Bangkok is among world's 11 best shopping paradises

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 11 ????

Seriously the only time youd use the top 11 to praise yourself is when you dropped out of the top 10 to position 11 or only made position 11 in the first place...coffee1.gif

Have you had to go shopping recently? I mean anywhere. Doesn't matter where.

I can tell you now. It's a ghastly experience.

Frommers? Renowned? I've never heard of it.

You need to get out a bit more. Frommer's is a very popular travel guide. It's been around for decades.

Maybe where you come from.

Anyone who ever travelled anywhere around Europe back in the 70's would know that Frommers "Europe on $5 a Day" was the BIBLE that just about every western traveler carried...much like Lonely Planet became in later years.

• Like 1

Considering that shopping is a national obsession and that Bangkok is in effect just a massive shopping mall it would be a huge embarrassment if it didn't make the 'best of' list. I'm not expecting it to rate so highly when it comes to attractions such as museums, galleries and theatres though, and for a city the size of Bangkok that is a huge embarrassment.

They do have a 4D movie theatre - not many other places can boast that!

Shopper's paradise for cheap knock-offs that don't last any time before they fall apart is a better description...

I bought some T-shirts back in 2007 from the bargain stalls in MBK at 99bht each and still in good condition despite being worn every year. So, not all "cheap knock-offs" fall apart!

Top 11 ????

Seriously the only time youd use the top 11 to praise yourself is when you dropped out of the top 10 to position 11 or only made position 11 in the first place...

So despite several links to the story, you have no interest in reading it but think you can comment on it intelligently. Predictably, you failed. For this article Bangkok didn't "drop" out of anything at all (or rise in any list at all) and isn't in any "place" in your mythical, imaginary ranking.

Your post is currently slotted in as #63 in this thread. Actually, it has no ranking. If it did, your post would rank 68th and last. Lucky for you, then, that your post, like Bangkok in the list of shopping destinations, isn't actually ranked.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

Considering that shopping is a national obsession and that Bangkok is in effect just a massive shopping mall it would be a huge embarrassment if it didn't make the 'best of' list. I'm not expecting it to rate so highly when it comes to attractions such as museums, galleries and theatres though, and for a city the size of Bangkok that is a huge embarrassment.

They do have a 4D movie theatre - not many other places can boast that!

High 5s all round for that then.

I suppose the key component in the Bangkok shopping mall debate is the climate. It's too oppressive to do anything enjoyable outside so consquently people are forced to head for the aircon cover of generic Central shopping malls. Personally I prefer cities that you can walk around outside and explore, something that is practically impossible in Bangkok. There are the markets of course but who can spend more than a couple of hours in the sauna of JJ ? Even in winter I'd take New York, London, Melbourne, most European cities over Bangkok. At least they have more on offer than just hanging around in malls and have an atmosphere other than traffic fumes.

• Like 1

I'm a thrift store, garage sale shopper, so Bkk is as interesting, to me (as a shopper), as last week's Hostess Twinkie. I'm glad I'm not married to a Thai. She would probably want to drag me to a mall every day to buy bling bling crap. Ahhhh, the satisfaction of bachelorhood.

Haha. I hear ya however I did give up batchelorhood for a Thai missus and she's a rare breed that hates bling/malls and much prefers to mooch around antique markets and thrift stores for more unusual bits and bobs. The problem with all that is that since eBay there are less bargains to had nowadays. As usual I hold the USA directly responsible for ruining everything.

The media really needs to check other media sources. This article was from a travel blogger - not Frommer's. This is one person's take on shopping and meaningless to all but the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Well... it's on the Frommer's site, directly. If it's not Frommer's then Frommer's is misrepresenting Frommer's website to Frommer's website readers. It is labelled "copyright by Frommer's". The author is the Australian travel writer Charis Atlas Heelan, who is officially a Frommers.com contributor, according to Frommers.com.

http://goo.gl/Pxxqmg

Bangkok is not "number 11". The slideshow-article doesn't give ranking. Bangkok is listed third, which seems to have no special meaning. It's not alphabetical either.

If I were TAT, I'd be thrilled that Frommer's was telling people to deposit lots and lots of loot in Thailand. That said,whether the article is interesting is pretty much a subjective opinion. I couldn't get through it. If they had a slideshow-article on the 11 top disco paradises or one on the 11 top khao thom markets, I'd be riveted.

Good catch.

However, the article on Frommers is "The Worlds Best Markets and Bazaars"....where they list Chatujak, Patpong and Pratunam...

Not quite how TAT represented is as "Bangkok among the world's 11 best shopping paradises".

...but it was a nice try.

Actually last week I went to the National Museum in Bangkok, and it was empty... Just a few tourists wandering around, I spoke to one of the Staff and she told me, that Thai people are not really into that thing ???

That was her exact words ??.... Oh well then... Each to our own..

Entry was 200 baht...

You went to the wrong Thai National Museum. Heard of Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood?