Adobe DNG ( Digital Negative ) from now ?

ETatBKK

hi there

just realised that Adobe stops updating the Adobe Camera RAW, since version 7.1 back May 2012. Adobe only maintains the Adobe DNG converter ( Digital Negative ) instead; latest version 8.6 by Jul 30, 2014.

understand that in a scenario of shooting in multi-brand RAW formats, and cameras with different ages, then the DNG converges all different RAW formats into one common DNG ( prior to JPG and TIFF conversion ). also it cleans up the necessary of installing multiple RAW codecs.

at this point of change, I hesitate if this is a future-proof format convergence, even though DNG is a solid implementation. would like to hear from you, what you do with it, especially those with new and old cameras ?

cheers

I have used ADC since its onset some years back. As a photog & field editor with UPI

and other agencies (I'm freelance) there are many cameras in use by everybody and

it's near impossible to always have the latest SW for RAW conversion so DNG is it.

DNG is the same as RAW...some will argue that it is better since it is "universal"...I like

it heaps...nuff said on my part. Time for other folks to voice their opinion...

I'm happy with my camera brands converter Capture NX 2 convert it to Tiff and work from there in photoshop.

The program is still a bit buggy (just need to know the bugs cancelling your settings out) but never crashes.

No real problem with it though.

The Newer NX-D though well....pffffff.

It seems Nikon don't give a toss about their users using badly coded software.

I should look into something new maybe.

thanks for your input ! sunshine, you cited two important aspects :

- work in a team, with different cameras different brands

- workflow from capturing an image to delivering a photo

together with another two aspects :

- individual with different camera different brands

- using different cameras over time

under these situations, Adobe DNG is a promising solution. my question now : would RAW only stay in the recording media, and once converted into DNG then DNG is the storage format in the harddisk ? would you keep the RAW as well ?

I'm happy with my camera brands converter Capture NX 2 convert it to Tiff and work from there in photoshop.

The program is still a bit buggy (just need to know the bugs cancelling your settings out) but never crashes.

No real problem with it though.

The Newer NX-D though well....pffffff.

It seems Nikon don't give a toss about their users using badly coded software.

I should look into something new maybe.

you bring up another important issue - quality of process, and quality of result

indeed Canon and Nikon ( or else ) come with own utility software, including functions of converting RAW to JPG / TIFF. yet, the quality of the process ( as in your case ) and the consistence of updating and maintaining these utilities are in question mark.

if you are using the Adobe workflow, either Photoshop or Lightroom, they provide more stable conversion quality over time from RAW to DNG, and from RAW to JPG / TIFF. the quality of conversion is reasonably good.

recently I completely switch over to DxO Optics Pro, a more versatile RAW to JPG / TIFF converter; and the quality of the result somewhat better than that of Adobe RAW workflow; especially on skin tone. I recovered some valuable pictures from RAW to JPG that could not be managed in the Adobe workflow.

now I puzzle if I should keep 'camera-specific' RAW as longterm storage format, or should I deploy 'neutral' Adobe DNG as a storage format.

^^^ RW, ETat & Tywais...gonna try and do 3 birds with one shot here....hope it works.

RW...This is gonna sound like a cheap shot but f you want to upgrade your SW then

that's entirely ...Ub2U! Niks CNX2 is really OK but I reckon there's better out there

such as Phase 1 Capture1...have a look at the trial...it's pricey though for the full

version. There's DxO Optica Pro and Adobe Camera Raw with DNG converter

in a bundle as Tywais mentioned....Go on...have a go!

Etat...I always keep the original RAW as it is required by the agencies I work with.

That said, the choice is yours if you have the storage space to keep both RAW &

DNG files .When I work I take the CF card(s) and then convert to DNG and work

from the DNG leaving the RAW files on them alone then store the cards for 6

months before wiping them...after I archive each RAW file. I know many photogs

who do not do this and archive only the DNG files. Personal choice I guess.

FYI...RAW files have a tendency to be changed by camera makers over time,

like with each new model....DNG stays the same and if anything changes it's

usually for the better. For now, DNG is about as universal as it gets.

I also use DxO Optics Pro for the same reason...skin tones, plus I like their

lens algorhythms a bit better than the rest too...especially since I work with

not only Nik lenses but Leica & Sigma.

Tywais...This ACR & DNG bundle seems the way Adobe is going these days

but...I did manage to locate a link for just the DNG converter by using Google.

Kinda after the fact now but you have some good SW in that bundle!

I've just loaded up CNX2 and also DxO Optics.

I lose a lot colour in DxO and just cant seem to get it as good as in NX2.

Just loaded it up in lightroom while it looks better than DxO its still lost colour.

Just tried using bridge but it's all in German. facepalm.gif

So loaded it up in Capture 1 and colour lost also.

Loaded it up in NX-D and it gives the same results as NX-2

Just fixed bridge and loaded with camera raw using all 3 colour space options still cant get the same colours, with the embedded colour space looks identical to lightroom.

User error maybe?

I think this is why I stuck with NX2.

Edited by rhythmworx

sunshine, you are right - DNG is the way to go for simplifying the ever changing RAW specifications. yet, keeping DNG as the only storage format, or keeping both DNG + RAW is a personal choice.

I know some agents have stringent requirements, on specific RAW and TIFF specifications. today I am over that stage.

from Camera RAW 7.2 ( Oct 2012 ), Adobe re-brand the RAW update as the DNG converter, and since never mention the DNG converter is bundled with the RAW converter. you could install the DNG converter individually and could operate it on its own.

sunshine, you are right - DNG is the way to go for simplifying the ever changing RAW specifications. yet, keeping DNG as the only storage format, or keeping both DNG + RAW is a personal choice.

I know some agents have stringent requirements, on specific RAW and TIFF specifications. today I am over that stage.

from Camera RAW 7.2 ( Oct 2012 ), Adobe re-brand the RAW update as the DNG converter, and since never mention the DNG converter is bundled with the RAW converter. you could install the DNG converter individually and could operate it on its own.

Yup...Adobe offers the DNG converter in a standalone configuration...always has.

RW & SS . . . it is a matter of workflow discussion. SS is absolutely right, don't switch between sRGB and Adobe RGB in a single workflow !!

in general, if your workflow involves lithography and industrial printing, go for Adobe RGB. if your photo will be displayed in electronic media, select sRGB; the colour will be more 'freshy'. even bringing your photo to 'street' photo printing shop, keep the colour space in sRGB.

I don't need an Adobe RGB workflow these days and I did switch to sRGB recently; I am happy with it so far.

Adobe RAW converter, DxO, camera RAW utilities, show significant differences in different colour spaces.

• Like 1

My windows colour profile is set to sRGB with the intents all set for photography so there is no switch in colour profile occurring as far as I'm aware of.

The only phenomena happening is nothing renders colour on file load as good as the cameras own software NX2

Now if I export a TIFF from NX2 and embed the colour profile in it, photoshop and the other programs match the colour of the original RAW file perfectly.

Which makes me question the other softwares ability at reading the Raw data.

SO,,,,,whilst typing this I changed the color space of the RAW in NX2 to mode II (Adobe RGB) and it now matches Dx0 Optics colour rendition of the Original unmodified RAW. Therefore Dx0 is automatically converting the colour space to ARGB.

Opened it up in Camera Raw and also Lightroom and they just do their own thing.

I will continue using NX2 for RAW and edit in the other programs, my orders are obeyed that way. smile.png

I will give it a try out on the Mac too just for an experiment.

• 4 weeks later...

just an update here !!

in Lightroom, I converted a recent photo session from Canon RAW to Adobe DNG. while I moved into the DxO Optics Pro workflow, then I realised that the DxO Optics Pro is NOT supporting any 'converted DNG'. ( nevertheless it supports original camera DNG from Leica, Pentax and more )

apparently, there is no workaround at the present version 9.5.2. I have to go back to Canon RAW as a start point of the workflow.

good to know . . .

• 4 months later...

I just started migration from Olympus RAW to use DNG when importing photos to Lightroom.

One of the benefits should be that the preview browsing becomes faster. My Macbook Air started to lag a bit when switching from one photo to another.

Downside so far has been that importing photos takes quite a lot longer time as the format is converted during the import.

http://digital-photography-school.com/make-lightroom-faster-by-using-dng/

I just started migration from Olympus RAW to use DNG when importing photos to Lightroom.

One of the benefits should be that the preview browsing becomes faster. My Macbook Air started to lag a bit when switching from one photo to another.

Downside so far has been that importing photos takes quite a lot longer time as the format is converted during the import.

http://digital-photography-school.com/make-lightroom-faster-by-using-dng/

there was a CODEC incompatibility history on Olympus ORF and converted ORF-DNG on OSX. you may trace this line of idea and get your Mac OS more smooth.