Why you should wear a helmet when riding a m'bike.

thaibeachlovers

To be honest the helmets the OP is displaying are not that great.. I go for full face ones. I got a nice "real" (brandname) helmet for when i don't want to secure it to the bike during shopping (theft) and a shoei helmet (20k bt) that i take on longer rides and will have to secure to the bike in a special made helmet bag. These helmets he shows wont do much if you fall differently your chin will be damaged a lot.

I do agree with you, but having said that, I still have the scar on my chin from dumping my Commando alongside Loch Lomond wearing my brand new first ever full face helmet.

At least it's only a scar. Not sure what exactly happened, but I'd guess that a scar is better than losing your jaw or teeth.

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest whats it like wearing a suit of armor (proper boots and gloves, full helmet, armored jeans and jacket) in Thailand's climate while touring on a sports bike

You will see the majority of serious riders fully geared up when touring around Thailand. It's not a problem at all. I would not go touring with anyone who does not wear proper gear with protection.

Out of interest whats it like wearing a suit of armor (proper boots and gloves, full helmet, armored jeans and jacket) in Thailand's climate while touring on a sports bike

You will see the majority of serious riders fully geared up when touring around Thailand. It's not a problem at all. I would not go touring with anyone who does not wear proper gear with protection.

Riding around town it can get really hot in full gear. But while touring I've never had a problem. I've also never seen serious riders here without full gear.

• Like 1

Its good to see an example that even such cheap helmet can help a lot. Some members here want to make us believe we all should wear top of the line helmets or we will regret it one day. But a helmet for 2,000 Baht can do the same for you. And a helmet for 6-800 Baht still can protect you as we see in the OP. There is no good reason to go without helmet. I always wear one, even for the 500m to 7/11 around the corner. No police but too many idiot scooter racers here in my street.

Disappointing post from you wantan. Do you think that it's wrong to go for the best gear that you can afford? We are talking about protective gear that can save your skin, your limbs, your life, not about bling bling.

I don't mean that you should fully gear up for the 500m ride to 7/11. Just that one should gear up appropriately. I wear an open face when riding around Bkk due to lower speeds etc. But when touring at higher speeds, I always wear a full face helmet as it fits more snugly and does not move around at higher speeds. Same with other gear such as gloves, jacket, pants and shoes / boots.

To be honest the helmets the OP is displaying are not that great.. I go for full face ones. I got a nice "real" (brandname) helmet for when i don't want to secure it to the bike during shopping (theft) and a shoei helmet (20k bt) that i take on longer rides and will have to secure to the bike in a special made helmet bag. These helmets he shows wont do much if you fall differently your chin will be damaged a lot.

I do agree with you, but having said that, I still have the scar on my chin from dumping my Commando alongside Loch Lomond wearing my brand new first ever full face helmet.

What's the bet that your injuries would have been more serious if you were wearing an open face?

• Like 1

Maybe you feel safer with a full face helmet, but not me. I do not care for how they provide leverage for your head to be twisted into terrible angles upon impact. Also, just because you see race car drivers wearing them, that is different than riding a bike. If you look at over 90% of the motorcycle police in the world, they wear the type shown in the picture, and not full face. I can not imagine any agencies that would put helmets through more rigorous testing for rider safety as police agencies do. I follow the lead of the experts. Even NASA does not use full face helmets.

I also see motorbike racers (MotoGP, TT, Superbikes etc) wearing full face helmets. Purely for advertising?

• Like 2

Maybe you feel safer with a full face helmet, but not me. I do not care for how they provide leverage for your head to be twisted into terrible angles upon impact. Also, just because you see race car drivers wearing them, that is different than riding a bike. If you look at over 90% of the motorcycle police in the world, they wear the type shown in the picture, and not full face. I can not imagine any agencies that would put helmets through more rigorous testing for rider safety as police agencies do. I follow the lead of the experts. Even NASA does not use full face helmets.

Also, you mean in that country where the police ride Harley Davidson's? Or in Thailand where they ride scooters?

AFAIK, motorcycle police in Europe and the UK wear full face helmets.

Also, you mean in that country where the police ride Harley Davidson's? Or in Thailand where they ride scooters?

AFAIK, motorcycle police in Europe and the UK wear full face helmets.

Also I started to notice more and more motorcycle police in the US wearing modular helmets. Full face when they ride but then flipped up when speaking to people.

Its good to see an example that even such cheap helmet can help a lot. Some members here want to make us believe we all should wear top of the line helmets or we will regret it one day. But a helmet for 2,000 Baht can do the same for you. And a helmet for 6-800 Baht still can protect you as we see in the OP. There is no good reason to go without helmet. I always wear one, even for the 500m to 7/11 around the corner. No police but too many idiot scooter racers here in my street.

Disappointing post from you wantan. Do you think that it's wrong to go for the best gear that you can afford? We are talking about protective gear that can save your skin, your limbs, your life, not about bling bling.

I don't mean that you should fully gear up for the 500m ride to 7/11. Just that one should gear up appropriately. I wear an open face when riding around Bkk due to lower speeds etc. But when touring at higher speeds, I always wear a full face helmet as it fits more snugly and does not move around at higher speeds. Same with other gear such as gloves, jacket, pants and shoes / boots.

I would support anyone wanting the top protection riding a motorbike but here in Thailand I make exceptions for those who choose the freedom to ride in what they want because of the heat ' wantan ' post is valid it depends on your own perspective and where you live, at my time of life I wouldn't ride everyday in a place like Bkk, so as experienced biker I wear what is comfortable and consider within the circumstances of where and what I am riding and where too.

• Like 2

OP good to hear that you are okay.

I only ride scooters right now and only "top hat" helmets but not cheap ones but something that fits my rather big head nicely.

My wife had a bad accident on a bike 8 years ago (wearing helmet, that saved her from very serious injury or worse) and she never rides without one and always comment on people without one and call them stupid.

Just a simple fall can crack your scull open man, so riding without any helmet IS STUPID no mater if it's only to you nearest 7/11 and back.

The Thais mostly take off their helmets if they know they are safe from the police, it seems that they think you only wear the helmet because of the police, <deleted>.

We take our 5 year son out for rides now and again even if we have a truck but only downtown and I finally found a good helmet fitting him and he know he can't go with us without it.

• Like 2

Just my general two cents on the subject. I didn't bother reading all of the posts because it seemed to go off topic a bit...

I've had a head injury before (I was wearing a certified helmet) and I've seen the results of other people's. Being knocked out is horrible, and I should imagine that scarring and disfigurement would be even worse. And let's not even go into permanent brain damage.

Most of the helmets available cheaply here were not made with decent research, and were probably not safety tested. Personally I wouldn't ride without a decent helmet here - I even take my own helmet if I travel abroad and rent bikes there. Choose a reputable make. Sacrifice a weekend away somewhere to pay for it, or find some way to afford it, because it's about the single most important bit of insurance you'll ever buy.

Back in the 80's n 90's I also used to bring my helmet with me when I came here, couldn't find any decent helmets for sale in Thailand though things have improved now.

I would support anyone wanting the top protection riding a motorbike but here in Thailand I make exceptions for those who choose the freedom to ride in what they want because of the heat ' wantan ' post is valid it depends on your own perspective and where you live, at my time of life I wouldn't ride everyday in a place like Bkk, so as experienced biker I wear what is comfortable and consider within the circumstances of where and what I am riding and where too.

I don't disagree with you at all but the way that I read wantan's post, he's saying that it's enough to wear a 2,000 baht helmet and that 20,000 baht helmets are totally unnecessary.

Apart from the protection that a helmet offers, the comfort factor is also extremely important. Wearing a comfortable helmet WILL make your ride safer than wearing an uncomfortable one. Visors with pin-locks (anti fog) will allow you to see better as well as remove the necessity of having to continuously lift your visor. Good ventilation allows you to cool down better. Reduced wind noise will allow you to hear the surrounding traffic better as well.

One cannot expect to get such features in a 2,000 bht helmet. I absolutely agree that any cheap helmet is better than no helmet. But in most cases, a more expensive helmet is better than a cheap helmet. That's why I believe that a rider that is serious about safety should always buy the best helmet they can afford.

• Like 1

I have a Nolan modular with 2 vents and sun visor inside the visor and a Nolan 3/4 helmet. I hit the pavement hard with the 3/4 and didn't get a scratch on me or even get a headache. Without it I would have been dead or brain damaged.

I see no good reason why not to wear a helmet.

• Like 2

Wearing a helmet while riding a bike is not necessary for most members of this forum any more!

Motorcycle helmets are there to prevent brain damage in the event of a head injury, In the case of most members, sad to say me included,

To Late !!laugh.png

just by chance wantan. but do you want to leave it to chance?

also it depends on your bike and type of rides you are doing.

and you want half helmet, you can get a modular helmet with chin flip.

• Like 1

you mean freedom to die? yeah, you are right. we are free to smash our heads while riding, of courselaugh.png

but no thank you, i want to wear my full face top shelf helmet. i rode everyday in Bangkok with my full face helmet, jacket, boots etc and dont care about heat. get used of it anyway after living in hot climates long years.

heat is nothing when you compare with your life or a visit to hospital followed by painful days.

Same old argument going on forever. If you don't want to wear a helmet or wear a cheap piece of krap go ahead. No need to wear condoms with hookers either.

If someone punches you on the chin does it hurt? If it doesn't no need to wear a full face.

• Like 2

you mean freedom to die? yeah, you are right. we are free to smash our heads while riding, of courselaugh.png

but no thank you, i want to wear my full face top shelf helmet. i rode everyday in Bangkok with my full face helmet, jacket, boots etc and dont care about heat. get used of it anyway after living in hot climates long years.

heat is nothing when you compare with your life or a visit to hospital followed by painful days.

I am thinking more of the car owners who might hit a idiot without a helmet... he dies the car owner still has to pay. I feel that people who don't wear helmets are themselves largely to blame when they die. But here if you hit someone and he dies your in trouble. Otherwise I would say that people could do what they want. My biggest fear when i drive my car is that I hit one of those idiot MC drivers. There are enough of them we all know that.

When I ride my bike I see them too zig zagging idiots that don't plan ahead and wear no protection.

• Like 1

^

I agree with that- I came within millimeters of taking out an stupid tourist on a scooter while I was in my truck- shortly afterward I was next to him at a light and told him he was an idiot for riding like that, and that he should put on a lid- he said, 'Don't sorry about me, mate!'- I said I didn't care if he were run over and sent home to mommy in a box, but I didn't want to be the one who had to spend the day at tne police station filling out paperwork for having killed him.

Correct, i love riding my bike and I have certainly nothing against MC riders but some of them are just asking to get ran over. I am in the process of installing a better dash cam for in the car because I really worry that either me or my gf will have an accident with one of those MC drivers once. I drive real careful in the car and leave room for MC riders but some are just so stupid its only a matter of time.

Not saying that I never did anything bad on the bike or something I thought of later that i should not have done (think everyone has close calls thankfully not too many)

^

I agree with that- I came within millimeters of taking out an stupid tourist on a scooter while I was in my truck- shortly afterward I was next to him at a light and told him he was an idiot for riding like that, and that he should put on a lid- he said, 'Don't sorry about me, mate!'- I said I didn't care if he were run over and sent home to mommy in a box, but I didn't want to be the one who had to spend the day at tne police station filling out paperwork for having killed him.

At least then the stereotype of the falang being at fault would be true.... :D

Interesting that you push for riding fully protected when touring, but are happy to wear basic when riding locally...Its got to be one or the other, doesn't it?

I mean ,when somchai is weaving down the road full of alcohol and or yabba and little driving skill to boot, is he going to specially avoid you because you are ''just riding locally?"blink.png

You really believe that motorcyclists are only at risk of serious injury or death when touring at higher speeds?

• Like 1

Negative thinking is not good and as usual on this subject in Thailand every time it comes up there are people who ride motorbikes the way they do because they can, different opinions safety issue vary a lot.

If you read my post I do say " support ",

You rode in Bkk city, I wouldn't.

And I did say I wear what is necessary whatever the type riding is going to involve.

Question for you : Up to what speed is your super duper helmet going to protect your brain.

• Like 1

Negative thinking is not good and as usual on this subject in Thailand every time it comes up there are people who ride motorbikes the way they do because they can, different opinions safety issue vary a lot.

If you read my post I do say " support ",

You rode in Bkk city, I wouldn't.

And I did say I wear what is necessary whatever the type riding is going to involve.

Question for you : Up to what speed is your super duper helmet going to protect your brain.

not being negative.

actually my words for everyone. sorry if it sounds like i am being negative towards you.

of course we are free to do whatever we like but better we do to take risks, that is what i am talking about. at least for our families and friends and for others on the road that can suffer from this.

of course i sometime wear a half helmet while going to 7 or food market for 1 km as well, dont get me wrong but if proper riding, better we stay in the safe side.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't get hurt or killed on a short trip. It isn't a matter of thinking you're invincible on a quick trip to 7 on your scooter. It's just as likely to get hurt then as it is when touring through the mountains on a big bike. As a matter of fact the only accident I've been involved in was on a short jaunt down the alley to get a snack. Had a teenager fly around a corner on his bike and hit me. I wasn't wearing full gear or a full face helmet. Luckily I landed on the back of my head so the 3/4 helmet did okay. Other than that I walked away with some road rash and soreness.

It's a matter of convenience. When I'm driving down the alley to 7 I don't wear full gear (even after this accident I still don't). Should I? Probably. But it's a matter of risk assesment vs convenience. I have weighed the consequences of not wearing gear for such a short trip and I (and others) personally feel as if these consequences are outweighed by the hassle of gearing up for a 5 minute trip.

• Like 1

Also, just because you see race car drivers wearing them, that is different than riding a bike.

So what about MotoGP, BSB, Isle of Man TT and WSBK riders? In fact any pro bike racer regardless of bike's cc. Conveniently ignored them didn't you?

If you look at over 90% of the motorcycle police in the world, they wear the type shown in the picture, and not full face. I can not imagine any agencies that would put helmets through more rigorous testing for rider safety as police agencies do. I follow the lead of the experts.

Could it be the police bike riders don't use full-face helmets because they need room for the helmet mic and communications set up? Just a thought.

Police use "flip lids" as they can talk easier to members of the public , and promote a more friendly , approchable face. Any helmet is better than none , and even an 35,000 Baht Arai wont save you in some accidents (but surely helps) but the fact one can buy a decent flip or full lid for 5,000 Baht or a cheap one for 1,500 Baht (Index / Real ) means that using one ALWAYS is - pardon the pun - a "No brainer".