General advice about Phuket

paddycon

Hi guys

I'm planning my next trip and wanted to see some more of Thailand this time. A very good mate is coming over from Ireland to meet me in BKK and it will also be my tgf's birthday so I was thinking of taking them to Phuket for 4 or 5 nights.

I was wondering if there is any specific area I should be looking to stay around Patong that would would be central enough for the beaches, night life and to make sure my mate wont be "lonely" as i have never been to Phuket before any info would be appreciated

if you have any recommendations of good villas or apartments that wouldn't be very over priced (as i'll be paying for all my self) it would be great and some touristy things to do while we're there also

I have found a few good looking and highly rated places on booking.com but i dont want to book until i know where i should be staying

Thanks in advance ;)

1.Big Buddah is DEFINETLY worth a visit with fantastic views of Phuket..

2. The Viewpoint is worth a visit too, especially for Sunset, just situated up the hill on your way out of Kata towards Nai Harn..

3. Some Fantastic Restaurants on the road out of Patong, heading towards Kathu..

4. Beaches, are lovely, and are getting better with all that's been going on..

Enjoy Phuket... It works for me...

• Like 1

I will stay around Kata beach. You have a great beach, plenty of action, good restaurants and a more relaxed atmosphere than Patong. For some day-time/evening action you can try:

1. Hanuman zip-line. Up to 3,6 km from tree to tree. You can do shorter trips.

2. Siam Safari. Elephant camp include trekking. I have had only good reviews on this 1/2 day experience.

3. Go snorkeling or diving at Phi PHi islands or Racha Yai/Racha Noi. Some companies to avoid, but I can give you some advises of who to join. Send me a PM.

4. Wat Chalong temple and the Big Buddha. You need to rent motorbikes/car to get around to these places or hire a taxi. If you haven't been driving in Thailand before I will NOT recommed you to drive a motorbike or car. If you hire a taxi then ask in the reception and get a price up-front. DON"T get one from the streets around you.

5. Phuket FantaSea show. An evening show telling the story of Phuket. One of my favorites.

6. Go and see some Thai boxing. The biggest show is in Patong. Evening activity which could be combined with a visit to Bang La road.

If you need more details please send me a PM.

Enjoy your trip

• Like 2

Unless sex tourism is your goal, I'd suggest going the opposite direction.

Phuket has a horrid reputation on many counts. About the only redeeming quality

is the beaches -- but access to these comes at a high price in terms of high prices,

scams, rip-offs, poor service, and many other issues.

If you can forego the beaches, head to Chiang Mai. Compared to Phuket it feels a

lot like going to heaven without dying.

One example -- yesterday we had pasta at Success restaurant on the river near

Narawat bridge. It's some of the best pasta I've ever had. The restaurant is nice,

friendly and good service. The pasta ranges in price from 80-150 baht. They also

have a wide selection of great thin crust pizza at very reasonable prices.

This place is rather typical of the friendly service and good prices in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai is the nicest place all-round I've ever been in my many years in Asia.

is the beaches -- but access to these comes at a high price in terms of high prices,

If you can forego the beaches, head to Chiang Mai. Compared to Phuket it feels a

Narawat bridge. It's some of the best pasta I've ever had. The restaurant is nice,

friendly and good service. The pasta ranges in price from 80-150 baht. They also

This place is rather typical of the friendly service and good prices in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai is the nicest place all-round I've ever been in my many years in Asia.

If you want a pasta holiday move in to your local Italian restaurant, if you want to sit on the banks of a muddy river go to Melbourne, if you want a real holiday with all the adventures outlined in post #5 (and more!) come to Phuket!

There are a lot of myths and misinformation in your response.

Italian restaurants often have very lousy pasta (and pizza).

Chiang Mai's muddy river is as pleasant as muddy rivers anywhere.

Phuket is a great holiday for clueless tourists who either don't know any better

than spending 500-1,000 baht for a 100-baht meal or who're willing to put up

with all the scamming and bad surroundings just for the night life.

If you're looking for night life there are many places far superior to Phuket.

Phuket is a great holiday for clueless tourists who either don't know any better

I really wonder if you've ever actually been to Phuket, and if you have it appears that you fell into the category of 'clueless tourists' that you deride. The attraction of Phuket to many is it's diversity and range of options for both holidaying and as a resident expat. Nowhere, and I'm including Chiang Mai, has the choice of lifestyles, shopping, recreational activities (including restaurants), medical care, clean air (Chiang Mai definitely doesn't tick that box) that Phuket has. Bangkok will have some things in more abundance, but who seriously would want to live in Bangkok given they have a choice.

I'm just back from having lunch with my wife at a restaurant near to our home. It's also adjacent to Wat Chalong, one of the foremost tourist attractions in Phuket. Lunch was a couple of vegetarian dishes for my wife (it's the Phuket Vegetarian Festival at the moment, and she likes to adhere to the tradition for the 10 days that it's on), an excellent Cesaer Salad with some deep fried chicken pieces on the side for me. Washed down with a couple of small Singha's for me, and a fresh pineapple juice for my wife. Total 620 baht, in what is a good quality establishment in a pleasant environment. If that's being ripped off/scammed, I guess I really need to broaden my experience. Some photos:

Pagallim, the food and the place looks great.

If you're very happy with your life there and I'm very happy with my life here, we need not have

any argument. I'll have to take back my rash remarks. Maybe I was a bit too harsh based on some

bad experiences I had in Phuket (like in Pattaya) that left me with less than pleasant memories.

Enjoy.

I really wonder if you've ever actually been to Phuket, and if you have it appears that you fell into the category of 'clueless tourists' that you deride. The attraction of Phuket to many is it's diversity and range of options for both holidaying and as a resident expat. Nowhere, and I'm including Chiang Mai, has the choice of lifestyles, shopping, recreational activities (including restaurants), medical care, clean air (Chiang Mai definitely doesn't tick that box) that Phuket has. Bangkok will have some things in more abundance, but who seriously would want to live in Bangkok given they have a choice.

I'm just back from having lunch with my wife at a restaurant near to our home. It's also adjacent to Wat Chalong, one of the foremost tourist attractions in Phuket. Lunch was a couple of vegetarian dishes for my wife (it's the Phuket Vegetarian Festival at the moment, and she likes to adhere to the tradition for the 10 days that it's on), an excellent Cesaer Salad with some deep fried chicken pieces on the side for me. Washed down with a couple of small Singha's for me, and a fresh pineapple juice for my wife. Total 620 baht, in what is a good quality establishment in a pleasant environment. If that's being ripped off/scammed, I guess I really need to broaden my experience. Some photos:

Is there nowhere safe from photo's of peoples lunches and dinner?

• Like 2

I spent a month in Phuket a couple years ago. The only thing I would say is that you should be at your hotel before 1400;

At 0300 I went to the 7-11 and I had all these Lady Boys following me. My hair was standing on end telling me that I was

in a bad situation. A really beautiful Thai woman came up to me and asked if I wanted sex and I said no because I like guys.

Then she took my hand to here crotch and I felt a penis at least 10 inches long. Horrified I ran back to my Hotel. I will not have sex with

a woman who has a penis twice as long as mine.

• Like 1

As you said you wanted to go to Phuket for "4 or 5 nights" I would suggest that's probably not long enough to even bother coming to Phuket.

You mention it's you TG's birthday, so, I gather that will be a heavy night out on alcohol, meaning most of the next day will be spent sleeping and/or recovering.

So, with some of the first day spent getting here. A day and night celebrating your TG's birthday, and the next day not feeling like doing anything, I would suggest taking your Irish friend to Pattaya, simply because it quicker to get there, and return, is more affordable and offers more of a party.

If the beach is important to you, in Pattaya, you can get a baht bus for 10 baht each to the pier, and get a boat out to Koh Larn for the day.

Photos of Koh Larn here.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=koh+larn&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jSslVMAtkP_xBanngOAG&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=621

If the beach is important to you, and you stay in Patong, you will find Patong Beach disappointing, similar to Pattaya Beach, as far as water quality, and then will be ripped off for transport to one of the nicer beaches. So, if your idea is to stay on one of the nicer beaches, you will be ripped off with transport into Patong for the nightlife.

I the beach is not important, you can laze around a large pool in either Pattaya or Phuket.

If you said 9 nights, or more, I would say sure, come to Phuket, hire a car, and have a look, but as your trip would be very short, Phuket is a long way to go for an expensive birthday celebration when you have a lot cheaper party place just 2 hours drive away in Pattaya, with a lot more afforable access to nicer beaches and nightlife, than in Phuket.

Being in Bangkok, there's also Hua Hin to consider as well.

Another option is to take your friend out in Bangkok on the firtst night, find him "some company" and then the four of you could go to Koh Samet.

Edited by NamKangMan

Well Phuket is reasonably diverse. Like anywhere in Thailand you can find farang priced areas or thai orientated places.

If you want a reasonably priced holiday you have to decide what you want to sacrifice. Patong is famous for its nightlife and tourism, but that comes at a price. Reality is that you can live anywhere in Phuket and drive to Patong within 30-45 minutes.

And driving on phuket is cheap and easy. If you pay for taxis or private vehicles and you will bleed from the wallet orifice so hire a vehicle.

I think when you live in phuket for any period of time you realise that the island has something for everyone, some very quiet areas, some chaotic. I love the place and it's a great place for a holiday, but Thailand has many diverse holiday places to go to.

• Like 1

Is there nowhere safe from photo's of peoples lunches and dinner?

I actually used those photos from my wife's 'Facebook'. You're probably aware, that for many Thais in general (and women in particular), food is an important part of their social lives. 'Sharing' these meal posts with their friends, particularly for those who's friends/family are mainly in other areas, has become the norm. My wife takes more photos of her garden to 'share' than anything else. I'm a member of a military forum, in which photos play a major part, particularly of social occasions. To the casual observer, they would think that every ex Royal Marine has a glass of beer permanently gripped in their hands (nearly, but not quite true.....).

I will confess to taking photos of meals if I'm in a restaurant that I'm going to post about in the 'Favourite/Recommended Restaurant' thread in this forum. Picture/1000 words etc etc.

In this particular post I made, it was in response to an adverse comment about Phuket (rip offs/poor value etc). Again, I thought on this occasion photographic examples would be appropriate.

Agree 100%. I have been to Phuket many times but live in Chiang Mai now and CM is heaven compared to Patong which is a noisy hell

• Like 1

People spend a week in Patong and then pass judgement on the whole island, lovely. I'm not saying its paradise on earth but its a big island with a lot of diversity as already mentioned in the thread, its got all the comforts and necessity's and you can still rent and eat cheap like in the rest of Thailand.

• Like 1

Pagallim, the food and the place looks great.

If you're very happy with your life there and I'm very happy with my life here, we need not have

any argument. I'll have to take back my rash remarks. Maybe I was a bit too harsh based on some

bad experiences I had in Phuket (like in Pattaya) that left me with less than pleasant memories.

Enjoy.

I think the main thing you missed, Brad, is that the guy is looking for advice on Phuket and you start pitching CM.

Why are you even in the Phuket Forum? There is a CM/CR Forum, yes?

OP, lots of good advice has already been posted, I would also recommend either Karon (quick tuk-tuk into and back to hedonistic Patong, don't motorbike that road late at night) or Kata which also has some lady bars. Tons of reasonable accomodations this time of year.

Having lived in Thailand for 9 years, I never made it to Phuket because none of the women from Phuket ever recommended it!

Recently, many have told me it is downright dangerous at night even for them. I'm just conveying what 5 have told me recently. I have no opinion other than what was conveyed to me.

I had a high end friend come to Bangkok and had made very expensive reservations in Phuket and I conveyed what I'm conveying in this post. He spend a day talking to many and making phone calls, and he agreed with what I heard and cancelled all is plans and took a hit on the deposits.

Having lived in Thailand for 9 years, I never made it to Phuket because none of the women from Phuket ever recommended it!

Recently, many have told me it is downright dangerous at night even for them. I'm just conveying what 5 have told me recently. I have no opinion other than what was conveyed to me.

I had a high end friend come to Bangkok and had made very expensive reservations in Phuket and I conveyed what I'm conveying in this post. He spend a day talking to many and making phone calls, and he agreed with what I heard and cancelled all is plans and took a hit on the deposits.

Do you often come to conclusions via heresay? Not going to experience something because so-and-so said this? I'd say thats a feeble way to trek through life.

.....but avoid the burn off season surely(?)

.....but avoid the burn off season surely(?)

To each their own but to call CM the nicest place in Asia is a MASSIVE reach.......