Decent & Affordbale Tablewine & Pricing for Restaurant?

moonseeker

Having been "raised' at teacher's get togethers in UK on Chateau Urinoir I'm more than happy to glug Montclair, a box lasts me 2 months. recently being sold as table wine (half a glass) at Baht 100.

However, this is instructive

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

A link to an article in the New Zealand Herald regarding wine tasting.......makes interesting reading.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/new-world/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503704&objectid=11334911

I found this particularly interesting.............

"The choices don't always receive universal approval. Harré says he has had many conversations with consumers after awards results.

"They'll say: 'Oh, I didn't much like that gold medal wine of yours.' The thing is, most people don't realise, we are judging on the technical quality of wine in many different areas - not just judging on taste." Judging is set against the standard required for each varietal - not just a personal preference.

Wine producers can also get in the judges' ears: "I'll get some saying to me that wine awards are inconsistent or unfair because they got a gold medal here and only a bronze there...that sort of thing. But you can only judge what is in front of you - not what you think the wine will be like in six months; how could you know?"

Just to add that a difference in atmospheric pressure (the weather) is thought to affect the sinuses therefore the perception/taste of a wine. In effect a "universal" agreement on a wine is not always possible, but a "consensus of opinion" is.

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot compare the prices between Thailand and Europe /Australia /North America because you don't pay Thai excise tax in those countries. The formula to calculate it (along with health tax, special government tax and God knows what other taxes) is quite complex, cif value, wholesale value and other factors are compounded and the result is always way more than you are happy to pay.

I had this discussion with customers over and over again, it is as it is and we are not in a position to change it.

You cannot compare the prices between Thailand and Europe /Australia /North America because you don't pay Thai excise tax in those countries. The formula to calculate it (along with health tax, special government tax and God knows what other taxes) is quite complex, cif value, wholesale value and other factors are compounded and the result is always way more than you are happy to pay.

I had this discussion with customers over and over again, it is as it is and we are not in a position to change it.

Raro I think we are all well aware of that (or at least I hope so whistling.gif ).

Would you care to comment on my question re retailer (normal shop) margin asked on the 4th earlier in this thread as that has nothing to do with taxes?

On the subject of a "decent and affordable table wine", I decided to try a wine I had seen which had recently surfaced in Big C Here in Patong, called "Wolf II".

The label says it is a Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz mix from the 2013 year, and on the back it boldly states, "Wine from South Australia" with the notation underneath it stating that it is "generated" by Knight Black Horse Winery Co. and consists of Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz grapes, 99% (don't know what the other 1% consists of?).

Well, IMO, you would be missing nothing if you didn't buy it..............in colour it is about two shades short of a Rosé, which is unusual for a wine from the above-mentioned grapes, on the nose it smells of nothing, and likewise on the palate as regards taste.

I never realised that South Australia could produce something that tasted just about nothing like wine, and whether it is actually imported as wine, or as grape juice, It matters not because the end result is a "nothing wine".