Do retirees visit their home countries often or stay put in Thailand?

Nolster

I met this British couple in a mall on my last visit and asked them as to how long they have been living in Chiang Mai; they said they have been in CM for 12 years. Then I asked if they go back and visit UK often. Their reply was they have not left Thailand since they retired here and in fact most of their relatives come to visit them in Chiang Mai!

I am wondering if this is typical of the retirees in CM/Thailand or some use CM as a base and frequently visit other countries, especially the ones nearby?

• Like 1

Live here - only desire to see the states is to tour with my wife......no overpowering urge.....we will probably go next year for a few months.....most expats that have moved here really don't seem to enjoy going there much, if at all.....some of the ones that do come back after a trip are shaking their heads saying it'll be their last trip......it's pretty gloomy there nowadays.....

It's easier to adopt a laid back lifestyle here than to try it there in the "mainstream" every day stresses.....those are magnified once arriving back fro Thailand.....

Guess we're just Thai'd down.......and most like it just fine.....

I was back in UK for 7 weeks last June.

Not sure what mainstream stresses you experience in USA, but my time in UK was totally stress free.

Actually, I can't think of one thing that stressed me out, though it might be different if I was working.

• Like 2

Live here - only desire to see the states is to tour with my wife......no overpowering urge.....we will probably go next year for a few months.....most expats that have moved here really don't seem to enjoy going there much, if at all.....some of the ones that do come back after a trip are shaking their heads saying it'll be their last trip......it's pretty gloomy there nowadays.....

It's easier to adopt a laid back lifestyle here than to try it there in the "mainstream" every day stresses.....those are magnified once arriving back fro Thailand.....

Guess we're just Thai'd down.......and most like it just fine.....

I was back in UK for 7 weeks last June.

Not sure what mainstream stresses you experience in USA, but my time in UK was totally stress free.

Actually, I can't think of one thing that stressed me out, though it might be different if I was working.

I think if I were living in Chiang Mai and had to visit the US again the main thing would be to visit places where I can chill out and enjoy.

I normally go back about four or five times a year, , only because I get cheap,flights as I used to work for a majourmEuropean Carrier....

It's nice to go back, but always glad to leave especially in the winter time.... Too cold....

Like,to visit the Bookies and have a flutter, to get the gambling bug out of my system...

It does make more sense for your relatives to visit you here. It opens up travel opportunities for them.

For the last 5 years, I have flown back to help care and visit for my mom. Now she was taken out of her home by one of 3 brothers. She is afraid of losing her home (It is in trust to the oldest brother). Nobody is willing to take her in, except me and my wife. Well, my girl was turned downed for a fiancee visa (being a tourist is not going to allow her to work), and now have decided to marry here and stay

We asked my oldest brother to bring her her here. All are welcome to visit. It would open up opportunities to get out of the Upstate New York winters, and record snowfalls.

My mom is 90, and has some minor medical issues.....she lives for the hospitals...(frequent visits, whether she needs them or not). Needs only checkups and subscriptions, which might be handled by the government, for the most part. I suppose her medications could be mailed, with the proper documentation.

Well....that is my answer. I used to go home and visit, but now I am hoping it will be the other way around. It sure would be nice to have my mom here, enjoying the weather and smiling neighbors. Sure would make everything worthwhile.

• Like 2

It does make more sense for your relatives to visit you here. It opens up travel opportunities for them.

For the last 5 years, I have flown back to help care and visit for my mom. Now she was taken out of her home by one of 3 brothers. She is afraid of losing her home (It is in trust to the oldest brother). Nobody is willing to take her in, except me and my wife. Well, my girl was turned downed for a fiancee visa (being a tourist is not going to allow her to work), and now have decided to marry here and stay

We asked my oldest brother to bring her her here. All are welcome to visit. It would open up opportunities to get out of the Upstate New York winters, and record snowfalls.

My mom is 90, and has some minor medical issues.....she lives for the hospitals...(frequent visits, whether she needs them or not). Needs only checkups and subscriptions, which might be handled by the government, for the most part. I suppose her medications could be mailed, with the proper documentation.

Well....that is my answer. I used to go home and visit, but now I am hoping it will be the other way around. It sure would be nice to have my mom here, enjoying the weather and smiling neighbors. Sure would make everything worthwhile.

Wow, that's great! I am a Syracuse graduate myself. What type of visa your mom would get to come live in Thailand with you? I think you might be able to buy the same or similar medications in Thailand for a lot less. I am assuming that your wife is Thai and is willing to look after your mom, that's the Asian culture. smile.png

Wow, that's great! I am a Syracuse graduate myself. What type of visa your mom would get to come live in Thailand with you? I think you might be able to buy the same or similar medications in Thailand for a lot less. I am assuming that your wife is Thai and is willing to look after your mom, that's the Asian culture. smile.png

Yep..Syracuse. My brother was the Computer Analyst for the College of Forestry at Syracuse University for 40 years. Still works a few hours a week there.

I sent my brother the website and specified O-A Retirement.

Her Meds are force fed via Woolgreens....Automatically refilled and they notify her for pickup. She pays very little...but I need to check here. Mailing probably costs more than just buying the meds here.

Nothing unusual for people of her age. Water pills, blood pressure pills, thinners for the blood....etc.

My wife is pushing this. Her mom just died at 90 and she cared for her for 15 years (Altzheimers and paraplegic)

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

I know a few retired farang couples and there is a mix ...

Some never go back, nothing to go back to.

Some do visit maybe once a year, as they have children/grandchildren there.

It is certainly more attractive for relatives to visit Phuket say, that for the retirees to take in the long arduous journey to say Middlesbrough!

I go back to visit a particularly elderly relative who cannot travel so far.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder about the questions being asked!! Use a bit of common sense!!! It all depends on a person's wealth and desires. Some people, like me, do not have the money to visit their own country, so desire is not an issue! I'd like to, but can not! Other people can afford to do it, so it comes down to desire. If they want to, they can. If thy do not want to, they do not!

Have not been back for 10 years. It is the last place I would take a holiday. Dreadful climate, awful food and not friendly like the Thais. Expensive too. The hassle of getting a visa for my wife makes it even less attractive. We like to go to Chiangmai for our holidays. Lovely place.

Canadian government says you will have all benefits stopped if you stay out of country longer than 6 months. I have good reason to toe that line. Free medical and besides if you tell them you plan to live in Thailand where there is no reciprocal agreement regarding pensions they will automatically deduct 25 % and you still have to pay annual tax on the rest. I am told keeping a valid drivers licence and bank account in Canada is considered having continuing residence. Far be it for me to ask.

• Like 1

Arrived here in 2009, and never went back. See no reasons why I should visit my country of origin again. First was planning to go their for the Missis next year, because she never been there. But she spoke with some wifes of my friends, and changed her mind. So we go to Japan next year.

I left the UK in 1994 as I considered it to be a Third World Country. I have recently been back and I still consider it to be a Third World Country. The UK Government treat expat pensioners like lepers. For that reason our pensions are frozen and now they want to end our personal allowances.

So, what is the definition of a 3rd world country and if you came to Asia in 1994 as I did, it certainly wasn't a step up.

I make a point of going at least once a year.

I don't want to lose attachment to my homeland or the NHS wink.png

Could slot back without too much problem, here or there is OK, wherever you feel comfortable and content.

Family visit frequently, just a 500 quid fare and good old me pays all expenses here, cheaper holiday than the med for them.

Works for me.

If you are resident abroad you surely won't be eligible for NHS treatment, except for accidents, at the moment, unless you have not declared that you are non-resident.

I seldom go back and have been here 10 years. But I realise it is having an effect on my family relationships that are becoming more and more distant and less and less in contact. The more distant offspring like nieces and nephews and their kids are virtually unknown to me now. I realise that I should start to return more often but i think I've reached the point of no return now. In any case, apart from 1 sister none of them have visited me here, and I would give them a good time if they did, so it's not only my fault.

I make a point of going at least once a year.

I don't want to lose attachment to my homeland or the NHS wink.png

Could slot back without too much problem, here or there is OK, wherever you feel comfortable and content.

Family visit frequently, just a 500 quid fare and good old me pays all expenses here, cheaper holiday than the med for them.

Works for me.

If you are resident abroad you surely won't be eligible for NHS treatment, except for accidents, at the moment, unless you have not declared that you are non-resident.

I seldom go back and have been here 10 years. But I realise it is having an effect on my family relationships that are becoming more and more distant and less and less in contact. The more distant offspring like nieces and nephews and their kids are virtually unknown to me now. I realise that I should start to return more often but i think I've reached the point of no return now. In any case, apart from 1 sister none of them have visited me here, and I would give them a good time if they did, so it's not only my fault.

Been over this too many times on this forum, it's getting boring.

See my Dr. every year, even take him MRI's and blood results that I had done here.

Last time back had treatment in hospital.

Never had a problem with the good old NHS.

Canadian government says you will have all benefits stopped if you stay out of country longer than 6 months. I have good reason to toe that line. Free medical and besides if you tell them you plan to live in Thailand where there is no reciprocal agreement regarding pensions they will automatically deduct 25 % and you still have to pay annual tax on the rest. I am told keeping a valid drivers licence and bank account in Canada is considered having continuing residence. Far be it for me to ask.

I think with most countries, if you are not a resident then you have to declare that to the tax authorities, or the government if you are availing yourself of their services. It's not a default situation where they have to prove anything.

Been here 13 years, usually go back to USA once a year to see family and friends. Only had a couple of friends come over here in that time ("It's the same distance both ways" I tell them to no avail). Sometimes I need a break from here, and a reminder of why I moved here after US experience. Also I like to reward myself, so usually buy another guitar, stock up on strings, various hard to get items. No matter how many times I tell friends, they still seem to think I must visit USA for some visa reason....

my country of origin became the country of foreign arrogant profiteers and scum thug. In my country, I began to feel like a stranger.

At least in Thailand, I really know that I am a foreigner.

Conclusion: No return in my country after 5 years and I never hope to return. Farewell my own country. lock.gifcoffee1.gif