Leaving, I've had it up to here with this country, but do I need to cancel my work permit

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen.

Just leave, you won't have any problems. Maybe some people will tell you to cancel, but it's overly cautious. You will just need to run around and deal with more of the bs you are trying to get away from if you cancel. The work place will cancel it anyway. Another thing is, you may need it. You never know. They don't always have to be active to be used for certain things.

Edited by meand
  • Like 2

Precisely what bridges being burned are of such concern here?

He come come and go on O and TR the rest of his life eithba smile on his face no?

Pretty obvious that the TCT, Labor Min and to lesser extrnt immigration (perhaps with extension). He may be put on a blacklist for teaching. But those all obvious. He stated he was done with it. But Thailand needs warm bodies for classrooms...

But cancelling wp ez as filling out a paper, surely why not?

Its the flunkies, time and hassle at immigration. Bith in one day? Surely impossible and then transport out if the country. Lol. Even I will be pressed to do thst.

Done. Leave. Good!

Edited by Mencken

after 60yrs.in the uk.i felt the same,moved to thailand and never to move again.

so wherever you go good luck,just a little advice stay away from the euro zone.

Ditto me (although I would not rule out moving again if my relationship with my tiirak were ever to go pear-shaped).

Would definitely advise the OP to stay well away from the UK as well - particularly if he is a Brit!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

The work permit is not all that important to cancel unless you plan on getting another one.

Your extension of stay can be a problem if you leave at a border crossing. Some crossings will not allow you to leave with a valid one and no re-entry permit. Flying out there will be no problem.

I believe that if your visa is a business visa and you cancel your work permit the visa is also no longer valid. Also what about matters such as taxes etc? The employer will have notify the authorities .

Don't forget the good times you had! Surely it wasn't all bad.

I wouldn't want to speculate but as a young guy in Isaan I know it can be tough.

I've had my moments where I have depended on her too much. I've had my moments where I thought leaving was the answer.

Life is what we make it :) Good luck making it wherever you go next.

No, don't burn your bridges.

I set myself up never to go back to Thailand a few years back after a prolonged difficult patch. Yet after being back in the UK for a few months I realised it was the people and the situation driving me to that line of thought. I went back to Thailand and am happy I did for all its good points and all its faults.

I have had to be in the UK working my butt off for the last 8 months. I cannot wait to get back in a few weeks!!

The grass is always greener. . .

I was the same when I left France, could not wait to see the back of it, after 15 years, I had it , lots of silly issues , which got to me at the end.... Decided to head to Thailand after that, and have not regretted it, Daylight and Darkness...

But who knows what or how I feel in a few years time....

All the best where ever you end up, you are young and life is for living....

Enjoy

The work permit is not all that important to cancel unless you plan on getting another one.

Your extension of stay can be a problem if you leave at a border crossing. Some crossings will not allow you to leave with a valid one and no re-entry permit. Flying out there will be no problem.

What if the person is on a B visa extension? I thought I read in other threads that they won't let you leave unless that's properly cancelled (letter from the school or some such), on the grounds that you might owe money to the school (some schools want to fine teachers who quit without notice).

I want to ask if a particular incident was "the straw that broke the camels back"?

I just went through the yearly process to simply renew the airside pass required for my job at my home airport. A bureaucratic excercise equivalent to anything Thailand had to offer.

Edited by arunsakda

Bye...

I am going to have to hold out here for at least 2 more years. Right now, I am very happy. Renting a big home in CM , brand new car, a few motorbikes and bicycles. Lucky I am not married nor have I bought into a condo. Home ownership was just a very fortunate no can do. In two more years, my social security kicks in...and with my current retirement, I will be able to live in other places. Thailand is getting expensive, and it does seem that I have to be way too careful what I say and do here. I am worn out on the bar girl scene....18 years in PI and four here. The thai language is kicking my butt. I am pretty good at Japanese, Tagalog and French, but trying to communicate here is tough for me. I do like having cute girls around though. (Who doesn't?). Am I wrong, or does anyone feel that the Chinese and Russians are being courted, more so than westerners? Immigration rules are a pain here, in any case.

Have considered Vietnam...but am thinking, if I were to stay in Asia, it would be back to the Philippines. However, I am looking more and more at Ecuador or Panama.... Eastern Europe (The slavic area), looks good now, but I do not know what it would be like in two more years.

If the baht was a better deal for me....(should it ever goes past 35 to the usd) I would consider staying. If it goes under 30....I am gone.

• Like 1

Youthful petulence? In-laws? Broken heart? Broken wallet? Bureaucratic insanity? Western go-getter frustration? Or a combination of some or all of the above?

Whatever mate, but just heed the other posters' advice of not burning your bridges - amazing how that can come back to bite you on the ass. In 5 years you might be offered a very tempting, career-path job here, and you want to consider it because your emotions have mellowed and you realise there are far worse places to live and work. But you'll be denied a visa because you screwed up your taxes or something. Stomp off in haste, repent at leisure.