Abhisit enjoys a surge in popularity: Bangkok poll

Lite Beer

Abhisit enjoys a surge in popularity: Bangkok poll
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's popularity has jumped while Pheu Thai Party leader Yingluck Shinawatra's is waning, according to a new Bangkok Poll.

The poll showed Abhisit's popularity had increased by 5.6 per cent - from 18.4 in March to 24 now. Yingluck's popularity had plunged by 4.5 per cent - from 22.3 per cent to 18.4 per cent.

Most people want the Prayuth government to complete its mission in all areas, even if it takes more than a year.

Of the 1,170 respondents, 66 per cent wanted the government to keep going even if it took more than a year while 33.6 per cent wanted it to finish up within a year and call a general election.

Countering corruption is the issue that most people want the Prayuth government to tackle successfully within a year, with 30.8 per cent of respondents stating that, followed by boasting the economy (30.1 per cent) and healing divisions in the country (19.8 per cent).

Former Democrat MP for Phitsanulok Dr Warong Dechgitvigrom believes Pheu Thai's sagging popularity stems from corruption allegations in relation to scrapped rice-pledging scheme.

Warong welcomed the rising popularity of the Democrats, but warned the party not to say anything that could cause national divisions.

He said the National Council for Peace and Order should keep its promise and finish its mission within a year and return power to the people through an election.

Warong also hailed Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha's decision to scrap the purchase of a controversial sound system for the Cabinet meeting room. The 89 microphones, which were to come with LCD screens, had been quoted at Bt145,000 each.

The decision to stop the purchase followed public opposition and speculation about corruption.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Abhisit-enjoys-a-surge-in-popularity-Bangkok-poll-30243747.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-21

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this means we have at least two topics about the same poll. One title "poll reveals Prayuth Govnmt. should stay longer" and this "Abhisit enjoys surge".

Now that is nice. Maybe someone was thrown a bone? smile.png

• Like 2

No one can doubt his intelligence or resolve to move Thailand forwards, especially in comparison to Pheua Thai dinosaurs such as Chalerm and Plodprasop, but he's handicapped by his privileged city boy image and will never be accepted by the farmers upcountry.

His time could come again but I think for now it's time for the Democrats to change leaders and install Dr Surin, however Mark is stubborn and still believes he's the best man for the job. He's become a bit authoritarian himself too, he said the ex Democrat MPs should not stand as candidates for the Reform Council, yet there was no party resolution stating this.

You did not mention the fact the he was fabulously ineffective. Could have been due to his relatively young age. Maybe nobody would listen to him. But, he got so little done that it boggles the mind. He may be a good speaker, he may be good looking, but as a politician he is a decent manager, but not an effective leader. He should never be allowed to run for the office of PM again. Never. Even Obama is more effective as a leader, and that is not saying much.

How effective can you be when you have to deal with a global financial crisis and years of opposition protests?

No one can doubt his intelligence or resolve to move Thailand forwards, especially in comparison to Pheua Thai dinosaurs such as Chalerm and Plodprasop, but he's handicapped by his privileged city boy image and will never be accepted by the farmers upcountry.

His time could come again but I think for now it's time for the Democrats to change leaders and install Dr Surin, however Mark is stubborn and still believes he's the best man for the job. He's become a bit authoritarian himself too, he said the ex Democrat MPs should not stand as candidates for the Reform Council, yet there was no party resolution stating this.

You did not mention the fact the he was fabulously ineffective. Could have been due to his relatively young age. Maybe nobody would listen to him. But, he got so little done that it boggles the mind. He may be a good speaker, he may be good looking, but as a politician he is a decent manager, but not an effective leader. He should never be allowed to run for the office of PM again. Never. Even Obama is more effective as a leader, and that is not saying much.

How effective can you be when you have to deal with a global financial crisis and years of opposition protests?

Granted he had alot of issues he was wrestling with. But, I understand most of the individuals within his own party would not listen to a thing he had to say. Due to his age, and his overseas education and the years he lived overseas, he was discounted. He was about as effective as Obama is, when dealing with the congress or the senate. Which means, little to no effect.

Wonderful news - let's call for elections whilst the iron's hot, and the Democrats will break their long drought and win a general election fair and square.

To be doubly sure, Prayuth to replace Abhisit as Dem leader - what a Dream Team combination!

Just hope that these "Bangkok polls" are representative of the whole of Thailand ...

Plus being barely a majority part of a coalition government which in itself didn't have a large majority in parliament.

• Like 1

Wonderful news - let's call for elections whilst the iron's hot, and the Democrats will break their long drought and win a general election fair and square.

To be doubly sure, Prayuth to replace Abhisit as Dem leader - what a Dream Team combination!

Just hope that these "Bangkok polls" are representative of the whole of Thailand ...

Well, let's not get hasty suddenly. First the reforms.

Granted he had alot of issues he was wrestling with. But, I understand most of the individuals within his own party would not listen to a thing he had to say. Due to his age, and his overseas education and the years he lived overseas, he was discounted. He was about as effective as Obama is, when dealing with the congress or the senate. Which means, little to no effect.

Why would those people elect him to party leader time and again if they wouldn't listen to him?

You cant be serious? All it took for Thaksin to win their love and support was to get them easy loans and cheap health care. I am sure Prayuth can get their support as well once he makes available more than Thak did. It wont take much since Thak and YL lost so many supporters with her rice scam

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There has been comments about Marks privileged background on TV , that's fine ,however to have someone who understands both western and Asian cultures and respects both is unusual in Thailand, generally after returning back to Thailand they become complacent , Privileged might be said for the Tories in UK the Chardonnay set in OZ, all this doesn't encourage everyone to like them, Christ the mob running OZ is the most hated in history , however they all are there under the democratic process called fair and equal elections, now whether Mark is popular in the country or BKK is a point that Mark and the democrats will have to work on, leaving out popular vote buying policy's, I'm pretty sure when elections are held the Democrats will be there. clap2.gif

• Like 1

His high intelligence and ability was never in doubt and I agree he is preferable to the PTP dinosaurs.But he is a bit Jurassic himself and has no viable plan to move Thailand forward, not least because he is part of the problem.It is not sufficient to raise an occasional bleat when the Junta makes a misstep, his current strategy.I don't rule out entirely the possibility that his time could come round again but it seems unlikely not only because of the events of 2010 (it's pointess to go over that ground again but nobody rational would deny Abhisit was damaged by the experience) but also because of his character defects - surly,lacking in generosity of spirit, lack of empathy etc.He has his strong points - innate decency, broad vision etc but the total package is not fit for pupose.Surin as an alternative is with respect a silly idea - also contaminated by events prior to the coup, a bureaucrat at heart, too close to the unelected elites, too keen to please everybody and ending by pleasing nobody and (though no fault of his obviously and he is certainly no zealot) with a religious background that would be problematic.I would go out on a limb and suggest the Dems should find a leader that is not contaminated by recent events.I don't think the city boy image need be an impediment in itself if other qualities are present - empathy etc.Korn for example has the right instincts to make a national leader but he too is handicapped by an association with fanatacism (not personal but close to him).Final thought- you might not credit it but all my instincts yearn for Abhisit to come good.If he could show an extraordinary degree of courage and principle right now, he could perhaps shake off the past and position himself to take the country forward for the benefit of ALL Thais.But alas on past history, courage is not a prominent part of his character.

And that is Abhisit's problem, he IS a privileged city boy. Abhisit is a man who is Chinese, and he represents the very people who are similar to him : Chinese middle-class who are mainly in Bangkok. Yes, he has supporters from other social and economic groups in Thai society, but the back-bone or bulk of his support are the "Chinese middle-class" mainly from Bangkok.

What Thailand needs is a man who is symbolic of the biggest group in Thailand. He should be born in a rural area (preferably Isaan), be dark and NOT have Chinese features, and his background from his childhood family is a family who if today, would have an income of under 15000 baht per month. This type of man really would represent a massive group in Thailand, a man that the people can IDENTIFY with. Such a man can come forward and say "vote for me, I'ill unify the nation, I'ill also ban all demonstrations, I'ill root out corruption, I'ill carve out a new Thailand where EVERY Thai man is equal, no more special privileges for the elite, I'ill tell the Americans that they MUST give us benefits or we will head towards China, and I will also boost our tourism and trade with China, I'ill take money from BOTH the two big boys, and not just one of them".

With Abhisit, he was NOT born in rural Thailand, he was actually born in England, he does not eat sticky rice (or Isaan rice), and he is just so very different to the bulk of Thailand's people. He IS part of the elite, and the elite are so NOT symbolic of Thailand's people.

Thaksin is Chinese. It doesn't seem to have done him any harm.

Besides that, Abhisit's ancestors are Vietnamese.

Well, Thaksin is Chinese, yes, but he went all out to get the Thais to vote for him. The Thai-Thais, not the Chinese-Thais, the Thai-Thais make up the bulk of Thailand's people. And Thaksin being Chinese, well yes, a number of people on Thai Visa have used this issue of Thaksin being Chinese as part of their attack on him. That silly talk about how Chinese tycoon Thaksin is going to convert Thailand into a province of China (how Thaksin actually wants to see a massive increase in Chinese tourists, and how Thaksin wants massive Chinese capital investments in various infra-structure projects in Thailand).

As for Abhisit being Vietnamese, well, his supporters say that to cover up the fact that he is Chinese. His ancestors were Chinese who went from CHINA to VIETNAM, they was there for a few generations. So he's from China, via Vietnam. But those who want to hide his Chinese-nish point out his Vietnam roots. Chinese can spend a few generations in Vietnam, or Thailand, or Phillipinnes, but the Chinese features don't go away. They only go away when they marry non-Chinese people, as in the children won't look so Chinese.

It's like saying that a certain American is from Canada. Yes, his family spent a few generations in Canada, but they were from Europe. Americans from Europe, or Americans from Europe via Canada, surely, it IS the same thing ?

• Like 1

"Hooray, we are now more popular than the party that just got fired by an angry mob and the Army. Woo Hoo! "

blink.png

"And that angry mob, it was made up of OUR own supporters".

"Our angry mob also removed Thaksin in a coup back in 2006, and our mob was far greater in numbers back then, led by Sondhi. This time round, our mob was led by Suthep, the crowds were smaller. If Thaksin gets back in again, who is the THIRD man to lead our angry mob ? We'ill find somebody, but our crowd might be smaller still, third time round. More people will probably be bored and tired of such mass demonstrations. And everybody outside of Thailand really will be laughing at us".

:)

Well, Thaksin is Chinese, yes, but he went all out to get the Thais to vote for him. The Thai-Thais, not the Chinese-Thais, the Thai-Thais make up the bulk of Thailand's people. And Thaksin being Chinese, well yes, a number of people on Thai Visa have used this issue of Thaksin being Chinese as part of their attack on him. That silly talk about how Chinese tycoon Thaksin is going to convert Thailand into a province of China (how Thaksin actually wants to see a massive increase in Chinese tourists, and how Thaksin wants massive Chinese capital investments in various infra-structure projects in Thailand).

As for Abhisit being Vietnamese, well, his supporters say that to cover up the fact that he is Chinese. His ancestors were Chinese who went from CHINA to VIETNAM, they was there for a few generations. So he's from China, via Vietnam. But those who want to hide his Chinese-nish point out his Vietnam roots. Chinese can spend a few generations in Vietnam, or Thailand, or Phillipinnes, but the Chinese features don't go away. They only go away when they marry non-Chinese people, as in the children won't look so Chinese.

It's like saying that a certain American is from Canada. Yes, his family spent a few generations in Canada, but they were from Europe. Americans from Europe, or Americans from Europe via Canada, surely, it IS the same thing ?

"a number of people on Thai Visa have used this issue of Thaksin being Chinese as part of their attack on him." And here you are attacking Abhisit because he is Chinese!!! cheesy.gif

The fact is, people who point out that Thaksin is Chinese do that when people attack Abhisit (or "the elite") for being Chinese.

Thaksin is Chinese and Abhisit is Chinese. So being Chinese is irrelevant.