Bangkok taxi drivers call for fare increase

webfact

Taxi drivers call for fare increase

9-23-2014-11-47-51-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Taxi drivers in the capital today asked the government to allow adjustment of taxi fares after LPG and NGV fuel prices for transport use go up next month.

They said the starting rate of taxi fare has been capped at 35 baht for the first three kilometres for a decade though LPG prices were adjusted up several times.

Representing the taxi drivers in the call for higher taxi fares is Mr Vitoon Naewpanich, president of the Network for Tax Cooperatives.

Mr Vitoon submitted a letter to the Cabinet via its People’s Service Centre at Government House.

He said the call was earlier made to the Energy Minister but so far it is not responded.

The call includes 20% increase in taxi fare in accordance with distance, extension of service years for taxis from 9 to 12 years, and exemption of tax for car which is to register for taxi services.

He also said that if taxi is forced to use the same metre rate or 35 baht for the first three kilometres, then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers

Yesterday Energy Minister Narongchai Akrasanee affirmed that his ministry will increase prices of LPG and NGV at the beginning of next month.

This will be followed by a lifting of the 30-baht price cap on diesel, he said.

The minister said the move will create fair structure of energy prices but said assistance measures will be carried out to help people with low income.

At present, the production cost of NGV in Thailand is at 15-16 baht per kilogramme but the fuel is sold at 10.5 baht per kilogramme.

After the price increase, taxi drivers can still use their licence to purchase the fuel at 8.5 baht per kilogramme.

As for LPG, its price for transport use is at 21.38 baht a kilogramme, cheaper than the price for household use, which stands at 22.63 baht.

LPG prices in the two sectors will be narrowed down before they float up to reflect their real production costs. The previous government plan to increase LPG prices in both sectors to 24.82 baht per kilogramme. Registered low-income people and street vendors will be able to purchase LPG at 18.13 baht a kilogramme from next month.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong said he will convene a meeting to review all public transport fares on September 27.

The meeting will consider the cost of living, energy structure and inflation, he said, noting that it will not pay much attention to the government’s this year inflation target of 2-2.5 percent.

On calls from taxi operators to raise fare by 15-20 percent, he said he would invite taxi drivers for discussions after the September 27 meeting.

The transport minister also said he has instructed the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRT) to delay its plan to increase subway fares next month until at least the end of this year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxi-drivers-call-fare-increase/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-23

• Like 1

I believe an increase up to B45 or B50 is justifiable. I have not had to many issues with Taxi's, the odd one refusing to take me to a specific location, normally toward Silom, yet the next taxi along will take me and i will see the original taxi a few cars ahead heading that direction anyway....

Been using the UBER service more and more, has it's good point and it's bad point but overall a good option.

I'd make the initial charge 50 baht.

They should have an 'extras' button for each extra passenger, say 10 baht per extra person.

So if four people want to go just down the street and the meter doesn't move, at least the driver gets 80 baht

Might encourage people to walk or taxi share. whistling.gif

• Like 2

stop refusing fares then come back and ask again ...you will have more money by that time also...brain dead donkeys

put up the fare and the automatic tip I give will evaporate...I had 7 taxis refuse to take me to swampy from Asoke (10 am) only 3 days ago

From the taxi rank?

I don't think so.

Taxi operators demand PM Prayut to approve fare hike

BANGKOK, 23 September 2014 (NNT) - Members of the Bangkok Taxi Cooperatives Network (BTCN) gathered at the Government House this morning to submit their demand for a fare hike to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-O-cha.

President of the BTCN Withoon Naewpanich submitted a petition to General Prayuth calling for the fare increase to help them cope with the Energy Ministry’s policy to increase the prices of NGV and LPG natural gases as well as the higher cost of living. The group earlier submitted a similar request to the Minister of Transport but the request has not been met so far.

Therefore, they turned to Prime Minister Prayut asking him to comply with three conditions. The first condition is to allow taxi operators to raise taxi fares by 20 percent based on the distance traveled. The second condition is to increase the maximum operational lifespan of public taxis from 9 years to 12 years. Lastly, the taxi network has requested the Prime Minister to exempt tax for cars that are to be registered as taxis.

Mr. Withoon also stated that if the requests are not met, the taxi drivers might resort to using the old system of price negotiations in which the driver and the passenger mutually reached a price agreement without applying the meter. Withoon said however, that should this system be brought back, then it would be against the international rule of law.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-23 footer_n.gif

If the regulation that taxis had to be no more than 9 years old was enforced that would be appreciated. Horrible, when there's no others available, to get into a smelly, worn out banger with collapsing seats and negligible air conditioning and have to pay the same fare as in a brand new one.

• Like 1

This is incorrect as it is 35 baht for the 1st kilometre. The last fare 'rise' was back in 2006 when it was changed from 35 baht for the first 2kms to the 1st 1km. Not sure where PBS got 3 kms from?

They said the starting rate of taxi fare has been capped at 35 baht for the first three kilometres for a decade though LPG prices were adjusted up several times.
  • Like 1

"then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers"

Return?

Yes, return, taxis have not always had meters.

Metered taxis have only been around for about 20 years or maybe a bit more. Before that every trip required a negotiated fare.

"then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers"

Return?

Yes, but I seem to have to negotiate as often as not when in town.

Though the negotiations consist of

me: 'meter'

taxi: 'no blah blah baht'

me: 'bye'

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

"He also said that if taxi is forced to use the same metre rate or 35 baht for the first three kilometres, then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers"

Making threats to get there way is certainly the Thai way. The jet ski mafia did the same thing. They said if they weren't allowed to operate, thier "staff" would resort to robbing tourists. (as opposed to merely extorting them)

Edited by NomadJoe

"He also said that if taxi is forced to use the same metre rate or 35 baht for the first three kilometres, then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers"

Making threats to get there way is certainly the Thai way. The jet ski mafia did the same thing. They said if they weren't allowed to operate, thier "staff" would resort to robbing tourists. (as opposed to mealy scamming them)

The army should come down on them hard. If they did not make much money there would not be so many taxi's. Increasing by 20% is just crazy.. Just put 15 baht on the starter rate and let them be happy. Plus any taxi driver that wont take a fair should get fined.

• Like 1

Increase the initial fare to 50 Baht as long as less taxi will start refusing your ride. Have the MIB check more in tourist areas Sukhumvit Soi 11 etc. Also do an official fine of 1000 Baht for a driver who refuses to take a customer. That should scare a few off.

I am using more and more UBER and GRAB taxi... both work well.

As long as many taxi drivers have enough money to lower their cars and make the shockers/dampers more uncomfortable for guests or downgrade their exhaust to make it more loud I would say they earn more than enough money.

So far taking a taxi within Bangkok for us is a no-brainer. Even for short distances.

We probably might think twice if take a taxi or maybe for some distances a bus if rates go up...

As a taxi driver in Oz I get a 120B flag fall and about 80B per KM.

How the poor sods who drive in BKK make a living I could not comprehend. I appreciate there are different cost of living factors, but they deserve a price rise. We get a cost of living adjustment once a year (the last 2 years under 3% angry.png ), it is a pity they BKK drivers do not get this.

• Like 1

Increasing fares by 20% is not insane.

How much have taxi fares increased in your country since 1992? In Canada it increased by 100% for both public transport and taxi.

Why is it unfair? It is pretty damn fair.

Yes. Tourists get scammed. I got scammed in my own country by taxis who earn a very good living yet demand 15% tip.

Taxi fares in Bangkok are a joke. If they remain low it's dangerous. There WILL BE more scams.

• Like 1

"The call includes 20% increase in taxi fare in accordance with distance, extension of service years for taxis from 9 to 12 years, and exemption of tax for car which is to register for taxi services."

I don't mind the 20% extra, but extending service years will make many of the old wrecks even less safe and less comfortable than they are today, which is a bad idea, and considering that tax on the car is probably the only tax the taxi drivers have ever paid, I see no reason for that exemption either.

Return?

Metered taxis have only been around for about 20 years or maybe a bit more. Before that every trip required a negotiated fare.

Yeah, but you could hire a Mercedes sedan with driver for B1k/day if you stayed in BKK--about B500 in today's money.

Edited by smotherb

Taxi operators demand PM Prayut to approve fare hike

BANGKOK, 23 September 2014 (NNT) - Members of the Bangkok Taxi Cooperatives Network (BTCN) gathered at the Government House this morning to submit their demand for a fare hike to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-O-cha.

President of the BTCN Withoon Naewpanich submitted a petition to General Prayuth calling for the fare increase to help them cope with the Energy Ministrys policy to increase the prices of NGV and LPG natural gases as well as the higher cost of living. The group earlier submitted a similar request to the Minister of Transport but the request has not been met so far.

Therefore, they turned to Prime Minister Prayut asking him to comply with three conditions. The first condition is to allow taxi operators to raise taxi fares by 20 percent based on the distance traveled. The second condition is to increase the maximum operational lifespan of public taxis from 9 years to 12 years. Lastly, the taxi network has requested the Prime Minister to exempt tax for cars that are to be registered as taxis.

Mr. Withoon also stated that if the requests are not met, the taxi drivers might resort to using the old system of price negotiations in which the driver and the passenger mutually reached a price agreement without applying the meter. Withoon said however, that should this system be brought back, then it would be against the international rule of law.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-09-23 footer_n.gif

Threats and conditions!

Don't think the general will like that, or will he simply capitulate?