard to believe

From the OP:

Which company would do that, switch from Windows to Mac without User Knowledge and no User Training ?

If they did that, that would (at least) mean there will be no work done for at least a couple of days / weeks.

To change from Windows to Mac in an organisation isn't as easy as this company seems to think it is.

But maybe I am to cynical.

From the OP:

Which company would do that, switch from Windows to Mac without User Knowledge and no User Training ?

If they did that, that would (at least) mean there will be no work done for at least a couple of days / weeks.

To change from Windows to Mac in an organisation isn't as easy as this company seems to think it is.

It says "a few of us".

From the OP:

It says "a few of us".

Oke My Bad.

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

This often turns into a heated debate, both sides with frowns on their faces, arms crossed, jaws set. THIS IS MY OPINION BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I use both a PC and Mac, each have their strengths and weaknesses. I find the PC works better for general business applications, the Mac better for art (music, video) applications. It sounds like your office is giving you no choice, so buckle up, it may be a bumpy ride.

Windows for Business Applications and accounting , gaming, CAD and Rendering - at least that is what i use windows for .

Apple for Facebook , Twitter, Face time , i-tunes and that nice illuminated apple looks nice when guests arrive.

Yes i have used both Windows and Apple. Each has its place.