Is burning season manageable (will mostly work inside all day)?

zone300

Hello guys,

I'm looking to relocate to Chiang Mai for a few months from January, but I see that mid February to mid April is burning season.

My question is, is it manageable to stay in the city during this period if one spends most of their days inside, or is it almost unbearable inside as well?

My reason for going in the first place is to work undisturbed all day long on my laptop anyway, so I will not be much out-and-about except for grabbing a bite to eat, etc.

Thank you for your help!

// Chris

Not to worry the general will give top priority to this problem. As he is very concerned about happiness of those in the north.

It's not good but it's not that bad. Does not stop me and many others play golf etc.

Agree with this, but distance views are not available, and keep away from the red vans; they can be incredibly polluting, pushing out diesel exhaust. Bad news if you're in a narrow street in the city. Use a decent filter mask - not the paper dust excluders.

I walk 5k-10k almost every day. During the Burning season I 'might' wear a face mask on the few days that it's really bad. Otherwise, the only way that I notice the problem is if I look out over the city from the 15th floor and can't see the mountains across the valley. In truth, there are some days when i can't see the building 1k away, but those days are really rather few, and a face mask when walking solves the problem very well. I've never felt the need to relocate during Burning Season.

As other posters have mentioned only a problem if you have breathing problems and there are many people that do.

There was a mediocre effort by, either the Government or ,local authorities,to stop the practice of burning last season.Large banners were put up everywhere but they had zero effect.

I have always wondered why the 1000's of army personnel we have here in the north just can't go and put them out or start fining people but it just seems to be a token effort to change practices

that have been going on for decades. Hardly suitable for most people, especially with families, to re locate to the coast.

There was a mediocre effort by, either the Government or ,local authorities,to stop the practice of burning last season.Large banners were put up everywhere but they had zero effect.

Smoke is coming from Burma, Laos and China at that time of year. There are fires all over the place. The truth is that, no matter what they do locally, it will make little difference.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As other posters have mentioned only a problem if you have breathing problems and there are many people that do.

I have always wondered why the 1000's of army personnel we have here in the north just can't go and put them out or start fining people but it just seems to be a token effort to change practices

that have been going on for decades. Hardly suitable for most people, especially with families, to re locate to the coast.

It will be interesting to see this year what happens with Martial law being in affect. In the past it has been Civilians in charge.

Why come to CM in the poor air quality season if you have choice? If you are inside all day wouldn't it be better to take a swim and walk on the beach in the late afternoon?

It's more about aesthiccs than health unless one is an outlier...

CB

I think if those were the things he wanted to do he would not have posted on Chiang Mai Forum. In fact he may be running away from those temptations as he is serious about doing his work.

• Like 1

We did have one year maybe 5 years ago(?) when it was so bad. the smog even obscured views across the street. But other than that, I've never been bothered by it. There will be a disproportionate number of complaints on the forum because people who are bothered by something are more likely to post.

• Like 1

The sub 10 micron particles affect you whether you know it or not. They get in your lungs and can't get out.

I think you are right on with that.

CMU has done many, and I think they continue working on, air quality, both in Chiang Mai and also all of SE Asia. There studies have shown what you posted and much more information also.

Many of the studies are easily accessible on the internet

• Like 1

I suffer with the 'Smog" and last four years have done a runner during March.

If your mainly inside with air con you should be OK unless your sufferer with bad asthma.

Some years are worse then others, a couple of years ago I departed but my friends said it was very mild back in CM.

Don't let it put you off unless you have breathing problems.

john

Wow, that was a lot of response, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Well, regarding the choice of location, ALL I care about is finding a cheap place with reliable Internet where I can go inside my own little bubble and get a lot of work done over a few months. I don't really care where in the world this is. Thailand seems to be a natural choice, though, as I can get cheap flights out there from where I am and accommodation and cost of living in general is great. And, Chiang Mai seems to be the place where actually finding good, reliable Internet is possible.

Sure, a place overlooking the beach without any smog or pollution would be great, but it seems harder finding good Internet quality at those places.

So, if anyone has any first-hand experience of another place which matches what I'm looking for I am definitely open, but that would be something for another thread I believe.

Anyway, regarding the pollution I thank you all for some great feedback, and I will take it into consideration when choosing a location.

I wish you all a great weekend.

Cheers,

Chris

The sub 10 micron particles affect you whether you know it or not. They get in your lungs and can't get out.

makes no difference I am 72 and have no problem with my lungs other than the self administered cigarette smoking for 30 years. I don't waste my time on studying it. I live here and that is part of it. Just like I don't waste my time studying the sun light or the rain. It is all part and parcel of living and will not change one iota unless I move to another climate. ain't going to happen.smile.png

It is fine indoors but you should get the Filtrete foam and put it over your aircon. Outside was just rally bad for a few days this year but it is still unhealthy for months. End of January is a good time to leave Chiang Mai, not arrive.

• Like 1

makes no difference I am 72 and have no problem with my lungs other than the self administered cigarette smoking for 30 years. I don't waste my time on studying it. I live here and that is part of it. Just like I don't waste my time studying the sun light or the rain. It is all part and parcel of living and will not change one iota unless I move to another climate. ain't going to happen.smile.png

Well this is kind of like smoking was back in the 50's, when you probably started. Back then most people thought there was no harm in it until studies proved otherwise and people eventually believed those studies and quit smoking. But not after many deaths and illnesses that could have been prevented.

Somewhere on Youtube there's a cigarette commercial featuring Dean Martin who says, "They're good for you!"

You do have a point. Those of us in our 70's may suffer no long term effects if we stay in CM for the smoky season, or for that matter if we start smoking.

• Like 1

Sure, a place overlooking the beach without any smog or pollution would be great, but it seems harder finding good Internet quality at those places.

So, if anyone has any first-hand experience of another place which matches what I'm looking for I am definitely open, but that would be something for another thread I believe.

Internet is fine just about everywhere, except maybe really remote islands.

And if you're mostly holed up and working then the cost of living differences between regions is marginal too.

You could do something like Cha Am, Hua Hin, or anywhere along that coast really.

• Like 1