Lessons on democracy to be taught shortly

Lite Beer

I used to have a similar position to Rubi. For years I read the Bangkok Post and The Nation and thought they did a decent job on reporting.

Then, the internet came alive and I had access to better information. Comparing what I had read in the Thai press and what was available on the web, I concluded the local press was as bad as the press in North Korea. There is no free press in Thailand.

You can't defend your position if you have only read what they let you read.

Nobody, I mean nobody would defend this junta (and their backers) if they take the time to get a balanced view of the situation.

Its true that countries with a good democracy like Australia Have banned this Junta from setting foot on their soil.

And its silly to try and defend a morally indefensible over throw of democratic rule.

But weak men exist in every Nation.

There will always be individual's who are passive submitting types.

Men in military uniforms with guns they begin to admire .

Stockholm Syndrome suffers , cowards , and just uneducated easily indoctrinated morons.

Democracy in Thailand is so disgracefully displaced at present the reader has to go no further than re-writes of history happening in text books…..

I noted John Kerry American secretary of State refused to shake the Thai deputy leaders hand this week in a snub that made the loss of face abundantly clear they are not viewed in endearing terms.

Nor should they be-

This childish discourse on the meaning of democracy from a Junta is extremely audacious thats best left for cowards and their groupies to mull over.

John Kerry shunned the Thai? What is our Embassy telling him? I guess he read the wikileaks..

If only John Kerry read The Nation, then he would know the truth.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prem shunned the new Thai administration last week on his birthday. (or visa-versa)

The traditional military visit to Prems house didn't happen this year.

Even Yingluk paid respects to Thailand's head man on his birthday along with top military brass.

There appears to be a divide at the top.

The General is positioning himself to lead the next Privy council I believe.

Prem shunned the new Thai administration last week on his birthday. (or visa-versa)

The traditional military visit to Prems house didn't happen this year.

Even Yingluk paid respects to Thailand's head man on his birthday along with top military brass.

There appears to be a divide at the top.

The General is positioning himself to lead the next Privy council I believe.

Does Prem have two birthdays?

He has one in August. I didn't realise he had one in September/October as well.

Last month. Aug 26. Finally you got one right.clap2.gif

Not the point of my post. It conveys a split at the highest levels.

A passing of the torch.

That's what the entire political mess has been about for the last 10 years.

Now you know.

At 94, maybe he's just getting too old for official functions.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, I didn't look at the report because you haven't provided a link to it.

Are you color blind? If not, click on the blue below, in the post you replied to earlier.

... and that is why it is necessary to teach the people what Democracy really means and entails.

Before Thaksin 90% of government investment was in Bangkok. After 12 years of on and off Shinawatra governance the figure was reduced to 72% http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2012/05/10/thailand-public-finance-management-review-report.

Shinawatra parties consistently won more votes than other parties because they distributed government spending a little more evenly. So the voters outside of Bangkok were voting in their interests when they voted for these Shinawatra parties, and the voters inside Bangkok were acting in their interests when they fought to keep Bangkok the focal point of government spending.

Do you know of any democracy where voters do not vote in their interests? Do you think the people of Bangkok need to be educated about the need for equitably distributed government investment?

Putting aside your dubious statistics....

Yes, everyone should be educated about best government practices, what would make you believe I don't think so?

What you are arguing is not in favour of Democracy, it is in favour of populism to gain political power.

Does Democracy get better the more handouts politicians give out to gain support? Or better Democracy is achieved when an informed population makes decisions not only on their own self interest but with the interests of their country and fellow citizens in mind?

accurately understand democracy

Unquote

This is troubling coming from a man who ceased power.

You are probably new to Thailand. It was necessary to seize power in order to start Thailand on the road of democracy. It had been a Government of one family for 11 of the last 14 years. Even the three years it was out it carried enough power to affectively block the in government from making many changes. It also created an army of terrorists and launched them on to Thailand. They also set up a school to teach democracy and when you passed it you could join the terrorists practicing it's brand of Democracy.

Maybe before you post you should look up the facts. Not only what Thailand has had in the past but what the man is trying to do for Thailand.

If you were one of those who have lost a lot of money as a result of the cutting back on corruption and their are many who are. Also they are vocal about the fact that there is a non elected government in power supported by the majority of the people fighting corruption rather than encouraging it. I offer you my condolences.

I am not making a personal accusation it is just a general one. I have no idea if you fall into that category or not.

Congratulations on making the most glib and nonsensical post I've ever seen on TVF whilst calling out another poster for being ignorant. Either this genius satire, or...

So, most comments are off topic ?

Anyway, you seem like an ivory tower airchair 'democracy' warrior who doesn't know any common or poor Thai. Only concerned with 'amart', faulty 'democracy' and zigzagging along. From afar, safely away from that dangerous place called Thailand.

The list of people who liked your post seems to confirm that an aggressive stance only polarises.

"Anyway, you seem like an ivory tower airchair 'democracy' warrior who doesn't know any common or poor Thai. Only concerned with 'amart', faulty 'democracy' and zigzagging along. From afar, safely away from that dangerous place called Thailand."

Wrong, but funny. Having nothing to post doesn't keep you from posting.

Democracy does seem to have its drawbacks, now doesn't it rolleyes.gif

good point

I will stand in awe of your brilliance if you can prove there are NRC members advocating serious reform of the military.

Democracy lesson 1, kiddies,

Every democracy in the world has a professional military under control of a civilian government. There are no exceptions to rule number one.

I will stand in awe when you show concern for common Thai people, rather than obfuscating and showing concern for a faulty democracy which seemingly allowed a criminal fugitive to control 'his' country from afar through a clone PM and a cabinet / group of 'his' party MPS who regularly came for praise and new orders.

Democracy 'brucy' style anyone? Maybe 'tbthailand style' ? Last offer, all thrown together, real cheap, anyone ?

What is most notable about your post rubl, is that you in no way address what tbthailand wrote. You just offer sarcasm and once again go on about Thaksin the criminal fugitive (charged by the last military junta and convicted under the government installed by that junta). How many generals would be criminal fugitives if they didn't allow themselves to rewrite constitutions and grant themselves immunity?

I think tbthailand's 'Democracy lesson 1' is the finest post on this entire thread. Although I don't think it is completely true, if I remember correctly Costa Rica is a democracy without a military. Maybe Thailand should try that, democracy Costa Rica style.

I tend to ignore questions which are off topic, loaded, or simply meant to distract or divert. Also I vaguely remember that I am under no 'democratic' obligation to answer questions like that.

As such tbthailand's lesson in democracy is a good example of how democratic principles can be used and abused by those who don't care about democracy but only about their program of obfuscation and distraction.

I used to have a similar position to Rubi. For years I read the Bangkok Post and The Nation and thought they did a decent job on reporting.

Then, the internet came alive and I had access to better information. Comparing what I had read in the Thai press and what was available on the web, I concluded the local press was as bad as the press in North Korea. There is no free press in Thailand.

Nobody, I mean nobody would defend this junta (and their backers) if they take the time to get a balanced view of the situation.

When the Internet became more accessible to a broader group of people the first abuses came as well. People thinking they're anonymous just like to write what ever comes to mind without being bothered by truth, manners, sense. That's at least one reason why many countries now have laws to make people behave on the Internet, just like they should behave in real life.

BTW a balanced view might cause despair thinking of poor Thailand and might induce some to advocate a UN force to take over Thailand for ten years to bring it more rapidly into the 21st centure, with a possibility of skipping the 20th century entirely. IMHO

Its true that countries with a good democracy like Australia Have banned this Junta from setting foot on their soil.

And its silly to try and defend a morally indefensible over throw of democratic rule.

Stockholm Syndrome suffers , cowards , and just uneducated easily indoctrinated morons.

Democracy in Thailand is so disgracefully displaced at present the reader has to go no further than re-writes of history happening in text books…..

I noted John Kerry American secretary of State refused to shake the Thai deputy leaders hand this week in a snub that made the loss of face abundantly clear they are not viewed in endearing terms.

Nor should they be-

This childish discourse on the meaning of democracy from a Junta is extremely audacious thats best left for cowards and their groupies to mull over.

John Kerry shunned the Thai? What is our Embassy telling him? I guess he read the wikileaks..

Hey guys, in this universe we had

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764198-tanasak-tells-un-why-thai-army-took-control-of-the-country/page-7#entry8466431

Oh, bt the way, it would seem US Secratary of State John Kerry shook hands with ALL ten Asean Foreign Ministers at the Asean-US meeting during the annual UNGA. Probably just diplomatic pressure as all those Aseans stick together rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

Nor should they be-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764198-tanasak-tells-un-why-thai-army-took-control-of-the-country/page-7#entry8466431

Oh, bt the way, it would seem US Secratary of State John Kerry shook hands with ALL ten Asean Foreign Ministers at the Asean-US meeting during the annual UNGA. Probably just diplomatic pressure as all those Aseans stick together rolleyes.gif

Kerry shunned the Thai deputy PM

And TONY Abbott (Australian PM ) said ""They are not setting foot here""

Edited by Fred Flinstone

Kerry shunned the Thai deputy PM

And TONY Abbott (Australian PM ) said ""They are not setting foot here""

So, US Secretary of State John Kerry didn't shake hands with Dept. PM Gen. Tanasak, but only with Minister of Foreign Affairs Gen. Tanasak.

As for PM Tony Abbotts remark, well, maybe he tried to distract from issues he was facing at home with begin of July. Surely he didn't want to be seen doing what others already had condemned the Thai for.

"telegraph.co.uk Tony Abbott, Australia's prime minister, has been accused of breaching international law amid reports he deployed the Australian navy to pick up more than 150 Tamil asylum seekers and handed them over to the Sri Lankan authorities."

Anyway, on the 31st of May we had

"''The Australian government has also put in place a mechanism to prevent the leaders of the coup from travelling to Australia."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australia-loosens-its-ties-with-thais-over-coup-20140531-39b6d.html

Of course, PM Abbott received overwhelming support from all Australians who are no longer visiting Thailand or doing business here. Somewhat allegedly that is or seems to be

"Since you seem to dislike your own lessons in democracy, it would seem you get somewhat weird."

My lessons in democracy? You mean those childish things you wrote when you could no longer defend you nonsense statements?

"anything which you think can be used against the junta."

The most obvious criticisms of the junta can not be printed here, but there is still much else to comment on.

So you question the article published in The Nation? You seemed happy with their reports when they published articles about questionable polls that show everyone is happy. But I assume you can prove this article is wrong and show that there are a significant number of people in the NRC who supported the PTP and opposed the coup. I will stand in awe of your brilliance if you can prove there are NRC members advocating serious reform of the military.

Keep searching for the new democracy curriculum, it seems to be carefully hidden. That's why comments on this topic started on on the qualifications of a military junta to implement democracy lessons.

good point

I will stand in awe of your brilliance if you can prove there are NRC members advocating serious reform of the military.

Every democracy in the world has a professional military under control of a civilian government. There are no exceptions to rule number one.

I will stand in awe when you show concern for common Thai people, rather than obfuscating and showing concern for a faulty democracy which seemingly allowed a criminal fugitive to control 'his' country from afar through a clone PM and a cabinet / group of 'his' party MPS who regularly came for praise and new orders.

Democracy 'brucy' style anyone? Maybe 'tbthailand style' ? Last offer, all thrown together, real cheap, anyone ?

To even try to claim that I do not have or show concern for Thai people is childish and completely unfounded. So if you want to stand in awe, then go do it in the corner as you obviously need a time-out with that series of idiotic posts.

Anyway, you seem like an ivory tower airchair 'democracy' warrior who doesn't know any common or poor Thai. Only concerned with 'amart', faulty 'democracy' and zigzagging along. From afar, safely away from that dangerous place called Thailand.

The list of people who liked your post seems to confirm that an aggressive stance only polarises.

"Anyway, you seem like an ivory tower airchair 'democracy' warrior who doesn't know any common or poor Thai. Only concerned with 'amart', faulty 'democracy' and zigzagging along. From afar, safely away from that dangerous place called Thailand."

Is that why you oppose it?

• Like 2

good point

What is most notable about your post rubl, is that you in no way address what tbthailand wrote. You just offer sarcasm and once again go on about Thaksin the criminal fugitive (charged by the last military junta and convicted under the government installed by that junta). How many generals would be criminal fugitives if they didn't allow themselves to rewrite constitutions and grant themselves immunity?

I think tbthailand's 'Democracy lesson 1' is the finest post on this entire thread. Although I don't think it is completely true, if I remember correctly Costa Rica is a democracy without a military. Maybe Thailand should try that, democracy Costa Rica style.

I tend to ignore questions which are off topic, loaded, or simply meant to distract or divert. Also I vaguely remember that I am under no 'democratic' obligation to answer questions like that.

As such tbthailand's lesson in democracy is a good example of how democratic principles can be used and abused by those who don't care about democracy but only about their program of obfuscation and distraction.

"I tend to ignore questions which are off topic, loaded, or simply meant to distract or divert."

And then you post stuff that is off-topic, loaded, and simply meant to distract or divert, like your above post.

• Like 2

A passing of the torch.

Now you know.

I don't know about the "shunning". It's possible.

But with the new 'PM' and his Prem-esque shirts, it is clear whose shoes he wants to step into. :)

• Like 1

Why do you suggest I oppose democracy ? It would seem you do, as you seem to dislike me posting

"I tend to ignore questions which are off topic, loaded, or simply meant to distract or divert."

And then you post stuff that is off-topic, loaded, and simply meant to distract or divert, like your above post.

So, anything you disagree with without being able to say more than 'incorrect' or 'distract/diverting', shouldn't be posted?

Thanks for the lesson in democracy

A passing of the torch.

Now you know.

I don't know about the "shunning". It's possible.

But with the new 'PM' and his Prem-esque shirts, it is clear whose shoes he wants to step into. smile.png

Prem-esque?

You show your ignorance apart from a somewhat hilareous bias.

post-58-0-52727200-1412503548_thumb.jpg

Why do you suggest I oppose democracy ? It would seem you do, as you seem to dislike me posting

If you believe that "the coup was necessary", then that means you support it. Military coups are incompatible with democracy, so therefore you oppose democracy.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

If you believe that "the coup was necessary", then that means you support it. Military coups are incompatible with democracy, so therefore you oppose democracy.

Logic is not your strongest point I guess.

I think the coup was an unfortunate necessity due to lack of a proper function democracy and due to lack of respect for a democracy as shown by political parties and protest groups.

I think the coup was an unfortunate necessity due to lack of a proper function democracy and due to lack of respect for a democracy as shown by political parties and protest groups.

Really? I'm flabbergasted. You just repeat what you read in The Nation. You haven't done your homework.

You have no idea of why there was a coup.

Actually this is a very interesting time in Thai history. You should read the stuff that is banned to get a balanced view.

Just another example of somebody that reads The Nation and believes that crap they print.

• Like 2

Really? I'm flabbergasted. You just repeat what you read in The Nation. You haven't done your homework.

Actually this is a very interesting time in Thai history. You should read the stuff that is banned to get a balanced view.

Just another example of somebody that reads The Nation and believes that crap they print.

I just repeat what I read in theNation? Pray tell me when I did that?

Furthermore since I live and work in Thailand I will not pick up your suggestion of reading all the stuff which is banned. To even suggest I do so, is like suggesting I break the local laws. You seem to be trying to get me either jailed or deported or maybe both.

BTW the wikileaks which I can read from my Thai internet connection (or at least could, didn't check for a while) all suggested the coin had two sides and even some writing on the rim. That's why sometimes I (almost) jokingly say that the UN should move in for ten years.

Edited by rubl

Furthermore since I live and work in Thailand I will not pick up your suggestion of reading all the stuff which is banned. To even suggest I do so, is like suggesting I break the local laws. You seem to be trying to get me either jailed or deported or maybe both.

BTW the wikileaks which I can read from my Thai internet connection (or at least could, didn't check for a while) all suggested the coin had two sides and even some writing on the rim. That's why sometimes I (almost) jokingly say that the UN should move in for ten years.

OK. Your not stupid. Just haven't read up. Thats fair. It's not worth going to jail just to be educated so you can add intelligent comments to the discussion.

This is Thailand. Just play dumb and keep your head low.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

OK. Your not stupid. Just haven't read up. Thats fair. It's not worth going to jail just to be educated so you can add intelligent comments to the discussion.

This is Thailand. Just play dumb and keep your head low.

That's your side of the coin.

BTW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments

PS The part I quote only has the last two posts, but complete (I think). I removed the upper part as some post headers were missing and it looked like all was from me.

Interesting link. Thanks.

"Press Freedom Index-

"2004 Thailand ranked 59th out of 167 countries during the Thaksin Government."

"2010 Thailand's ranking fell to 153rd out of 178 during the Abasit Government."

So the index dropped almost 100 points durning Abasits term. WHOA!

And It's got to be much worse now.

No wonder you have no idea of what's really going on here.

If those numbers are true the Thai newspapers are complete BS.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

Interesting link. Thanks.

"Press Freedom Index-

"2004 Thailand ranked 59th out of 167 countries during the Thaksin Government."

"2010 Thailand's ranking fell to 153rd out of 178 during the Abasit Government."

So the index dropped almost 100 points durning Abasits term. WHOA!

And It's got to be much worse now.

No wonder you have no idea of what's really going on here.

If those numbers are true the Thai newspapers are complete BS.

Your post is somewhat suggestive.

Anyway, the manipulation of data is another lesson in democracy.

BTW the latest information "Thailand 2014", but reflecting data collected over 2013.

http://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2014/thailand-0#.VDFLxTbGmCg

Then there is the Stanford university's study which finds that:

Despite the seemingly strong empirical support in
previous studies for theories of majoritarian democracy,
our analyses suggest that majorities of the American
public actually have little influence over the policies our
government adopts. Americans do enjoy many features
central to democratic governance, such as regular elections,
freedom of speech and association, and a widespread
(if still contested) franchise. But we believe that if
policymaking is dominated by powerful business organizations
and a small number of affluent Americans, then
America’s claims to being a democratic society are seriously
threatened.

..... which is much closer to the Thai model anyway, isn't it?

• Like 1