car tire question

advancebooking

Hi there

I was washing the wifes car today and noticed that one of the tires looked like it could use some air. On closer inspection I noticed a small ding near the hub cap rim ie at the edge of the silver hub cap and the black tire.

There is also a square shaped thing protruding outwards from the black tire near the area Im talking about above. Its about the size of a 10 baht coin.

We took it to a local tire guy and he said its dangerous and to replace the tire is 2000 baht. I said we might shop around first.

Its hard to describe and maybe I can attach a photo tomorrow but do you think the tire should be replaced?

thanks

Any damage to what is called the 'wall' of the tire is dangerous. It cannot be repaired and the tire should be replaced.

You seem unfamiliar with the terminology so.... the 'wall' is the rounded almost vertical surfaces between the 'tread' (grooved bit that runs on the road) and the wheel 'rim' (what you are calling the 'silver hub cap')

Depending where you live (and your budget) you may be able to get a virtually new used tire from some of the roadside tire shops as they are usually swapping out peoples factory supplied tires when they buy the fancy new rims and expensive treads.

^He may have hub caps Nan, the rim is underneath them and not visible without removing the cap. Otherwise Nan is on track, sounds like a delamination blister from rubbing a curb and pinching the sidewall against the rim, he is right if that's the case, definitely a danger of sudden blow out and should be changed immediately but a pic or 2 might be nice to have to make a better determination. 2000b is reasonable too, maybe too reasonable, is that a new price? depending on how much mileage left I prefer to buy a used one so that I can change them all at once as likely the brand he'll sell you is not the same as you have but still even so don't like having my tires with unequal mileage and out of sync tread life wise..

Edited by WarpSpeed

if there's damage "at the edge of the silver hub cap and the black tire" - that's the tire wall and it can't be repaired unfortunately.
I'd suggest buying a tire from B-Quik - they give tires a lifetime warranty and will rotate them every 10,000km/6 months. Just in general, I find B-quik handy as they do lots of things for free: repair tread tire damage, top up battery water, add coolant and even top your tires up with air.

• Like 1

Ace of Pop , what do you remember about the Esso fiasco ?.We had customers who had Esso tires fitted onto caravans / motorhomes / trailers etc that didnt do many miles / kilometers per year and when the tires cracked with age , they were repeatedly replaced.For years.For free . Cost a fortune. Similar to the Hoover fiasco years later.