Lessons on democracy to be taught shortly

Lite Beer

History teaches us that anything is possible. If that was not the case we wouldn't have progress, now would we ?

History also teaches us that military juntas do not create more democratic societies.

History teaches us that anything is possible.

For example, in January 2012 the hand picked Minister of Education in the clone PM Yingluck cabinet published his policy on education starting with the philosophy behind it. That philosophy started with something a criminal fugitive had said.

Of course history really likes criminals to influence the education of our kids.

History has taught us that we do not only have progress. Sometimes we move backwards rather than forwards.

But let me add to my other question - I promise to try to not overlook your reply to this one - does history teach us that military juntas can create more democratic societies?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, in January 2012 the hand picked Minister of Education in the clone PM Yingluck cabinet published his policy on education starting with the philosophy behind it. That philosophy started with something a criminal fugitive had said.

Of course history really likes criminals to influence the education of our kids.

Be careful about posting anything educational rubl. The junta wants their people to teach democracy, they don't want anyone else doing so:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

The same story was covered by these three press organizations, and probably others:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailands-military-junta-raids-university-seminar-on-democracy-arresting-seven-9745933.html

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1609036/no-hope-rights-thai-professors-say-after-junta-halts-democracy-seminar

http://japanfocus.org/-Tyrell-Haberkorn/4199

I wonder if and how the Thailand press reported on this.

I found the following paragraph especially informative:

"The coup leader, Prayuth Chan-ocha, has been unapologetic. He views criticism of the junta as divisive and unhelpful. He said any group that wants to hold such seminars must get approval first, so the content can be screened — because "if it's about democracy or elections, or how the government is today, this they can't discuss.""

I guess PM Prayut also doesn't like it when a criminal fugitive's statement is used as philosophy to base ones education policy on.

so if you answered the question, then I obviously missed your answer. Humor me and answer one more time, please.

Do you think the Press Freedom Index is manipulated?

Thanks

The Press Freedom Index is being manipulated by both you and KJJ in the sense that you misuse and misinterpret and suggest / insinuate, etc., etc. IMHO.

I hope you feel much more happy now.

Cheers,

uncle rubl

History has taught us that we do not only have progress. Sometimes we move backwards rather than forwards.

But let me add to my other question - I promise to try to not overlook your reply to this one - does history teach us that military juntas can create more democratic societies?

If history teaches us anything its that anything is possible and might actually happen at any time.

The moon hasn't disappeared from the sky, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

so if you answered the question, then I obviously missed your answer. Humor me and answer one more time, please.

Thanks

The Press Freedom Index is being manipulated by both you and KJJ in the sense that you misuse and misinterpret and suggest / insinuate, etc., etc. IMHO.

Cheers,

uncle rubl

so you don't understand a direct question, or you just don't want to answer?

but I guess now that you do not think that the Press Freedom Index has been manipulated and that you just are doing your usual post-count run-up

Thanks

Cheers,

uncle rubl

so you don't understand a direct question, or you jus.t don't want to answer?

but I guess now that you do not think that the Press Freedom Index has been manipulated and that you just are doing your usual post-count run-up

So you don't like a direct answer or you have some problems understanding the answer. Did I use too difficult words in my answer?

As for post-count run-ups, you're on 516 in two months. Keep it up and you'll reach my 16156 in less than half the time it took me wink.png

If history teaches us anything its that anything is possible and might actually happen at any time.

The moon hasn't disappeared from the sky, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

good job rubl, good job

many times in different ways you dodge the fact that NO military dictatorship in the WORLD has created a more democratic society after a coup.

good job, good job ) junta cheerleader to the end.

Oh come on TB, you should first tell me which military dictatorship had as goal to create a more democratic society, or even tried to create a democratic society.

If no military dictatorship ever tried to create such then why are you asking me to name what wasn't there yet?

So you don't like a direct answer or you have some problems understanding the answer. Did I use too difficult words in my answer?

As for post-count run-ups, you're on 516 in two months. Keep it up and you'll reach my 16156 in less than half the time it took me wink.png

So you don't like a direct answer

let me see if I can find the right response, ....

here 'tis:

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So you don't like a direct answer

let me see if I can find the right response, ....

here 'tis:

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To repeat my answer:

"The Press Freedom Index is being manipulated by both you and KJJ in the sense that you misuse and misinterpret and suggest / insinuate, etc., etc. IMHO."

Can't help it you don't like it, don't understand it, or simply want to continue baiting.

Be careful about posting anything educational rubl. The junta wants their people to teach democracy, they don't want anyone else doing so:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

The same story was covered by these three press organizations, and probably others:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailands-military-junta-raids-university-seminar-on-democracy-arresting-seven-9745933.html

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1609036/no-hope-rights-thai-professors-say-after-junta-halts-democracy-seminar

"The coup leader, Prayuth Chan-ocha, has been unapologetic. He views criticism of the junta as divisive and unhelpful. He said any group that wants to hold such seminars must get approval first, so the content can be screened — because "if it's about democracy or elections, or how the government is today, this they can't discuss.""

I guess PM Prayut also doesn't like it when a criminal fugitive's statement is used as philosophy to base ones education policy on.

Clearly you are posting without making any effort to check the evidence, even when the evidence is only a click away. Thaksin had nothing to do with this shut-down of an academic seminar.

I was going to accuse you of being out of touch with reality, then I saw your post in which you compared the chances of a military coup leading to democracy to the chances of the moon disappearing from the sky. Maybe you do get it.

• Like 1

good job rubl, good job

many times in different ways you dodge the fact that NO military dictatorship in the WORLD has created a more democratic society after a coup.

Oh come on TB, you should first tell me which military dictatorship had as goal to create a more democratic society, or even tried to create a democratic society.

If no military dictatorship ever tried to create such then why are you asking me to name what wasn't there yet?

You do know that the junta has made it clear that democracy is not their top priority, don't you?

Clearly you are posting without making any effort to check the evidence, even when the evidence is only a click away. Thaksin had nothing to do with this shut-down of an academic seminar.

I was going to accuse you of being out of touch with reality, then I saw your post in which you compared the chances of a military coup leading to democracy to the chances of the moon disappearing from the sky. Maybe you do get it.

I wrote "Of course history really likes criminals to influence the education of our kids."and you came with a reply to which I continued with "I guess PM Prayut also doesn't like it when a criminal fugitive's statement is used as philosophy to base ones education policy on."

And now you state that your replies had/have nothing to do with a criminal fugitive.

Is that another Brucy lesson in democracy?

Good job rubl, good job

You do know that the junta has made it clear that democracy is not their top priority, don't you?

If history doesn't show us any military dictatorship which had as goal democracy, why ask me to name one?

This Thai NCPO obviously didn't reach any goals yet, so why the remarks that democracy is not their top priority? Does that relate to not existing military dictatorships which had democracy as goal?

It is with reluctance and regret that I may have to come to the conclusion you guys are just into obfuscation and baiting and without any real interest in democracy or even democracy for Thailand. Well, thanks for that lesson

I wrote "Of course history really likes criminals to influence the education of our kids."and you came with a reply to which I continued with "I guess PM Prayut also doesn't like it when a criminal fugitive's statement is used as philosophy to base ones education policy on."

And now you state that your replies had/have nothing to do with a criminal fugitive.

The topic isn't about a criminal fugitive, it's about democracy education in Thailand.

Your post, and my replies, had to do with education in Thailand. I posted a statement from Prayth that indicates his attitude about the free exchange of ideas on a university campus:

"The coup leader, Prayuth Chan-ocha, has been unapologetic. He views criticism of the junta as divisive and unhelpful. He said any group that wants to hold such seminars must get approval first, so the content can be screened — because "if it's about democracy or elections, or how the government is today, this they can't discuss."" http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

You allude to something Thaksin said, but don't tell us what he said or explain why it is relevant to the topic. That's why I ignored it.

Regarding your imagined lessons in democracy, clearly that's not allowed without advanced screening and approval from the junta.

good job rubl, good job

CheerLeader1.gif

Thailand moved from absolute monarchy to a democratic system via a military coup.

The topic isn't about a criminal fugitive, it's about democracy education in Thailand.

Your post, and my replies, had to do with education in Thailand. I posted a statement from Prayth that indicates his attitude about the free exchange of ideas on a university campus:

"The coup leader, Prayuth Chan-ocha, has been unapologetic. He views criticism of the junta as divisive and unhelpful. He said any group that wants to hold such seminars must get approval first, so the content can be screened — because "if it's about democracy or elections, or how the government is today, this they can't discuss."" http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

You allude to something Thaksin said, but don't tell us what he said or explain why it is relevant to the topic. That's why I ignored it.

Regarding your imagined lessons in democracy, clearly that's not allowed without advanced screening and approval from the junta.

Please, make up your mind before you post. I wrote about a criminal fugitive who had tremendous influence on a democratically elected government to the point his MoE even used his statements as philosophy to base a policy on.

Now that's interesting, isn't it? A criminal being allowed to influence education. Democratically of course.

Please, make up your mind before you post. I wrote about a criminal fugitive who had tremendous influence on a democratically elected government to the point his MoE even used his statements as philosophy to base a policy on.

Now that's interesting, isn't it? A criminal being allowed to influence education. Democratically of course.

I'm sorry, I thought we were posting on education. That is what the OP is about, and you did mention education when you wrote:

"For example, in January 2012 the hand picked Minister of Education in the clone PM Yingluck cabinet published his policy on education starting with the philosophy behind it. That philosophy started with something a criminal fugitive had said."

Regarding whether Thaksin's quote was interesting, I can't say if it's interesting without knowing what the quote is. Why won't you share it with us?

I think Prayuth's quote is interesting:

"if it's about democracy or elections, or how the government is today, this they can't discuss."

It seems like that would be a serious limitation on teaching about democracy at Thammasat University. What do you think?

Good job rubl, good job

If history doesn't show us any military dictatorship which had as goal democracy, why ask me to name one?

This Thai NCPO obviously didn't reach any goals yet, so why the remarks that democracy is not their top priority? Does that relate to not existing military dictatorships which had democracy as goal?

It is with reluctance and regret that I may have to come to the conclusion you guys are just into obfuscation and baiting and without any real interest in democracy or even democracy for Thailand. Well, thanks for that lesson

You've obfuscated the devil out of this point, but you've indirectly conceded that no military dictatorship has resulted in democracy, and that it is not the top priority of this dictatorship. Yet you support this dictatorship and accuse those who object to it of not being interested in democracy. It's always amusing debating you rubl.

Let's now get on topic and discuss a dictatorship that doesn't make democracy a top priority and that shuts down democracy discussions at one of Thailand's top university. Do you think this dictatorship is qualified to teach democracy lessons?

good job rubl, good job

CheerLeader1.gif

Thailand moved from absolute monarchy to a democratic system via a military coup.

but that was overthrowing a dictatorship, not creating one, now wasn't it?

although I think the chances of that happening in the current situation are slim, exactly that possibility was reported as the reason the 'PM' was so careful about his successor and the other changes made before he 'retired' from his military job.

While that still might be possible, I do not think it is likely at this time.

good job rubl, good job

for the last 5 decades, the coup-makers in Thailand have claimed that as the justification of their actions.

Try again, Rubl. Dodge the question one more time, please.

although I think the chances of that happening in the current situation are slim, exactly that possibility was reported as the reason the 'PM' was so careful about his successor and the other changes made before he 'retired' from his military job.

But that wasn't the question, was it?

Perhaps the lesson to be learned it to learn to evaluate things on their own merits rather than in what pieces and fragments of history can be better used to better fit in our opinions.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned it to learn to evaluate things on their own merits rather than in what pieces and fragments of history can be better used to better fit in our opinions.

actually that was the question.

You are right, it wasn't the question, it wasn't even a question, it was a statement, and that statement is not true.

You said:

"... the fact that NO military dictatorship in the WORLD has created a more democratic society after a coup."

I said:

"Thailand moved from absolute monarchy to a democratic system via a military coup."

You were wrong, get over it.

You are right, it wasn't the question, it wasn't even a question, it was a statement, and that statement is not true.

You said:

"... the fact that NO military dictatorship in the WORLD has created a more democratic society after a coup."

I said:

"Thailand moved from absolute monarchy to a democratic system via a military coup."

you really don't understand English do you?

re-read the posts. You don't understand my statement and you also apparently can't read my direct question to Rubl.

I won't bother saying that you are wrong because you certainly will not understand that either.

• Like 2

You said:

I said:

If you want to be pedantic, then let's make a more precise statement that illustrates the obvious point he was trying to make (sorry tbthailand if I am putting words in your mouth).

How about "no military overthrow of an elected government has created a more democratic society than before the coup"?

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You said:

I said:

re-read the posts. You don't understand my statement and you also apparently can't read my direct question to Rubl.

I won't bother saying that you are wrong because you certainly will not understand that either.

You asked: "does history teach us that military juntas can create more democratic societies?"

Then you stated: "... the fact that NO military dictatorship in the WORLD has created a more democratic society after a coup."

I said: "Thailand moved from absolute monarchy to a democratic system via a military coup."

Your statement, on the face of the fact I presented, is debunked.

You said:

I said:

If you want to be pedantic, then let's make a more precise statement that illustrates the obvious point he was trying to make (sorry tbthailand if I am putting words in your mouth).

How about "no military overthrow of an elected government has created a more democratic society than before the coup"?

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problem, your statement is correct, and I believe that another poster posed that question to Rubl, My question did not talk about coups, but specifically military dictatorships creating a more democratic society. AleG is perhaps confused by my adding 'after a coup' to the end of my statement above. But as I said, and as you clarify, it is a basic issue he has with comprehension.

The objective of '32 was to overthrown the absolute monarchy - a nice euphemism by the way - to create a democracy. That it was done by the military was obvious, but it was not to rule as or to install a dictatorship but to remove one.

In either case, both formulations have been posed as questions and remain, for obvious reasons, unanswered.

You said:

I said:

You asked: "does history teach us that military juntas can create more democratic societies?"

Then you stated: "... the fact that NO military dictatorship in the WORLD has created a more democratic society after a coup."

I said: "Thailand moved from absolute monarchy to a democratic system via a military coup."

Your statement, on the face of the fact I presented, is debunked.

no it is not. See post above. you don't understand basic English. you've debunked nothing and who cares anyway? Figure out how to read, please.

• Like 1