Jet ski operators back on beaches of Phuket

webfact

Jet ski operators back on beaches of Phuket
Saran Mitrarat

1411531488_1-org.jpg
Back in action: Phuket's jet-skis have proven resilient to pressure.

PHUKET: -- Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsap has denied that her administration is allowing any businesses back on the beach, after questions have been raised about jet-ski activities following the massive beach clean-up.

But, she explained, activities such as jet-skis and parasailing fall across the lines of responsibility of the Municipality (on the beach) and the Marine department (on the water).

In any case, she told The Phuket News on Tuesday morning (September 23), “In the order [from the NCPO] for the beach reorganisation project, jet-ski operators had no problem since the beginning, [because they were not mentioned in the orders].

“The reorganisation to return the beach to the public involved only beach loungers and umbrellas, [masseuses and food and drink merchants] not water activities,” she explained.

“All of the beach umbrellas have been moved out and there are no more booths on the beach. But as for the jet-skis, we have never allowed them to install sales booths on the beach,” she added.

Her comments came in response to an email to The Phuket News from a reader, who asked not to be named.

In his email he wrote, “For a short period they were banned but now they are back on the beach and operating in the same illegal manner. How is that possible?

“They park them right on the beach – lining up five to 15 units on their trailers and hawking rides to everybody who [goes by].

“They always park right in front of the swimming zone (because that’s where there is the largest number of potential customers), and this leads to customers starting right off into the swimming area.”

He added, “In Kata this morning there were about eight at the north end, and at Karon, too, there are many. A friend told me Surin beach has up to 30 of them.”

“The new practice now is to occupy all the space in the shade under the trees so beachgoers can no longer enjoy the shade because it is occupied by parked jet-skis.”

Jet-ski operators, he noted, also refuel their machines on the beach and even in the water.

Mayor Chalermluck said, “Since I have been mayor, we have never allowed any businesses to operate on the beach.” But, she admitted, “Business operators might move in when we are not checking or not paying full attention.

“Thank you for letting me know. I will assign a civil enforcement team to inspect there more frequently. But any action in the water is not my responsibility,” she added.

Sakorn Pukham from the Phuket Marine Office said that there is a line of buoys to separate the jet ski and parasailing zone from the swimming zone. “These two activities are nowhere near each other.”

He said that the Marine Office had set an area for swimming and Patong Municipality had installed buoys to mark it.

“But sometimes Patong Beach has strong winds that may alter the lines of the buoys and cause confusion among beachgoers.

“If anyone has complaints about fuel leaking from a jet-ski onto the sea, we would encourage them to take pictures and sent them to Marine Office.”

Mr Sakorn added that since this issue has environmental implications, any action would also have to involve the Office of Natural Resources and Environment.

Complaints and photographs may be sent by post to Phuket Marine Office, 88/5 Saksidet Rd, Wichit, Muang, Phuket 83000, or by email.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jet-ski-operators-back-on-beaches-of-phuket-48854.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-24

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"activities such as jet-skis and parasailing fall across the lines of responsibility of the Municipality (on the beach) and the Marine department (on the water)"

"He said that the Marine Office had set an area for swimming and Patong Municipality had installed buoys to mark it."

But the buoys are IN THE WATER facepalm.gif

• Like 2

If I didn't know better, I'd say good old Marine Office 5 loves tea. For the life of me, I can't recall one good thing that has happened under this guy's watch. Why isn't he enforcing the law which requires anyone riding a jet ski to have a Thai marine license ( whatever it's called)? It can't be because of the tea, could it?

These jet ski and parasail hooligans are taking over the beach and don't even dare to put your stuff down where they are operating, or you'll immediately have a problem with a group surrounding you telling you to move if you know what's good for you.

Yep. This guy has jurisdiction over a great number of problems, none of which ever seem to get sorted.

• Like 2

But, she explained, activities such as jet-skis and parasailing fall across the lines of responsibility of the Municipality (on the beach) and the Marine department (on the water).

I am sure the mayor is doing her best to keep them off the beach but the Marine Dept is responsible for letting their machines back on the water.

I am sure the mayor is doing her best to keep them off the beach but the Marine Dept is responsible for letting their machines back on the water.

Don't know who should be changed; the mayor, the marine dept. or both??? blink.png

The authorities attitude is who cares? it's only the tourists and thailand's reputation that lose out. Let them suffer.

The Phuket beach cleanup is the big deal the junta fanatics on here throw at you when bumming them up. Seems like more smoke and mirrors to me.

• Like 1

Don't they get their machines to the water across the beach?

Don't they solicit customers on the beach?

Don't they accept money from customers on the beach?

Don't they park their machines on the beach?

Don't they scam people for damages on the beach?

Seems to be the Mayor is just trying to duck her responsibility. More than enough happens on the beach for her to have it stopped if she wanted. As for the marine guy, not worth a moments thought.

But of course it is going to need a permanent government presence to stop these guys coming back. The minute nobody is watching, they'll be there. The penalty for getting caught is too low even assuming it was levied.

Let's give the lady mayoress the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the jet skis are operated from boats in the bay and tourists have to swim out to them.

Anyway she is am improvement over her predecessor who is now helping police with their enquiries into racketeering charges along with his adorable son.

• Like 1

Don't know who should be changed; the mayor, the marine dept. or both??? blink.png

The mayor seems to be trying very hard to clean things up up there in Patong.

• Like 1

Mayor Chalermluck said, “Since I have been mayor, we have never allowed any businesses to operate on the beach. I lived in Patong for a year, besides the crowded beach area with vendors taking all the shade for equipment, dirty areas, no water for cleaning etc...

The Mayor must live someplace else if he can't see the jet-skis on his way to work. When you go in the water you can taste the gas from the ski's, drunks riding close to the swim areas. He has no control of what goes on the water, fair enough, but what do call parking all of your crap on the beach (AKA; SAND), NOT WATER. What is the Mayor's problem, is he legally blind?

• Like 1

If she can't do the job, with the image and balance of millions of tourist dollars at stake,well, maybe she should get a job selling used beach chairs back to CHINA.

The mayor is scared of reprisals and i don't blame her.
This is a job for the army with lots of machine guns.
May be the thugs listen them.

• Like 2