Spoken Issan Language

Radar501

I do believe my understanding of the spoken Issan language is improving.

The other day at Buriram market, I just know a Thai lady was talking about me. But, I don't think it was in very glowing terms.

This is what I heard:

ዟFARANG!!!

Maybe it's a good thing that I only know a few words.

I think you need to keep practising, I highly doubt she was speaking Issan in Buriram market, more likely Khmer smile.png

Exactly and if the lady was Khmer it would have sounded more like "Prang / Parang" because that is the (Thai) Khmer word for Foreigner

Just next time when you hear it just say: "Parang Chekoot" ;)

Edited by MJCM

Your efforts to learn the "Spoken Isaan Language" is recommendable. Once you hit Bangkok you will discover that nobody understands you. Better chance in a select tourist-hub, because that's where most employees originate from.

The N/E of Thailand (Isaan) was a playing ground for the Khmers and their Lao Co-Raiders for centuries.(How many languages and dialects have been interjected over this long period of time?)

Thanks to Television, there is slowly but surely something like a "common-language" evolving in Thailand.

In the near future, Thais will discover that Thai/Khmer, Thai/Lao, Thai/Bangkok is not a world language.English? As far as I know the Department of education has stricken mandatory english from the ground school curriculum (=useless) about a year ago. And this with ASEAN and all it's sub-contracts around the corner.

The future in paradise looks bright, right?

Cheers.