Cambodia's prime minister announces he has quit smoking

geovalin

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said Thursday he has quit smoking after struggling hard to stop for more than 14 years.

"I announce today that I have successfully stopped smoking cigarettes after struggling to quit it for more than 14 years," he said during a graduation ceremony in Phnom Penh.

"I have successfully stopped smoking for eight months already and there is no more smell of cigarette in my house now," he added.

The premier, 62, said he smoked for nearly 40 years.

In February, Cambodia issued a circular banning smoking in public places such as educational institutions, public transportation, health institutions, museums, historical and cultural sites, gas stations and children's gardens.

According to the National Adult Tobacco Survey, roughly 80 percent of Cambodians support the government in adopting a policy that bans smoking in all public and work places.

Cambodians spend roughly $100 million a year on cigarettes.

In 2012, Cambodia banned smoking at its famed Angkor temples, a World Heritage site in northern Siem Reap Province to promote health and prevent possible fires that may harm the temples.

Smoking is still allowed in some parts of the archeological park but not within the compounds of temples.

==Kyodo

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/kyodo-news-international/140925/cambodias-prime-minister-announces-he-has-quit-smoking