Why you should wear a helmet when riding a m'bike.

thaibeachlovers

Rossi doesn't seem to have an issue with not wearing a helmet on a scooter. But these are all at the track. I doubt he would do that on a normal street, even if it was OK with the local laws. He actually had a pretty massive crash in Aragon last weekend and knocked unconscious despite top of the line helmet and a "sterile" environment with no SUV's, poles etc.

I doubt anyone who's involved in riding bikes is looking for safety guarantees from their gear, it's basically just one important way to help reduce the risk.

Great pics rambling, tks for posting. This is exactly my point. A responsible rider, regardless of the bike or displacement thereof, needs to gear up appropriately depending on many factors. My stance is that when touring (higher speeds etc), one needs to gear up more than riding 500m to the local 7/11. One poster in particular (supposedly an instructor in a previous life) feels that it has to be either no gear at all or all the gear.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I post this coz I thought it was funny, I didnt expect the result that is with the second helmet.

Tks for posting Nebula. For this coming Sunday ride, I'm gonna go to Big C tomorrow to pick up one of those "safe" INDEX helmets for 2,000 baht. Anybody interested in buying a secondhand 20,000 baht Multitec Shoei, going cheap?

• Like 1

I post this coz I thought it was funny, I didnt expect the result that is with the second helmet.

Thanks for posting Nebula. For this coming Sunday ride, I'm gonna go to Big C tomorrow to buy one of their "safe" 2,000 baht INDEX helments. Anybody interested in a used 20,000 baht Multitec Shoei? Reasonable offers considered.

Yes, we have seen this video before. But what does it show? There is obviously a cheap helmet brand (RZE?) that is very unsafe. And? Should we now all get our hammers out and hit our helmets?

Guess you would not be able to do this with a cheap Index for 1,000Baht. And for sure not with a Real or Bilmola. But up to you to choose whatever helmet you feel safe with. Being confident with your gear is very important. It helps you to do a relaxed and concentrated riding. So if you need an expensive helmet for this its better to buy such.

Gweiloman, have you ever looked closer to a Real or Bilmola helmet in the price range 2,000-3,000 Baht? Maybe you should before fearmongering here.

I didnt mean anything. It s just funny video and wanted to put something funny in the middle of the argument. I also have an Index, and the other one is not one of the so expensive ones too. I guess it could be seen from the pic I posted before.But I m considering Schuberth, but just that considering :)

• Like 1

But title of the video is "the difference between cheap and expensive helmets". OK, i do not consider Real or Bilmola "cheap", better to say "inexpensive". But imo its a stupid video, as even most (all?) supermarket helmets would do better. The video is a good example of what load of nonsense is there on youtube. People hitting their new Iphone with a hammer. Maybe they should hit their own head instead (without wearing a helmet) wink.png

I didnt mean anything. It s just funny video and wanted to put something funny in the middle of the argument. I also have an Index, and the other one is not one of the so expensive ones too. I guess it could be seen from the pic I posted before.But I m considering Schuberth, but just that considering smile.png

No need to apologise. Most clowns believe if they buy a 40k scooter they shouldn't pay over 1k for a helmet or just use the free helmet you get with the scooter.

If you'd like to do your own test on your cheap helmets we can all put in a few hundred baht or so each.

If i buy a helmet that has ECE 22.05 or DOT label i dont think i "take a chance". These labels are there for exactly this reason, to protect the customer to take a chance. Real and Bilmola helmets ALL have ECE label. Some older Real helmets had DOT label iirr, but ECE is better imo. Of course customers should look for this.

If i buy a helmet that has ECE 22.05 or DOT label i dont think i "take a chance". These labels are there for exactly this reason, to protect the customer to take a chance. Real and Bilmola helmets ALL have ECE label. Some older Real helmets had DOT label iirr, but ECE is better imo. Of course customers should look for this.

Like this? I wondered if it was real.

post-187908-0-61168600-1412139255_thumb.

Typical TV bike forum nonsense about "real riders" who need top of the line helmets for "proper touring" and others on their scooters/phantom/smallBike who do "not ride" and thus not really need a helmet at all. Or maybe they need, but not if they have the skills of a Rossi, what of course only "real riders" have rolleyes.gif

Gweilo Gweilo, you disappoint me laugh.png

Wantan, no idea what you are talking about.

I'm saying that in my opinion, it's enough to wear an open face helmet for city riding due to lower speeds, easier predictability of actions of other road users and more time to react. When touring, everything happens a lot quicker which to me means higher risks and therefore, we should gear up accordingly. Furthermore, injuries sustained at higher speed crashes tend to be more serious thus the need for better protection all round.

easier predictability of actions of other road users and more time to react

sorry, but that is just not true. if it were, i'd be typing with two fingers now.

i was going slowly, but the other guy, who was not looking where he was going, rode very fast into me, catapulting me off my bike and causing my injuries. i was trying to avoid him, but to no avail.

however, it isn't going to stop me riding again and i will be using a similar helmet, not a full face. i'll just be 100% more cautious in future,

btw, not much said on here about gloves. i use a good leather pair, not those cotton ones used by m'bike taxi frivers, and they saved my hand from being much worse than a fracture.

thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

Typical TV bike forum nonsense about "real riders" who need top of the line helmets for "proper touring" and others on their scooters/phantom/smallBike who do "not ride" and thus not really need a helmet at all. Or maybe they need, but not if they have the skills of a Rossi, what of course only "real riders" have rolleyes.gif

Gweilo Gweilo, you disappoint me laugh.png

Wantan, no idea what you are talking about.

I'm saying that in my opinion, it's enough to wear an open face helmet for city riding due to lower speeds, easier predictability of actions of other road users and more time to react. When touring, everything happens a lot quicker which to me means higher risks and therefore, we should gear up accordingly. Furthermore, injuries sustained at higher speed crashes tend to be more serious thus the need for better protection all round.

easier predictability of actions of other road users and more time to react

sorry, but that is just not true. if it were, i'd be typing with two fingers now.

i was going slowly, but the other guy, who was not looking where he was going, rode very fast into me, catapulting me off my bike and causing my injuries. i was trying to avoid him, but to no avail.

however, it isn't going to stop me riding again and i will be using a similar helmet, not a full face. i'll just be 100% more cautious in future,

btw, not much said on here about gloves. i use a good leather pair, not those cotton ones used by m'bike taxi frivers, and they saved my hand from being much worse than a fracture.

thanks for all the replies.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

It is impossible to predict with 100% certainty, the actions of other road users. But you cannot deny that the slower the speed, the more time you will have to try and predict (or anticipate as the case may be), the actions of other road users as well as having more time to react. This is just an undeniable fact but it does not mean that one won't have accidents even at slow speeds.

• Like 2

I didnt mean anything. It s just funny video and wanted to put something funny in the middle of the argument. I also have an Index, and the other one is not one of the so expensive ones too. I guess it could be seen from the pic I posted before.But I m considering Schuberth, but just that considering smile.png

Just my extra 2 bahts worth at this point, let them argue, and to comment on the video cheap or expensive, how old was the cheap helmet they deteriorate quickly and if dropped should be replaced and an expensive one if only dropped can be checked by the manufacturer usually at no cost but postage.

The cheap helmet probably passed the 16mph test in a laboratory and they don't use club hammers to test them in that way.

Not to go without saying an expensive helmet should be replaced usually at the 2 year period that is the recommendation.

How old is your super duper expensive helmets.?? whistling.giflaugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Just my extra 2 bahts worth at this point, let them argue, and to comment on the video cheap or expensive, how old was the cheap helmet they deteriorate quickly and if dropped should be replaced and an expensive one if only dropped can be checked by the manufacturer usually at no cost but postage.

The cheap helmet probably passed the 16mph test in a laboratory and they don't use club hammers to test them in that way.

Not to go without saying an expensive helmet should be replaced usually at the 2 year period that is the recommendation.

How old is your super duper expensive helmets.?? whistling.giflaugh.png

there was a Shoei helmet master from Japan at Paddock stand during last Central World and he said, if it is kept properly with no drops, it can go long years.

and overall, of course there is a difference between 2000 thb and 20,000 thb helmets. it is all about R&D and how much the makers can afford to fork out and of course brands like Shoei, Arai, AGV and some more have money to put on it but what about Index or Bilmola, do they have that much amount to invest expensive R&D?

it is not about the thickness of foam but overall design, quality, years of experience, material used, comfort and attention to detail.

• Like 1

To be honest, i dont know anything about this "Titan". But it is a typical supermaket helmet. One of the "better" supermarket helmets, but still very basic and made at low cost. This is why i try to convince people to at least go to a helmet dealer and at least invest 2,000 Baht for your helmet. For 2,400 Baht i got a Real G-Force. A very nice and comfortable helmet. And i trust the ECE label on it.

I wonder why you bought such helmet if you dont trust the labels on it. I just walk away if i think it isnt real.

• Like 1

To be honest, i dont know anything about this "Titan". But it is a typical supermaket helmet. One of the "better" supermarket helmets, but still very basic and made at low cost. This is why i try to convince people to at least go to a helmet dealer and at least invest 2,000 Baht for your helmet. For 2,400 Baht i got a Real G-Force. A very nice and comfortable helmet. And i trust the ECE label on it.

I wonder why you bought such helmet if you dont trust the labels on it. I just walk away if i think it isnt real.

It's an Index helmet that I bought at a motorcycle shop that had a thousands other helmets for sale too. If you don't know anything about it how do you know so much about it?

http://www.indexhelmet.com/carts/

• Like 1

It's an Index helmet that I bought at a motorcycle shop that had a thousands other helmets for sale too. If you don't know anything about it how do you know so much about it?

http://www.indexhelmet.com/carts/

LOL, you are right. Maybe this Index brand isnt that bad either. But i have never owned one, so i better stop saying anything about it.

We all have our brands we trust from our experience. I trust Real. And i guess even in Thailand officials have an eye on such helmet labels, because these helmets should protect thai people. And the other manufacturers would not allow competitors to use fake labels. But maybe i am completely wrong and there is a helmet mafia in Thailand doing what they want. Whatever, no risk no fun biggrin.png

there was a Shoei helmet master from Japan at Paddock stand during last Central World and he said, if it is kept properly with no drops, it can go long years.

and overall, of course there is a difference between 2000 thb and 20,000 thb helmets. it is all about R&D and how much the makers can afford to fork out and of course brands like Shoei, Arai, AGV and some more have money to put on it but what about Index or Bilmola, do they have that much amount to invest expensive R&D?

it is not about the thickness of foam but overall design, quality, years of experience, material used, comfort and attention to detail.

I would of said to him I knew you were going to say that biggrin.png he is a salesman.

All I really try to say that the difference in helmet costs is the materials used, to pay for a expensive is no brain'er it is bound to be good quality, as for the cheaper ones I think ' wantan ' has already explain that.

My youngest son during his track day at Silverstone. Anyone recognize the Helmet, yes expensive.

post-87530-0-69891200-1412144870_thumb.j

• Like 1