CPF Pig Farm

Robert24

hi, wife has friends who used to contract "mum pig" (breeding piglets) farming for cpf. 10 plus years ect.. in the last few years they have all changed over to betagro. what sort of farm would it be finishing or farrowing?

good to work with the big boys coz you will always get paid for what you produce, but if the work is sub standard you will not do so well........ can make good money but have also heard horror stories, first hand from the owners.

look around you (should already have people farming for them in your area) if not ask yourself why? and talk to them....

the set up cost are high in this game, even if it only a finishing farm.

as always pros and cons, but if you have the experience and the cash it could be a good thing to do............. or not?

finding good reliable help is not always easy too.

if you go for it have the "locals" give you a price for the build, then ask the professionals for a quote, the pros will give you and all in price for up and running farm. far less stress with the pros but added costs. the finishing build is very simple, but if you go for the farrowing farm there is a lot to get right, or its a pain in the arse going back when the farms up and running and fixing the levels of floors ect.......... plus make sure you get the bio gas working asap you will save loads on electric.

the wife has been contract farming for a number of years now (betagro) and we are just waiting for the ok to build another unit. speaks for itself...................

good luck.

can i ask why contract,?

why not just build a farm and do it yourself,, as in buy piglets in and use what feed you want to use,

or a farring farm,

but why contact and be tied to a supplyer,

i get my feed now direct i was on sunfeed, but im saving a fortune now on my feed costs,

good input, thanks pigeonjake and thoongfoned. My business in Thailand has actually nothing to do with farming (supplying sugar bags and other material to companies), so came across this more by coincidence through my wife. Reason why I'm considering is because it looks pretty good and I've spoken to a number of farmers who have done this and it seems like a good deal to work with CPF.

Basically you need to build a pig farm on your land according to the spec from CPF (all indoor, incl biogas system to produce electricity, large fan cooling system) and then you get a 3 year contract which is usually renewed after 3 years. Piglets, food and vaccine provided by CPF. Size 700-750 pigs. Once pigs are grown up (about 100 kg), then you give them back to CPF. They pay you about 5 baht per kilo, you do this about 2x per year.

But you are right, you are tied in with one big corporate which is one of my concern, i.e. if the relationship goes south, you sit on quite a large farm. However I've not heard of any issues with CPF before, hence I'm asking on this forum.

you will not have a problem with the company, only if you can not get the pigs to said weight at said time using said amount of food. the good thing with the contract farming is you will always get paid for your work on time. check what the average piglet weight would be and how much food allocation you are allowed. cpf would only not renew the contract if the farm was "bad". I would try for a longer contract time, not sure you would break even at 3 years, say doing 2.4 cycles a year. 5 baht a kilo is about right. check on the penalties you could en cur with light pigs ect.... there will be some if not a lot. any bonus system? ie. for good work ect....

yes the farm would be an evaporated farm system, the building costs can be very varied..... simply enough build though.

first step get the company out to check the land, then off to the local amper for classification all in writing. these farms are classed as high impact on the local environment.

just my 2 bahts worth..........