Turtle Soup

Farangdanny

If you're in a country which is a signatory to the CITES treaty, then this would be 100% illegal.

Turtles are a threatened species, so why would you want to eat the poor things?

Hear! Hear! And what about eating no seafood at all while you are about it?

Turtle soup is actually very tasty(and they're easy to hunt!). And yes, Thailand is a CITES country, but not all turtles are endangered.

If you're in a country which is a signatory to the CITES treaty, then this would be 100% illegal.

• Like 2

If a seafood is identified as endangered species, then I don't think it should be eaten.

Until then Sardines, Mackerel et al are fair game.

As for Turtles they are beautiful creatures, some living longer than humans

To be reduced to a few mouthfuls of aroi maak, is simply disgusting.

• Like 1

I'll never eat another lobster or clam....

If a seafood is identified as endangered species, then I don't think it should be eaten.

Until then Sardines, Mackerel et al are fair game.

As for Turtles they are beautiful creatures, some living longer than humans

To be reduced to a few mouthfuls of aroi maak, is simply disgusting.

• Like 1

Wow, people are sure funny on this site. Actually if you can eat Chinese softshell turtles or Red ear sliders and be doing the environment (and other turtles) a favor as they are invasive species and also farmed extensivly. Sea turtles are endangered as are most native Thai species.

• Like 1

Turtle soup is actually very tasty(and they're easy to hunt!). And yes, Thailand is a CITES country, but not all turtles are endangered.

I thought ALL turtles were having a tough time. The locals eat the eggs, others catch the adults, and the survivors eat plastic bags, thinking they're jelly fish and die.

In PNG, foreign Uni staff paid the locals living on nearby beaches to NOT eat or sell the eggs as soon as they were laid.

It's also illegal to eat shark fin soup in CITES countries.

The Japanese eat whale, the Chinese eat anything if they think it will make their love life better, the cod were fished out in the northern hemisphere, sharks are being killed in 1000s for soup, and now some guy wants to eat turtles! Fair go for the Planet!!

for what it is worth the Chinese recently outlawed shark fin soup. I believe it will make a big difference in the number of sharks killed just for their fin. There will still be the out laws with plenty of rich customers.

A step in the right direction, now they can start freeing bears that have permanent tubes inserted into their bile duct.

Seems they will try anything for an erection.

Strange what turns some people on....

Btw, I'm sure I saw "shark fins" or "bits of them" in the freezer section at "macro"

There must be someone who can tell me where to buy it ??

Probably in one of those many countries that breed them for making soup But Thailand is apparently not one of them.

Which countries are they?

China

Japan

Thailand

USA

Caribbean

Eastern Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_farming

Interesting read. I got the impression that it was still the wild turtles that were wanted for the soup as many of the farmers sold less for food. Also the turtle is becoming endangered in many areas so there must be a call for the wild turtle. Mind you there are quite a few lost to trawlers.

Was traveling in Palau years back and saw a restaurant offering the "Blue corner special" - Barbequed Sea Turtle, Giant Clam, and Napoleon Wrasse served with rice and shark fin soup. We nicknamed it the "Endangered species combo plate".

There are no boundaries on capitalism. It's really up to consumers to make responsible decisions.

I did not partake, but my buddy said most of it tasted just like like chicken.

Edited by Whistler

I would ask at a chinese resto, would be a start. The Chinese softshell turtle is the common grey-green one can get very big, eat all you want, the red ear slider is the green pet shop turtle with a red mark on either side of the head... very hardy common farm turtle originally from the good ol USA, now almost worldwide, please eat as many as possible. The species most commonly seen at CM fresh markets is the Malaysian snail eating turtle, endangered but eaten locally, not supposed to taste very good. It is often bought to be released in the Ping river to make "merit" however it's natural habitat is slow moving shallow klongs and flooded rice fields swampy areas, not a strong swimmer and will most likely die quickly in the river.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's also Classical French cuisine though not that common anymore but we did serve it in the classical Creole restaurant I cooked at in New Orleans

Was it called King Creole?

I know your having a bit of fun but it is called Arnaud's and the Zagat guide's summary reads as follows:

There's "history in every bite" at this circa-1918 "grande dame" in the French Quarter that "lives up to the hype" with its "wonderful" Creole classics ("be sure to order the turtle soup") served by "veteran waiters" in an "elegant", "old-fashioned" setting; for those who find the main dining room "too formal" (jackets suggested), the bistro is more casual and offers "enjoyable" nightly live jazz or there's also a lively "Sunday jazz brunch"; P.S. take a peek at the upstairs Mardi Gras museum.

I believe we used indigenous Snapping Turtles.

Aristide with all due respect what does your post mean? ("Generally Thai people don't eat turtle soup of any kind and it is offensive to see someone kill the poor creature or eat them. I will personally report this to the Pantip website if I see any one do such thing.") Who or what is Pantip? (I know the Thai website, similar to Thaivisa as far as I understand, and there is an electronic appliance mall named that) And why would they care unless you just want to make trouble that someone is doing something you don't approve of (unless of course they are killing a protected species). I'm not tying to make trouble just might be misunderstanding your post and this is why I'm asking.

Edited by junglechef

Aristide with all due respect what does your post mean? ("Generally Thai people don't eat turtle soup of any kind and it is offensive to see someone kill the poor creature or eat them. I will personally report this to the Pantip website if I see any one do such thing.") Who or what is Pantip? (I know the Thai website, similar to Thaivisa as far as I understand, and there is an electronic appliance mall named that) And why would they care unless you just want to make trouble that someone is doing something you don't approve of (unless of course they are killing a protected species). I'm not tying to make trouble just might be misunderstanding your post and this is why I'm asking.

No problem junglechef, there is an animal lover forum on pantip website that many Thai will announce anything unusual in the country. I'm sure many Thai will not approve buying or eating turtle soup.

• Like 1

If I may many Thais don't approve of what many other Thais are doing just as they don't what many non-Thais are doing just as one will find anywhere in the world some people won't like what other people are doing and visa versa.

Don't get me wrong I am a animal lover and have many dogs and pets as well as raise chickens that I kill to eat after they stop laying. Also I am not a hunter as I'd rather shoot wild animal with my camera nor do I enjoy fishing, purely because I find it boring.

But I don't go and out them on a public forum because I don't approve of what others they are doing usually.

Many Thais don't approve of eating beef, so what! Many Thais, as has been said here, buy turtles to release (and apparently will die from it) to make merit. Of course your free to pick your own battles (and please don't take this as I want one with you but I did want to openly discuss in theory).

But announcing anything unusual seems a bit unusual to me.

There must be someone who can tell me where to buy it ??

Probably in one of those many countries that breed them for making soup But Thailand is apparently not one of them.

Which countries are they?

China

Japan

Thailand

USA

Caribbean

Eastern Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_farming

Great, but how do I find contact details for the farms in Thailand ? I have tried everywhere, help !

Here's recipe for New Orleans Turtle Soup; it is not too old either published in December 2013. It even mentions substituting ground veal or finely chopped lean beef to make "mock" turtle soup:

"Turtle soup continues to be popular at most of the city's classic Creole restaurants such as Arnaud's, Commander's Palace, Antoine's and Galatoire's, and be assured that it will never be forgotten.

Note: Some turtles are on the endangered list. Check with your supplier to see what is available in your area. Some of the substitutes for turtle meat, to make it "mock" turtle soup, are ground veal or finely chopped lean beef."

Here's the link: http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2013/12/new_orleans_turtle_soup_recipe.html

Enjoy without guilt biggrin.png

• Like 1