FBI sees rise in US mass shootings

webfact

FBI study: Deaths in mass shootings increasing

(BBC) The number of people killed or wounded in mass shootings in the US has increased dramatically in recent years, an FBI study has found.

More than 480 were killed and 557 wounded in 160 "active shooter" incidents from 2000-13, it found.

Two-thirds of incidents ended before police arrived, though only one ended when an armed citizen not working as a security guard responded with gunfire.

The study was prompted by the 2012 massacre at a Connecticut school.

President Barack Obama, a proponent of stricter gun control, signed a law in 2013 requiring the US justice department to investigate mass shootings.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29357199

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-25

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should prove to be a most interesting discussion.

Most interesting in what?

Show that there are plenty of psychopaths all over the world?

Or show that Thailand, even after all these murders we hear about, is still a safer place to live in?

I read the entire OP and it never once mentioned anyplace but the US. Not the world and not Thaialnd.

Were you reading a different article? Or just sorta in a Thailand stupor.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

"Two-thirds of incidents ended before police arrived, though only one ended when an armed citizen not working as a security guard responded with gunfire."

I think this clearly proves that there is a need for less gun control. If everyone would carry (preferably concealed) fully automatic weapons, I can garantee more than one of these incidents would have been stopped by a citizen...

Clear as mud.

I don't follow your logic.

Fully automatic weapons.

Are you funnin' with us?

• Like 2

Automatic weapons with extended magazines should be a birth right and handed to citizens as soon as they pop out of the baby maker. Heavier weapons such as 50 caliber machine guns and hand grenades should also be permanent additions in every house. Tanks should be made available to everyone and each neighborhood should have an Apache gunship stationed nearby ready for use.

We all know that if there is a cloud of poison gas in the air killing people, the correct response is to add more poison gas in order to equalize and negate the threat. Yes, more guns, that must be the answer.

Finally someone who understand that one fights fire with (bigger) fire. It's what the US has been doing around the world for the past 60 years with great success.

• Like 1

"Two-thirds of incidents ended before police arrived, though only one ended when an armed citizen not working as a security guard responded with gunfire."

I think this clearly proves that there is a need for less gun control. If everyone would carry (preferably concealed) fully automatic weapons, I can garantee more than one of these incidents would have been stopped by a citizen...

Completely illogical, as all pro-gun rationalizations are.

Arm the public and except the number of "active shooter" incidents and accidental shooting deaths, especially among children, to skyrocket.

Also, just because they can, "everyone" wouldn't carry. Perhaps a few more people would, but most people don't feel the need or have the interest. Most people are rational.

The people that commit mass shootings are expecting to be killed. Knowing there is a better chance that someone might be shooting back is no deterrent to these people in the mental state they are in. It would actually be more of a draw. It would make it more "fun" for them.

• Like 1

Automatic weapons with extended magazines should be a birth right and handed to citizens as soon as they pop out of the baby maker. Heavier weapons such as 50 caliber machine guns and hand grenades should also be permanent additions in every house. Tanks should be made available to everyone and each neighborhood should have an Apache gunship stationed nearby ready for use.

We all know that if there is a cloud of poison gas in the air killing people, the correct response is to add more poison gas in order to equalize and negate the threat. Yes, more guns, that must be the answer.

Finally someone who understand that one fights fire with (bigger) fire. It's what the US has been doing around the world for the past 60 years with great success.

The US protect their interests with thinly veiled excuses and manipulation, same as every country in the world. A few people in a previous administration even convinced many of us to support the invasion of a country because of 9/11 and WMD which had nothing to do with either. The lies were criminal and those people should be called to task.

However, before you vilify the US, take a look at the direction the axis powers were headed after WW2 and tell me if you think the world would be better off under that leadership. US leaders haven't always make the right decisions, but look at the foreign aid, look at the amount of money and manpower which the us puts into humanitarian efforts. I think some slack should be cut. It is the worst governmental system in the world, except for all the others.

None of this has to do with US gun laws, which to any rational person are completely insane, but will never change without first a civil war.

• Like 1

Gulfsalior post # 10

Indeed true the arms industry and the body bag and embalming products and funeral furnishings ( for those bodies that are found of course) producing industry are all booming domestically as these home grown mass killing clearly show.

The spin off into international terrorism by American sponsored sales force has certainly become a profitable venture for the arms manufacturers which indeed is a growing industrial monster of death a phenomenal growth industry all due the Americans efforts.

NRA and the Tea Party can sure be proud.whistling.gif

The NRA nor the Tea Party are shooting anyone. In fact, the majority of mass shooters tend to be reregistered Democrats. Most Democrats are normal individuals. It's the liberal wackos that come from this group who tend to be the shooters.

• Like 1

with inequality comes violence on all levels. it's not the guns, the gap between the haves and have nots has never been greater than now.

Didn't communism promote equality amongst the masses and communal wealth?

Does anyone know if there was an absence of violent crime in Marx's Utopia?

Mass shootings in the US are not generated by economic disparity.

• Like 1

NRA and the Tea Party can sure be proud.whistling.gif

The NRA nor the Tea Party are shooting anyone. In fact, the majority of mass shooters tend to be reregistered Democrats. Most Democrats are normal individuals. It's the liberal wackos that come from this group who tend to be the shooters.

You are really going to need to back that one up with some references...or some might think you pulled that right out of your wazoo.

Wazoo is the same as imagination, isn't it?

• Like 1

with inequality comes violence on all levels. it's not the guns, the gap between the haves and have nots has never been greater than now.

And guns offer a way to redistribute the wealth ... or at least redistribute the iPhones and obscenely expensive "sneakers," not to mention settle labor disputes over pay without all the tedious union bargaining.

• Like 2

Really I have no idea at all which are the expectations USA authorities.

People can hold at home AK-47 or what they want for sport purpose, and they can use it as they want in their own lands.

So if some-one has a bad idea may start immediately.

Please just imagine if Thais can hold at home legally AK-47 .....

Really I have no idea at all which are the expectations USA authorities.

People can hold at home AK-47 or what they want for sport purpose, and they can use it as they want in their own lands.

So if some-one has a bad idea may start immediately.

Please just imagine if Thais can hold at home legally AK-47 .....

Yes, but only as a semi-auto unless it was imported before 1986.

• Like 1

Surely the key is to attach explosive collars to each citizen. That way when the inevitable shooting spree kicks off, the authorities can just press a button to terminate the shooter. Obviously restricting guns won't work or having tougher laws regarding the purchase of high powered weaponry because then you're restricting the freedom to indiscriminately open fire on work places and schools, which is enshrined in the constitution.

"The Second Amendment has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public."

- Former chief justice Warren E. Burger.

• Like 1

Crime always accelerates in the US in no gun cities like NY, and LA.

Not that again.

Dude, you need NATIONAL laws, like Australia.

That does work.

There are no border controls between states and cities in the USA.

Duh.

I'm American and there are certain things I find very shameful about my country:

-- absurdly high rate of imprisonment especially of minorities (indicative of a totalitarian state)

-- gun culture and gun lobbies gone mad, impossibility of any change

-- degree of economic inequality

-- absurdly high rate of obesity which could be helped with government pressure on the food corporations to change their product recipes and also CLEAR warning labels, etc,

-- piss poor public transportation in the majority of the country

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The women alone who shoots burglars and rapists and saves herself never seem to get in the news. Or the neighbor who grabs a shotgun and runs to save a neighbor from bodily harm never makes the news.

The truth is the average time it takes the Police to arrive in most cities is 15 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on how many police persons have been laid off due to financial restraints.

Who can wait that long in an emergency? Or you call 911 and you are put on hold!

15-45 minutes?

Discredulous statement pretending to be fact.

Not that again.

Dude, you need NATIONAL laws, like Australia.

That does work.

There are no border controls between states and cities in the USA.

Duh.

I'm American and there are certain things I find very shameful about my country:

-- absurdly high rate of imprisonment especially of minorities (indicative of a totalitarian state)

-- gun culture and gun lobbies gone mad, impossibility of any change

-- degree of economic inequality

-- absurdly high rate of obesity which could be helped with government pressure on the food corporations to change their product recipes and also CLEAR warning labels, etc,

-- piss poor public transportation in the majority of the country

You highlight an interesting topic for discussion.

Why DO minorities commit such a disproportionate number of crimes?

But then its not all minorities--for instance, the influx of Asian groups are clearly under-represented in criminal acts.