Employees coming late everyday

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not say how many employees you have but you do need to do something obvious.

Other staff will think it acceptable.

You say you do not want to fire them, but why not, they do not seem to be showing much respect?

Introduce a penalty (1 baht/minute is silly,) at least an hour's pay.

A written warning should be issued too as this has been going on long enough.

• Like 1

We have a system in our business which gives a 100 Baht penalty (except for good reasons) for arriving 5 mins late or more. (checked via time clock)

They understand and accept this without much problems.

hahaha

can i come to work in your company, i will only be late 7 hours and 50 minutes

you seem to only deduct 100 baht penalty

• Like 1

This is Thailand, where watches are slow in the morning and faster in the evening, so they arrive late and leave early.

The Thai word for work translates loosely as "Playing at Work" i.e. work must be fun (Sanuk).

I suggest you get a time clock.

You have several choices then. You can ask them to work late to make up the time or deduct pay.

Then you have the problem with your employees that arrive and leave on time but spend most of the day on their mobile phones, texting, posting photos to Facebook and reading comics.

Then there are the employees who are also employed by other companies to steal your contacts, bidding details, offer and contract prices etc (happens a lot).

Edited by Estrada

Written warnings for a start. You can't fire them without a payout, so be prepared to give them their dues.

What sort of work are they doing? Does their tardiness affect the business? Are they male or female (We have found women are usually more responsible employees). How late are they? A few minutes, or more than that? As someone else said, WHY are they late? What is their excuse for this? Have you sat them down and talked with them and discussed their tardiness?

PAY by the hour....a day is 8hrs...only pay for the hours worked and re-employment is every morning at a specific time. Not there, try again tomorrow at 8am.

It will surprise you....how much money you will save in the long run.

Edited by weegee

If during the entire pay period, our workers come to work on time AND do not take any unscheduled leave (7 days advance warning using a time-off request / vacation request form) I offer a reward of 15b per day. If for any reason, they are late, sick or the buffalo dies (again) we do not pay the benefit, no questions asked.

I have 25 factory type employees and I usually only have to pay this to half of them. Meaning, in my experience 50% of workers do not give a crap about policy and how their tardiness or absence impacts a business. On the other hand, this incentive policy does keep the CV / Resume pile full. So, when an employee gets his/her third warning.. they-are-gonners.

Good paperwork is critical.

I run a restaurant with staff and fingerprint reader. Whoever is late - and I mean ONE minute late = is late. Tip share of that day is cut in half; being late more than one hour means the entire tip share of the day is cut.

We take daily tip readings, list them and pay out once a month (middle of the month)

The share taken away from the late comers goes prorated to all the other staff ..... because they have to work more for their late coming colleague. Twice late in a month = warning letter; three warning letters = out.

Not punishable are "delay reports" prior to being late to the supervisor (or to you) giving an acceptable reason. Not acceptable are "it is raining" or "lot of traffic" as all the others seem to manage despite the same circumstances.

Brings discipline into the team. And before you ask, why I share the tip in the middle of the month; salary = end of the month, tip = middle of the month. Staff just walking off the job lose money either way; normal and correct resignations of course are exempted.

Make these conditions clear when you interview them; if they don't like it then they will simply not show up = good riddance before you have those unnecessary adrenaline pushes ;-)

Where's your restaurant? I want to check the service out... then the menu.

I think what everyone is saying is there needs to be consequences. Without it your employees will not respect you.

Have you approached them and told them that being late is unacceptable? Put it in a letter, hand it to your delinquent employees and go over the rules with them. Give them a warning, and then start docking pay and even fire them if it persists.

If their attitude gets worse you may need to find new employees. Nothing worse than one or more employee(s) who bring negative energy into a workplace. The negative vibes can even infect your great employees. I've seen it happen.

I would suggest you read "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People." In this book the author Steven Covey discusses effective leader management. The book is an all time classic and has been a best seller for years!

Edited by benj005

Personally, I would gather everyone together and reward in some way all those employees who are consistently on time, ignoring those who are not. Thank them for their professionalism, etc. If you are consistent in your appreciation for those who are on time, you'll have a good chance at success. I have found that the positive is successful when negative is not. I for one would rather work for something rather than to avoid something.

Edited by lmaxv
  • Like 1

Reverse psychology - write the employment contracts with a "punctuality bonus" :) Old salary = new salary + punctuality bonus -- so no loss to you. How big the bonus element is is your choice, and how much of it gets paid when the infringements are minor is a matter for you to decide. The trick is to get that clause into everyones works contract and get it signed by them :)

• Like 1

If the employees are late the first few times, that should already raise a red flag. You should be questioning them why they are late and inform them they need to be on time.Don't be afraid to ask why they are late or even on days they miss work where they are going.

You should have penalties in the work contract they sign. My company they need to be on the dot or their bonus will be cut, if they are miss X number of times, they get deductions.

Perhaps you don't go into work on time too? hence the employees take advantage of it? I know if the boss is not there often, employees always slack off unless you have a strong manager who is on top of things.

Solving this problem must be linked to a financial penalty. I have told my staff (albeit not in Thailand) that if they wish to come to work late, it is acceptable to the company, but pay will be deducted for hours not worked. The choice is theirs. If however their latecoming is not acceptable then revert to the country's Labour Law guidelines Does such a publication exist in Thailand and if so is it mandatory for each company to have a copy on the premises? Maybe I am being too naive.