AC/DC founder Malcolm Young has dementia: report

webfact

Bad news, Great band.

Yes if you like hearing power chords being played over and over! Now pink floyd are a great band IMHO!

Nowhere near as good as Genesis, mind you..

I guess one could suggest Genesis took inspiration from what Pink Floyd were doing and built on that, as both produced what could be called "progessive rock"

how does one measure how "good" a band is, theoretical musical ability ?, number of songs written ?, number of album sold, number of "number 1 hits" ?

personally the only Genesis album that did it for me was "Abacab" and IMHO Floyd is/was the "better" band overall

but everyone to their own...

Have you heard 'Foxtrot'? Sheer genius. I thought my comment would put a few Floyd fans backs up..

Yeap many times, as regards the "Floyd" fan thing, I wouldnt consider myself a "Floyd" fan per se, or even an AC/DC fan per se

I just like "good music" what ever that means to someone as an indivdual, the people I know are quite "shocked" with me...one minute might be listening to AC/DC and the next

a redition of Puccini's "nesum doma" or something classical, to be honest, other than Abacab, most of the Genesis stuff doesnt appeal to me for some reason, and dont know why.

Seeing as we have moved from comparing bands to specific albums... one could compare "Foxtrot" with "Dark side of the moon" in comparisons of what someone believes "genius" is, We could do the simple comparision as to "greatness" and question which album sold the most as comparision, but this isnt fair either..laugh.png as much as I like DSOTM, there are tracks on their which I really dont like, one is "on the run" and the other is "great gig in the sky" "one the run" to me is a bit of track filler and great gig is over done on the vocals which go on too long, even "time" which is a great track, the intro is too long with the rotodrums.

Sixty-one is pretty early to get dementia. It sounds like early onset dementia and that is not good.

Those guys were serious drinkers; some people can handle it better than others. I can’t help but theorize that it may have something to do with his dementia at such a young age.

You are thinking of Korsikov's disease. That is where you forgot where you left your whiskey glass so you just pour a new one.

His younger brother, Angus, is still there to keep the torch burning....

True, but Malcolm was the songwriting brain and engine of Acca Dacca. Along with his older brother George Young, of Vanda & Young and The Easybeats fame (he co-wrote Friday On My Mind with Harry Vanda, possibly Australia's greatest popular song) they are two of Australia's most prolific songwriter talents.

I hope Acca Dacca can keep it up, but it's got to be difficult if not impossible to replace a songwriter of Malcolm Young's proven ability.

Damn man, you stole my thunder (no pun intended).

I thought I was the only one left alive who knew about that connection.

Friday on my mind was brilliant for sure but what about Evy , one, two and three?

Do you remember little Stevie Wright? Last I heard he was living in a caravan somewhere, stone broke.

Yes, it's pretty hard to narrow down Vanda & Young from the fantastic to the merely great, they've written so many top tunes. The Easybeats themselves still sound remarkably fresh now for a sixties band don't they, so many of their songs translate well today, with Friday On My Mind probably the best example.

I hope Malcolm can recover from this, dementia is such a misunderstood medical condition though.

You know I think my memory is on the way out too and I'm only 64.

I can remember first seeing the Easybeats at 151 Castlereigh St. in Sydney, at a place called the Cave or was it the Cavern? Oh well, if you can remember the 60's then you just weren't there.

• Like 1

It's a really, really sad deal...for Malcolm, his family and the band. As a tribute to Malcolm, the band & 41 years of existence we have organized a tribute show this Friday October 3rd, 2014 @ Fatty's bar and Diner

10644882_837113082988990_899760054341563

AC/DC Tribute - High Voltage Salute Friday Oct. 3rd 2014
It's a High Voltage Tribute Party at Fatty's Bar with a diverse mix of Thailand's local bands (Garage rock, Country/Cuntree, Hardcore, Skinhead, Rock, Pop Punk, Screamo, Soi Rock and anything in-between)

Plastic Section: https://www.facebook.com/PlasticSection
Deadtown Trash: https://www.facebook.com/deadtowntrashbkk
Jimmy Revolt: https://www.facebook.com/jimmyrevolt
Ugoslabier: https://www.facebook.com/ugoslabier
The Botox: www.facebook.com/pages/THE-BOTOX/196382523758020
TSOS: www.facebook.com/thestateofsociety

The Ladz: https://www.facebook.com/Theladzfrombkk
Mathew Fischer & the Fishes www.facebook.com/matthewfischerandthefishes