Metered taxis? LOL

phuketrichard

car broke down yesterday and had to take a bus from Khao lak, got off at the Heroines Monument to take the local Songtaew back to Kamala

A metered taxi passed, so flagged him down

Speaking thai told him where i wanted to go an he said 400 baht, i said no, put on meter, he said meter maybe 200 (its about 10 kms)

so i said correct

he said again 400

i said bye bye and took the songtaew 5 minutes later for 30 baht.

so its all bullshit!!!

Whats the purpose of having taxi's that can pick you up but still charge crazy prices??

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an interesting definition of "Not complaining."

There is no report to file. You call 1584, give them the vehicle number and what happened. It takes less time than making a post here.

What can be done? Do we report all the taxis on Phuket, because they are all doing the same. Will they move him to an inactive taxi sala post? cheesy.gif

Nothing has changed here in relation to public transport.

They can have a few media releases, and tell the world how the problem has been fixed, but the lucrative western tourist market is not fooled by Thai lies anymore.

It's going to take more than removing some bars and restaurants on the beaches to lure them back, and the clean up that is really needed on Phuket, is just not happening, despite the Thai Army being here for months now.

NKM, have you not read any of the news of the last six months?

The one way to ensure nothing will change is if people have the do-nothing defeatist attitude of you and Richard.

A bit harsh NJ.

I actively protest by not giving them 1 baht. I also advise friends and relatives visiting me, and Phuket, on how to minimise their exposure to "The Great Phuket Transport Rip Off" which now sees it cheaper to fly to Bangkok, than your taxi to the Phuket Airport.

Even meeting a random holiday maker in a bar, I advise them on the same.

Like many on Phuket, I have no faith in law enforcement, and the judicial process here.

Many have voted with their feet, and their baht, and now chose not to holiday, or live on Phuket, anymore. I have no doubt the lack of transport here was just another straw that finally broke the camel's back for them.

Seriously, what's going to happen? They arrest one taxi driver for not using the meter. They put it on the font page of the PG. Then, TV runs the article, and it's declared, "Mission Accomplished" by the authorities. Meanwhile, nothing has changed, with no one using the meter.

As I have stated before, the solution is to take away the power of the drivers to collude and set their ridiculous prices.

They need to introduce a flat fare hop-on / hop-off baht bus system on the coast road, between the beaches, and in relation to the taxis, they probably should look at a voucher system where tourists buy a voucher for around the meter price to their hotel, say, 500 baht, and take away the power of the driver to say "800 baht" or "100o baht." All the hotels can sell a return voucher back to the airport for the same price.

I only put forward a couple of ideas. I'm sure there are other solutions, but one thing is for sure, the transport "system" here is still broken, and no one seems to want to fix it, and it's well and truly to the detriment of the tourism industry on Phuket.

• Like 1

You have an interesting definition of "Not complaining."

There is no report to file. You call 1584, give them the vehicle number and what happened. It takes less time than making a post here.

What can be done? Do we report all the taxis on Phuket, because they are all doing the same. Will they move him to an inactive taxi sala post? cheesy.gif

Nothing has changed here in relation to public transport.

They can have a few media releases, and tell the world how the problem has been fixed, but the lucrative western tourist market is not fooled by Thai lies anymore.

It's going to take more than removing some bars and restaurants on the beaches to lure them back, and the clean up that is really needed on Phuket, is just not happening, despite the Thai Army being here for months now.

NKM, have you not read any of the news of the last six months?

The one way to ensure nothing will change is if people have the do-nothing defeatist attitude of you and Richard.

OK joe;

Go outside and flag down a few taxis as a test

be proactive tell them to turn in the meter and if they dont report them

report back here how many u reported>

Dont jump on the two of us cause we know the results of reporting the taxi's

also while ur at it report the tuk tuk's that tell you , you cant park on the street (on any beach road; Patong, Kata, Karon) cause its THEIR street and reserved for them

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

PhuketRichard and NKM,

by your assumptions that nothing will be done if you complain, and spreading your apathetic opinions re changes in Phuket, makes you part of the problem IMHO.

Like I said, I take action against them by not giving them 1 baht, and advice others on how to minimise their exposure to them.

It's not apathetic - it's a proactive and consious decision.

In case you haven't noticed, Chainsaw, many have been complaining about transport here for several years. What's ever been done about it?

^ In the light of every thing they have accomplished, I don't understand the defeatist attitudes. The mafias back has been broken. Karon and Patong mayors, head of the Patong taxi federations, along with about 200 others in supporting roles have been arrested, many are still in jail. Documents and bank records are still being investigated. Hundreds of taxi sala's have been removed, black plated taxi drivers are getting arrested and heavily fined all over the island, and having their vehicles seized left and right. Green plated taxi's are now forbidden from parking in public spaces in Patong, or from taking people to anywhere other than the airport. The new mayor of Patong is pushing for converting tuk tuks to hop on hop off baht buses. The situation at the airport has vastly improved as well, with more metered taxi's stationed up front, which can now pick up all over the island. Obviously it's still not 100%, but I have seen much of this with my own eyes. The war is far from over, but several battles have now been won. Big change has happened, and bigger change is still needed. They have accomplished more in the last 6 months than in the last 20 years. Until every tuk tuk driver is randomly drug tested (including alcohol), is converted to either "baht bus" hop on hop off for a nominal fee, or fitted with a meter, then the scams will continue and the islands reputation will continue to suffer.

pr had one incident of a meter taxi not wanting to turn on their meter and it's "Nothing has changed, nothing will ever change." I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous.

Sorry to hear your car broke down Richard. Phuket is still a bad place to have to rely on public transport.

In relation to public transport for tourists, local and expats, I'm sorry, I just have not seen any real postive change. Simple as that.

You mention things that need to be implemented - they simply are not being implemented, when they should be.

There have been meetings, discussions, even arrests, but what has really changed, on the ground, for tourists?

• Like 2

I don't often agree with NKM, but I do agree that a complete overhaul needs (needed) to be done on the public transport situation here. All vehicles need to have meters installed, whether they are green plates, metered taxis or tuk tuks ( at fair rates, not the extortionate rates now), and be allowed to pick up anywhere without fear of reprisals by the local lazy ass, smoking, drinking, ilk. There also needs to be a regular scheduled west coast bus service.

I hate to see it, but I'm already seeing the creep back into familiar haunts and positions in Rawai, Nai Harn and Karon. It's a shame really as after the mass arrests, that would have been the time to implement new laws to this scourge.

They came down heavy and hard on the beach encroachment, but really haven't done much to address the transport issue here.

Like you say, the opportunity was there to take the same approach with the transport mafia, yet no real positive change.

The drivers will blockade, protest, maybe get violent, and there will be negative publicity, but Phuket will have to take this hit before it will be able to finally get some sort of reasonable mass transport system up and running for everyone.

I have often stated, Phuket only requires the same transport options that exist in other tourist destinations in Thailand, nothing more, yet, we have so much less here.

Phuket likes to promote itself as a World Class Tourist Destintion, yet, it has a 3rd World public transport system.

Edited by NamKangMan

Hundreds of taxi sala's have been removed, black plated taxi drivers are getting arrested and heavily fined all over the island, and having their vehicles seized left and right. Green plated taxi's are now forbidden from parking in public spaces in Patong, or from taking people to anywhere other than the airport.

do we live on the same island??

at most 30 or 40 stands dismantled but the drivers still sit there waiting...

go to Patong anyday or night an u wil see at least 100 tuk tuk 's on beach road,

u will see green plated taxis there as well and in front of Junk Ceylon an just about everywhere on the island siting and waiting for customers.

Here in Kamala there are 2-3 places on the main road that usually have 3-4 green plated taxis an there are 2 places on the beach road that tuk tuk and the taix's park waiting

Not sure about down south as never go there

Take off ur rose colored glasses.

Its a start, nothing more an i have a wait and see attitude ( high season is on its way)

• Like 1

I think we all agree that there still is a long way to go before Phukets problems are sorted.

The improvement at the airport is great although the fairs need downward adjusting.

Tuk Tuk and green plate taxis have not been properly addressed. Has the call center been set up or are they in typical Thai style still talking about it ? - the holding pen at Loma park etc?

Hundreds of taxi sala's have been removed, black plated taxi drivers are getting arrested and heavily fined all over the island, and having their vehicles seized left and right. Green plated taxi's are now forbidden from parking in public spaces in Patong, or from taking people to anywhere other than the airport.

do we live on the same island??

at most 30 or 40 stands dismantled but the drivers still sit there waiting...

go to Patong anyday or night an u wil see at least 100 tuk tuk 's on beach road,

u will see green plated taxis there as well and in front of Junk Ceylon an just about everywhere on the island siting and waiting for customers.

Here in Kamala there are 2-3 places on the main road that usually have 3-4 green plated taxis an there are 2 places on the beach road that tuk tuk and the taix's park waiting

Not sure about down south as never go there

Take off ur rose colored glasses.

Its a start, nothing more an i have a wait and see attitude ( high season is on its way)

No, we live on the same island. I am just apparently much more aware and informed of the changes than you are. I walk Bangla rd. at least a couple hours twice a week talking to and helping tourists and I occasionally work at a major hotel there. I unfortunately must deal directly with tuk tuk and taxi drivers.

Everything I reported is accurate, what you have said is not. The number of salas removed are near 200, not 30 or 40. And there are far fewer green plated taxi's parked around Patong. I know because I often am in a position to help people find one.

One of the biggest problems was the inability of any vehicle to enter certain hotels without being harassed, threatened, blocked, or have the driver physically beaten. This has completely ended and that is a huge accomplishment.

I used to get harassed when parking my car or motorcycle in public spaces. Since this crackdown, not a single driver has bothered me. There is no doubt the overall behavior of drivers has vastly improved. I admit I am cautiously optimistic. If nothing comes of this, nothing ever will. It's Phuket's last chance, and this is why I get a little frustrated when people have a chance to make a difference and they don't. If this happens again, record the vehicle ID and call 1584 as well as the Consumer Protection Police Provincial Office and Complaints Center at 1135 which handles issues with taxis.

Richard, please take of the $#!( colored glasses.

NJ, I encourage you to do a little "field research." Dress like a tourist, don't speak Thai, and try to get a taxi or a tuk-tuk.

You will find they are off the meter, and it's still 400 baht from Patong to Kata in a tuk-tuk.

On that basis, it doesn't matter how many salas they have pulled down, and who has access to what hotels - they are still colluding to extort out of line prices from tourists, and therefore, transport has not come very far on Phuket.

Give it a try, you will see that the problem still exists, nothing has changed, and please give an honest post after you have tried it.

• Like 1

Is there a way to call a real Meter Taxi yet, to pick you up at home to go to airport?

try

www.phuketshuttle.com

I use them for all my trips to and from the airport,

all booked over the internet set agreed price,

For me fare from my Rawai house taxi pick up 850 thb, same as airport to home 850thb.

pay driver at end of trip always clean safe car and always on time....

Now I never use taxi touts or meter cabs anymore

i not complaining just stating what happened

am not going to bother wasting time calling as i know nothing will be done so why

suggest if u want, go out an flag down a TAXI and see what happens

than u can take the time to file a report.

"so its all bullshit!!!

Whats the purpose of having taxi's that can pick you up but still charge crazy prices??"

This is complaining