I left my ATM card in machine ---AGAIN

After having this happen three times, I cut down some paper envelopes to fit ATM and credit cards. Now, when I use an ATM I take the envelope out of my wallett, take the card out of the envelope and hold onto the envelope until the transaction is complete. Sometimes I catch myself walking away from the ATM with the empty envelope still in my hand. Many times, this has saved me from loosing cards.

I purchased a wallet, it acts just like your cut down paper envelope.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just go to BKK bank and pay for a new card 100 baht. No need for police report as they cancel the old card

Yes roath--very easy If you have a Thai card---impossible for me as I use my N.Z Visa to draw out cash--But I will learn someday whistling.gif

AND --to whom it concerns---I am not brain dead--just on holiday-- and not used to the system wai2.gif

yes quite right. forgot that wouldnt be as simple for non thai bank card users. if here regularly well worth getting one for cost for a single transaction on western atm card
  • Like 1

Thailand is the norm. I have travelled all over the world and i have never, ever seen a ATM that dispenses the cash after it ejects the card.

Having worked in a UK bank for 20 plus years I can tell you the ATMs there return the card before dispensing the cash. I noticed the difference after having left my card in an ATM in Bangkok, not long after arriving here 14 years ago.

• Like 2

I did this once. But that was a couple of years ago and it was at a 7/11.

I asked the clerk inside and she told me to call a number and let them know what happened. She also said that it happens quite a bit and so I called. The woman on the phone was very nice and said that someone would come out and help me. Maybe it was because I speak Thai, but the guy came out, eventually, opened the machine and retrieved my card for me. Sure it cost me a few Baht, but hell... one has to pay for one's mistakes.

What was even better was that the tech guy found a skimmer that had broken over the card slot. He said that it looked like it had been there for a while and just wore out. The Plod were called and did their 'thing'....went shopping in the store of course... 555! But best of all I got my card back and there were no charges on it. Seems that opening the machine and the tech guys fiddling erased the record of my withdrawal. I checked for weeks (because of the skimmer issue) but nope... I was 3000Bht richer! You have to love Thailand!

Anyway, I do not know if they still do this, but well worth asking I figure.

Thailand is the norm. I have travelled all over the world and i have never, ever seen a ATM that dispenses the cash after it ejects the card.

Having worked in a UK bank for 20 plus years I can tell you the ATMs there return the card before dispensing the cash. I noticed the difference after having left my card in an ATM in Bangkok, not long after arriving here 14 years ago.

Just for interest--what does your home country do--or any country you are 100% sure---

Card or Cash first ---???

I'll start ------------N.Z Card First thumbsup.gif

A mate of mine who was involved in programming the original NCR cash machines told me if you don't take the money out - it will suck it back in and credit your account. I did it once and he's right. I haven't noticed about cash first then card (normally in Europe you take your card then cash) but I suppose the "Anything else you need?" question after you've taken the cash out would facilitate holding the card inside - and I would imagine that the cash machine was programmed to suck it back in if it wan;t taken after a "reasonable" time for bank staff to retrieve it and send it on.

Apparently when they were developing the software the office they were using was closed down on Friday and they still hadn't finished so they decamped to an apartment they were using, with cash machines, server and network equipment and set it all up in the flat and finished off the coding over the weekend (deadlines). One cash machine was on the dining table, the kitchen had the server and the other cash machine was in the bedroom. Network switch in the hall. With lots of pizza everywhere. I can imagine the scene.

Card-then-cash is definitely the most common approach in my experience as well. ATMs in the US used to frequently do cash-then-card, but over the last 3-5 years or so I've seen mostly card-then-cash. I think the behavior is largely dependent on the manufacturer and not the bank or the country it's deployed in -- Diebold is a big manufacturer and their ATMs frequently did the cash-then-card in the US. In Europe I can't remember when I saw that last. From a man-machine interface design point of view, card-then-cash is definitely the preferred approach since the user's goal is to retrieve cash, i.e. the interface can dictate behavior until the user has reached their goal, but after that point the error rate goes way up. Although swipe-based patterns solve this problem, they are so insecure they are non-starters in my book.

• Like 1