asked immigration about change reason for exstension

I went into immigration to do my 90 day address report.

Afterwards I went to the front desk at BKK to get a tm-7 form and asked about "changing my reason of stay from education to marriage" my next extension date.

They said I can't because I have been here longer then 2 years based on my end visa. (New law aug.29) That I will have to leave and arrive with a new visa.

I explained Im asking to change my reason of stay to marriage.... (Not asking to change my visa) i entered on a non immagrant visa 2 years ago and i will be finishing school and want to change to marriage.

She said no i have to leave.

It seemed like i talked to the wrong lady...

Like I said I went to get information so me and my Thai wife will have everything in order when the time comes.

But its in the back of my mind that there will be problems because of the new law. That students need to leave each year for new visa. And may apply to me wanting to change reason to marriage.

I think it is a case of somebody misreading the rules.

We have had other reports about this happening at CW and Pattaya.

I just don't know what to tell you to do get the problem with immigration sorted,

The best option you may have is to go Vientiane or Savannakhet (same day visa issuance) and get a single entry non-o visa.

You could go out for an a visa exempt entry but you would only have 15 days from entry to get the conversion to a non immigrant visa entry done. And it would take 2 two trips to get the visa entry stamp. Then back again for the extension in about 45 days to do the extension.

I don't want to upset anyone at immigration by asking someone that does know the law to help.... But as I learned that would be no help. I wouldn't do that.

I wonder if I should just go in and try when it gets close with my wife and all our paper work and see? If I go in 2 weeks ahead of my expiration date I won't need a 7 day stamp or want one. Will I still have to pay 1900 baht?

Edited by keithet
  • Like 1

Not that I recall. Only saw some reports on people being denied to change the reason of stay becasue they were on an ED-visa. believe that was Pattaya, as Ubonjoe mentioned.

You can call 1111 (government information line) and ask what the offcial policy is regarding this.

Has there been any reports of people being able to change at CW after August 29th's new law?

That would be some helpful feedback!

I'm in the same situation as you, I asked the boss lady who is in charge of extension of stay based on marriage at Pattaya immigration last week and she said can not convert from a ED visa and must leave the country and get a non O.

Has there been any reports of people being able to change at CW after August 29th's new law?

That would be some helpful feedback!

I'm in the same situation as you, I asked the boss lady who is in charge of extension of stay based on marriage at Pattaya immigration last week and she said can not convert from a ED visa and must leave the country and get a non O.

What are you going to do?

Not that I recall. Only saw some reports on people being denied to change the reason of stay becasue they were on an ED-visa. believe that was Pattaya, as Ubonjoe mentioned.

You can call 1111 (government information line) and ask what the offcial policy is regarding this.

"Official policy"???? Is that the law or what they make up as they go?

Last I checked the "new law" stated can not get exstention "based" on education if over a year. It does not mention changing reason of stay can not do.

Example: you can change reason of stay if you entered on a non immigrant visa.... Does not say except ED. Just you can not get a extension basses on Ed.

"Official policy"???? Is that the law or what they make up as they go?

Last I checked the "new law" stated can not get exstention "based" on education if over a year. It does not mention changing reason of stay can not do.

Example: you can change reason of stay if you entered on a non immigrant visa.... Does not say except ED. Just you can not get a extension basses on Ed.

As mentioned, it is known that some offices make their own additional or different regulations. If you are in Pattaya, you can try using a fixer, but that can cost you more than the trip and the new non-imm 'O',

Edited by paz

"Official policy"???? Is that the law or what they make up as they go?Last I checked the "new law" stated can not get exstention "based" on education if over a year. It does not mention changing reason of stay can not do.

As mentioned, it is known that some offices make their own additional or different regulations. If you are in Pattaya, you can try using a fixer, but that can cost you more than the trip and the new non-imm 'O',

I'm in Bangkok

I'm in Bangkok

Then if i was you, I would go with the flow and get the new visa. You could try a different office but being your a marriage extension, with the possibility of having an home visit later, that does not seem feasible. There are no reports of anyone that managed to reverse such decisions. The appeal process is unclear and had been removed altogether from latest regulations.

Many people go to Laos economically by minivan. The forum sponsor advertising on the right does that. You can also read about Savannankhet.

Otherwise if flying you have more choices, Penang, etc.

Edited by paz

I know of people who had the non b get theirs extended for being married and I know people on the Non o to get theirs extended for work. I wonder if because the original visa was ED visa that they can not alter the reason for extension to anything but education. I think it is the same with retirement visa.

Unless you are trying for PR and staying on the same visa for the 3 consecutive years, I really don't see the big deal in flying down to Penang for 3 days and getting the Non o there. People usually go to Laos as stated before because you don't need proof of the 400k in the bank.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife, She will need to go with you when you apply,

Marriage certificate (plus a copy), wife's house book and ID card.

So if he got an extension to visit his wife and when he had 30 days left on that, could he go to immigrations to apply for the extension of stay based on marriage or would he back at square one, needing to go out for a non-imm O?

i.e. is moving from an extension to visit wife to an extension of stay based on marriage less likely to raise red flags?

"The 60 days would give more time to sort things out and perhaps by then things will be sorted out at immigration in Bangkok to where he can apply for the one year extension of stay."

What a way to run an Immigration Department, the foreigners are inconvenienced while they try to all get on the same page !!

The situation in Thailand about immigration gets really worse. Same thing happened to me at Udon Thani Immigraton. I was 9 months (90 days first entry and then 2x 90 days ED extension) here on ED extensions and then I just wanted 60 days to see my child. Nothing!? I had to leave the country first. What is this for a system?! Then at the the Border back to thailand at Nong Khai the Immigration officer wanted 500 thai baht to give me my 30 days entry (whch I should get because I am from a G7 country) if I dont pay I only get 7 days. I paid and got my 30 days. Then went to the immigration in Udon thani again and the officer just wanted to give me 30 more instead of 60 days because I just have a transit visa on arrival and not a Non-O or Tourist visa.

Is it the situation that if one is on a retirement extension that the next extension application cannot be based on marriage?

Over the years I have had extensions on both and changing {because of differing financial situations} was not a problem--do

the new laws apply to all extension applicatins?

I have a friend in Pattaya he is been there for at least 10 years on Education visa, now that there is problem with this visa he married his long time girl friend and without leaving the country he is on marriage visa now. May be you should try another immigration. If you tried in BKK then may be you can travel to Pattaya, stay in a hotel and try it out there too.

Thanks Mr faroukh.

I am in pattaya and currently on a retirement extension and thinking of making next application based on marriage--been married 20 years and have had previous marriage based extensions. Did your friend get his marriage based extension recently--ie after Aug 29? Thanks

Is it the situation that if one is on a retirement extension that the next extension application cannot be based on marriage?

Over the years I have had extensions on both and changing {because of differing financial situations} was not a problem--do

the new laws apply to all extension applicatins?

It should not be a problem even there, but the only problems reported are with change from ED to something else. So you'll be ok.

I have a friend in Pattaya he is been there for at least 10 years on Education visa, now that there is problem with this visa he married his long time girl friend and without leaving the country he is on marriage visa now. May be you should try another immigration. If you tried in BKK then may be you can travel to Pattaya, stay in a hotel and try it out there too.

As mentioned before already. OP cannot apply for a marriage extension in a place different from where he really lives. Because there is an evaluation period, during which can check, visit and ask for local witness.

The rule in indeed changed at 29 August, ED extensions can not be changed anymore to other type of extensions.

Sorry can't provide the ruling as i'm not at home at the moment.

(Marriage) Extensions can only be done in the province of living.

The rule in indeed changed at 29 August, ED extensions can not be changed anymore to other type of extensions.

Sorry can't provide the ruling as i'm not at home at the moment.

The changed rules do not say that in their written form.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

It is an enforcement done against holders of ED extensions.

Give it a rest guys I have a feeling the immigration officers are probably more confused then the farangs trying to get visas. There have been numerous changes in the last month and a over ride of some immigration rules by the PM. I sure wouldn't want there job about now.