NESDB study reveals massive wealth inequality; 15.6 million Thais deemed 'poor'

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that the 3 poorest provinces are not in Issan!

Sadly the recent turn of events in Thailand, supported by so many clueless people on here, shows the elite will continue to dominate and pillage the nation of its wealth for the forseeable future.

Hey but look at the GINI survey. Thailand is far better off than the USA that's one reason why so many Americans choose to retire here.

I'd like to know what % of those wealthy "Thai's" are actually "Thai-Chinese" . . . I'm guessing a fairly large proportion. But they're "Thai", so that doesn't count I guess.

And your point is?

The point being, that for a country that is so xenophobic against foreigners in general and proud that they have "never been colonized", the integration of the "Chinese" (for example) into the "Thai" population has gone so deep and is rarely remarked upon, that's all.

That same "integration" certainly doesn't seem to have happened with the mixing of Thai(s) and other nationalities so far, Caucasians for example . . . maybe it's still early days.

Same in Malaysia , the Chinese Malay has all the money the native Malay has nothing, like Thailand.

Chinese Malay don't have "all" the money, but they do have most.

Same, same with Chinese descendents in the Philippines. The vast proportion of wealth there is Chinese-based.

The Chinese emigrated throughout Asia with very similar results everywhere they settled.

The point being, that for a country that is so xenophobic against foreigners in general and proud that they have "never been colonized", the integration of the "Chinese" (for example) into the "Thai" population has gone so deep and is rarely remarked upon, that's all.

That same "integration" certainly doesn't seem to have happened with the mixing of Thai(s) and other nationalities so far, Caucasians for example . . . maybe it's still early days.

Same in Malaysia , the Chinese Malay has all the money the native Malay has nothing, like Thailand.

Same, same with Chinese descendents in the Philippines. The vast proportion of wealth there is Chinese-based.

The Chinese emigrated throughout Asia with very similar results everywhere they settled.

The Chinese emigrated throughout Asia the world with very similar results everywhere they settled.

Canada, United States, Australia, and many other countries, they added to the immigrant success story.

As for the Chinese in Africa today, they make Cecil Rhodes look like a philanthropist.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If this country would let democracy grow then it would fruit but there are always powerful people who are trying to stop this process... but the folks are waking up and realize what is going on. Their grandparents could not read and didn't understand it, their parents could read but still didn't understand but the new generation can read and understand and they will win....

Just recently read where a lot of the students are still functionally illiterate. How ever that is still as you say better than their parents.

One must ask them selves. Was Thailands future brighter under the Democratic government that was thrown out of power by the army. Or is it brighter now with them running it and openly stating their aims along with a time frame for an election.

I vote for the Army. Now as to what the future will bring we can only guess and hope. If they stick to their plan it looks bright. There are always going to be the nit pickers who will focus on one item and ignore the whole picture. That is OK because in the long road they will be shown up for what they are and what there reasonable wants for Thailand are. ZERO.

giver the army it's chance to cut down on the corruption. Don't be ignorant and say they should get rid of it all. That is a human impossibility and they admit it. They in their transparent way have admitted that after they have turned the country back over to the citizens to elect their own leaders there will still be a lot of work to do. Compare that to what the last government said. I think it was some thing like

"give me six months"

Yes, give the military its chance. And if it doesn't succeed, there is always another coup waiting in line to bring its brand of governance on the People. I'd rather see the People have another chance but they don't control the power of the nation.

Just who is going to pull off this coup. Have you a time schedule for it. You have selective eyes. It has been posted many times that the military admits it can't do it all and that the next elected Government in about a year will still have lot's of work to do.wai.gif

Interesting that the 3 poorest provinces are not in Issan!

Sadly the recent turn of events in Thailand, supported by so many clueless people on here, shows the elite will continue to dominate and pillage the nation of its wealth for the forseeable future.

I am glad to hear you admuit you are clueless. There for a while I thought you believed your B S.

And your point is?

Kind of makes you wonder if maybe they know things you don't. Or are willing to work hard for what they have.

Its nearly the same in USA

Just watch this video.

USA. 41. Thailand 64. No USA ranks quite a bit higher in inequality.

https://www.cia.gov/...r/2172rank.html

For the USA:

[Just prior to President Obama's 2014 State of the Union Address, media reported that the top wealthiest 1% possess 40% of the nation’s wealth; the bottom 80% own 7%; similarly, but later, the media reported, the "richest 1 percent in the United States now own more wealth than the bottom 90 percent". The gap between the top 10% and the middle class is over 1,000%; that increases another 1000% for the top 1%. The average employee "needs to work more than a month to earn what the wealthiest earns in one hour."]

Source is Wikipedia. Yes, inequality is everywhere and is unsustainable in terms of a healthy society. Unfortunately, it is the nature of capitalism and free markets. This is where the government has a role...although most far right pundits would prefer that the government do nothing.

Edited by Berkshire

Just watch this video.

USA. 41. Thailand 64. No USA ranks quite a bit higher in inequality.

For the USA:

[Just prior to President Obama's 2014 State of the Union Address, media reported that the top wealthiest 1% possess 40% of the nation’s wealth; the bottom 80% own 7%; similarly, but later, the media reported, the "richest 1 percent in the United States now own more wealth than the bottom 90 percent". The gap between the top 10% and the middle class is over 1,000%; that increases another 1000% for the top 1%. The average employee "needs to work more than a month to earn what the wealthiest earns in one hour."]

Source is Wikipedia. Yes, inequality is everywhere and is unsustainable in terms of a healthy society. Unfortunately, it is the nature of capitalism and free markets. This is where the government has a role...although most far right pundits would prefer that the government do nothing.

Inequality is not the same everywhere by any means. It's just laziness to think so. The US and UK have very high levels of ineuality, but that's not true of the other countries of Europe nor of Japan. Inequality is not some natural result, it's the result of the rich getting control of government, e.g. Reagan and Thatcher.

500px-2014_Gini_Index_World_Map%2C_incom

I'd like to know what % of those wealthy "Thai's" are actually "Thai-Chinese" . . . I'm guessing a fairly large proportion. But they're "Thai", so that doesn't count I guess.

Exactly. The Chinese own a great portion of Thai businesses. I believe the owner of Red Bull is part Chinese. My girlfriend works for a major sports company. They manufacture sports attire, etc.. The majority of her clients are Thai/Chinese. They have big bucks. I asked my gf about this and she put it bluntly. Regular Thai are farmers and poor. The Chinese Thai are educated and business minded. I know it's not good to stereotype, but there is some truth to what she said.

The situation here reminds me of the Jewish population back in America. Jewish people are smart and are businessmen. They practically own most of big business. They control most of Americas wealth. Starbucks, Facebook, Google, Levis, Hollywood, music, fashion, NBA, MLB, and the list goes on.

And your point is?

Chinese are very business minded. They tend to work very hard, and they are smart people.

Just watch this video.

Mind blowing. It's only going to get much worse. I feel bad for the young people. They are the ones that will feel the weight of the inequality. Earning a living has gotten very difficult in America. I live in the North East and it's gotten so expensive over the last 20 years.

America and Thailand are more alike than we realize.

Nobody needs another 'study' to know that distribution of wealth is a problem world wide. The smallest amount of people on the Planet have a largest amount of money and the largest amount of people have the smallest amount of money. Things will only ever marginally change because the wealthy will never give up any of their booty to the poor.

India has got all excited about it's Mars rocket and so on but why do they need to spend such vast amounts of dosh on something like that when 300 million people in the country don't even have an inside toilet and about 150 million don't have electricity ? This is just one of a huge number of things in the world that could be mentioned. Such 'studies' are a waste of space.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And your point is?

That same "integration" certainly doesn't seem to have happened with the mixing of Thai(s) and other nationalities so far, caucasians for example . . . maybe it's still early days.

Total nonsense! The share between Malays and Chinese in Malaysia is almost 50:50 now, but that is not because of the Malays business acumen, but racist policies favouring them. The Malaysian Indians however....

Good to see democracy working so well in LOS.

If this country would let democracy grow then it would fruit but there are always powerful people who are trying to stop this process... but the folks are waking up and realize what is going on. Their grandparents could not read and didn't understand it, their parents could read but still didn't understand but the new generation can read and understand and they will win....

Just recently read where a lot of the students are still functionally illiterate. How ever that is still as you say better than their parents.

One must ask them selves. Was Thailands future brighter under the Democratic government that was thrown out of power by the army. Or is it brighter now with them running it and openly stating their aims along with a time frame for an election.

I vote for the Army. Now as to what the future will bring we can only guess and hope. If they stick to their plan it looks bright. There are always going to be the nit pickers who will focus on one item and ignore the whole picture. That is OK because in the long road they will be shown up for what they are and what there reasonable wants for Thailand are. ZERO.

giver the army it's chance to cut down on the corruption. Don't be ignorant and say they should get rid of it all. That is a human impossibility and they admit it. They in their transparent way have admitted that after they have turned the country back over to the citizens to elect their own leaders there will still be a lot of work to do. Compare that to what the last government said. I think it was some thing like

"give me six months"

Slightly off topic but in the UK the New Labour party under Ed Milliband want 10 years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29339137

'Can't fix economy'

Setting out his 10-year plan to build a "world-class Britain" at the Manchester conference, Mr Miliband promised to raise the minimum wage by £1.50 an hour by 2020 and give 16 and 17-year-olds the vote.

For the USA:

Inequality is not the same everywhere by any means. It's just laziness to think so. The US and UK have very high levels of ineuality, but that's not true of the other countries of Europe nor of Japan. Inequality is not some natural result, it's the result of the rich getting control of government, e.g. Reagan and Thatcher.

Geez, man, get a grip. The term "everywhere" was used figuratively, not literally. And your map is a bit goofy. Hard to believe inequality is worse in the USA than India.

But the point is capitalism almost requires inequality because people will never produce the same amount. It's when the wealthy use their advantage (e.g., political connections) to become even more wealthy that causes the massive inequality we see today. Most countries that have fairer distribution of wealth are typically small, wealthy countries. Thailand could certainly do better...but then, so can the USA and other "more developed" economies.

Geez, man, get a grip. The term "everywhere" was used figuratively, not literally. And your map is a bit goofy. Hard to believe inequality is worse in the USA than India.

But the point is capitalism almost requires inequality because people will never produce the same amount. It's when the wealthy use their advantage (e.g., political connections) to become even more wealthy that causes the massive inequality we see today. Most countries that have fairer distribution of wealth are typically small, wealthy countries. Thailand could certainly do better...but then, so can the USA and other "more developed" economies.

Is it really necessary to point out that inequality is not binary, but admits of degrees? The fact that some degree of inequality is unavoidable is just too tedious to bother discussing. The relevant point for the world today is that inequality is increasing in some places, such as the US, to historic levels resulting in political, social, and economic problems. And there are certainly large countries that exhibit low income Ginis, such as Germany and Japan, and also Euroland, if you count that as a country. The point is that significant income inequality is not an unavoidable byproduct of capitalism nor does it characterize large economies specifically. It is not explained by some naive appeal to supposed first principles, such as that some people produce more than others. It used to be believed that inequality declined as a country's economy matured and it joined the group of fully-developed countries. None of that turns out to be true. Rather it is an indication of countries where the majority have lost control of the political process to the hands of the rich and their representatives, as in the US and UK.

As for the case of India, the table below reports a 2004 income Gini for India of 36.8 and a 2007 income Gini for the US of 45. There are discrepancies among agencies estimating Ginis and it is quite possible, even probable, that India's income distribution equality has worsened since 2004. But, yes, the income distribution of the US is egregious and getting worse quickly. In particular, it is far worse that Americans imagine it to be.

Is it really necessary to point out that inequality is not binary, but admits of degrees? The fact that some degree of inequality is unavoidable is just too tedious to bother discussing. The relevant point for the world today is that inequality is increasing in some places, such as the US, to historic levels resulting in political, social, and economic problems. And there are certainly large countries that exhibit low income Ginis, such as Germany and Japan, and also Euroland, if you count that as a country. The point is that significant income inequality is not an unavoidable byproduct of capitalism nor does it characterize large economies specifically. It is not explained by some naive appeal to supposed first principles, such as that some people produce more than others. It used to be believed that inequality declined as a country's economy matured and it joined the group of fully-developed countries. None of that turns out to be true. Rather it is an indication of countries where the majority have lost control of the political process to the hands of the rich and their representatives, as in the US and UK.

As for the case of India, the table below reports a 2004 income Gini for India of 36.8 and a 2007 income Gini for the US of 45. There are discrepancies among agencies estimating Ginis and it is quite possible, even probable, that India's income distribution equality has worsened since 2004. But, yes, the income distribution of the US is egregious and getting worse quickly. In particular, it is far worse that Americans imagine it to be.

I'm not sure, but it seems that you and I agree. I personally believe gross inequality to be something evil to the extreme....I mean society-destroying sort of extreme. The US in particular is heading towards great calamity if something is not done about it (albeit it may take several generations). Thailand should also heed the warning.

I would not mind betting a lot of their ancestors were around during the "Shin" dynasty. whistling.gif

Gini-coefficient of inequality: This is the most commonly used measure of inequality. The coefficient varies between 0, which reflects complete equality and 1,

http://web.worldbank...:430367,00.html

USA. 41. Thailand 64. Australia 120.

Where did you get these numbers?!

USA 45 Thailand 39.4 Australia 30.3