Abuse of the Queen's English

pendingo

What is it with people who insist on typing or writing "would of", "could of" or "should of" in a sentence when commenting on Thai Visa, Facebook, Twitter or in newspapers or when writing a blog.

How hard is it to write or type "would've", "could've" or "should've" or "would have", "could have", and "should have"?

Call me old-fashioned, OCD or tell me to get a life if you like but it irritates the hell out of me.

It seems to be the new fashion which has taken over from split infinitives and don't get me started on that!!

By the way I didn't go to a posh school i.e. public school or grammar school just a bog standard state secondary school which had some excellent teachers who cared about their profession and their pupils.

Today's misuse and misspelling of written and spoken English language speaks volumes about the current education system in the UK.

Is there anyone else on here who feels the same way?

• Like 2

There are all sorts of grammatic errors. People that can't read a full stop or comma.

The phrase "Let's eat, Grandma" becomes "Let's eat Grandma". And then they want to abuse you for eating your Grandma. Idiots.

Amuses me too.

Members here are from different nationalities, not all are fluent in the use of the "Queen's English", from the forum rules:

While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, l33tspeak, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.

Grammar police topic now closed.

• Like 1