Induction cooking plate - recommendations?

can you use any metal pots and pans on these ?

steel or aluminum ?

I was thinking of getting one , it is 1800 watts , is that enough power ?

I think the aluminium ones have to have the ringed bottom suitable for induction. Some have copper inserts. 1800 watts should be enough. Think about an electric hot pot/slow cooker, they are great for meat potatoes and vegetables

steel or aluminum ?

I have a Cuzimate (Robinsons), 2000W, works great.

Don't think it works with aluminum though. I have a frying pan it does not work with, and I think that pan is made of aluminum.

I bought it over a year ago. Cannot remember the price. Definately under 2000 baht, way under I think, maybe around 1200-1500.

steel or aluminum ?

Test the bottom of the pot or pan with a magnet. If the magnet sticks, then it can be used with an induction cooker.

• Like 1

I purchased 2 inexpensive induction cook plates, around B1000 or so each and both failed within a year. Lesson learned, I purchased a decent quality one at Emporium for about B2300 two years ago and it has worked perfectly since.

Usually the covered pan they include with these units is very thin and poor quality and pretty much useless except for boiling water. Food burns right through the thin bottom...check the pan for quality if it is included in the price.

The cooker only works with steel/iron pans. I purchased a composite material frying pan that said on the label that it would work with an induction cooker but it did not.

I really like it for routine tasks like boiling water but cooking foods takes some getting used to. The higher heat settings tend to get VERY hot, very quickly...very easy to burn things and not easy to subtlety control cooking temperature.

I am fortunate to also have a gas ring so I can use both but if I did not have gas, the cook top would be OK...just a learning curve to it.

BTW, if you get out to IKEA at all, they have a great line of heavy bottomed, steel frying pans in several sizes that work really well on the cooktop. The smaller one is about B700, the larger about B1000.

Edited by dddave

Check how much power you can drain from the wall sockets in your apartment. During cooking you may be using a rice cooker, microwave and induction plate at the same time.

Easiest check for pan that can be used for an induction plate is taking a magnet with you. If it sticks firmly to a pan, that pan works efficient on induction. Ikea 365 series works well.

Frying works very well but if you like to wok this does not work well on a flat induction plate. However, there exists special wok induction plates that are not flat and come with a matching wok pan

I have had a "AJ" brand for about six years now, and still working well~! I seem to remember it was about 1000 baht...

As for the pots / pans ... if you look at the ones Tesco sells (perhaps other stores?) they say on the label whether they can be used for these induction plates! wink.png

^ as poster Paul 944 says, do be careful running too many things at the same time!

Edited by samuijimmy

steel or aluminum ?

I wouldn't worry about enought power - induction cookers are ridiculously quick and I only ever use 2000w for boiling water. Stainless steel works well but is not ideal for frying because you'll get hot spots. Cast iron or aluminium with a steel base is better for frying.

steel or aluminum ?

I wouldn't worry about enought power - induction cookers are ridiculously quick and I only ever use 2000w for boiling water. Stainless steel works well but is not ideal for frying because you'll get hot spots. Cast iron or aluminium with a steel base is better for frying.

The thicker the steel base, the better the heat distribution and retention.