Why do we pay car insurance if we still have to pay anything even when not guilty ?

thairastawoman

Hello,

I read this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757637-what-use-is-car-insurance

and would really like to understand why the police or victims (responsible monkeys without driving license !!!) even dare to ask any cash payment ?

Can we stand on our ground and just ignore all these retarded, then pay nothing ?

I pay first class insurance and don't want to have to even speak to any stupid ! And even if I was responsible !

What is your experience ?

Thank you for reply, but this sentence is funny :-) "he didn't realize he should have looked behind him before opening the passenger door", REALLY YOU NEED TO DRIVE TO KNOW THAT, IT'S NOT JUST COMMON SENSE, EVEN IN US ? 555+

Yes, I know that First class insurance pays for all but many people with first class insurance are still asked to pay for victim, even guilty victim, so this is the real point of this tread.

"many people with first class insurance are still asked to pay for victim"

Is this from personal experience or just what you "heard?" Like NancyL, I've had no problems with A1 (1st class) insurance. Never paid a dime, the insurance company always handled it all. Granted, I've only been involved in relatively minor accidents (mostly with motorbikes), but the insurance company always paid for the repairs.

Now if one was at fault and the cost exceeded what the A1 would pay, I'd imagine the victim may request money. But I can't imagine a situation where you'd have to pay if you were not at fault.

Thank you for explaining theory that everybody knows when this forum is FULL of stories of people who have been asked money when not guilty at all !

Please remember that bikes with no insurance are going to scratch your car from time to time.

Better to let them go and suffer the loss instead of wasting hours in the Cop Shop.

Thank you for reply, but this sentence is funny :-) "he didn't realize he should have looked behind him before opening the passenger door", REALLY YOU NEED TO DRIVE TO KNOW THAT, IT'S NOT JUST COMMON SENSE, EVEN IN US ? 555+

Yes, I know that First class insurance pays for all but many people with first class insurance are still asked to pay for victim, even guilty victim, so this is the real point of this tread.

Is this from personal experience or just what you "heard?" Like NancyL, I've had no problems with A1 (1st class) insurance. Never paid a dime, the insurance company always handled it all. Granted, I've only been involved in relatively minor accidents (mostly with motorbikes), but the insurance company always paid for the repairs.

Now if one was at fault and the cost exceeded what the A1 would pay, I'd imagine the victim may request money. But I can't imagine a situation where you'd have to pay if you were not at fault.

As it was not my fault when this happened I refused and just said sort it out with the insurers end of!
  • Like 1

facepalm.gifwai2.gif

His point is that many people believe the smaller vehicle is always right/ the farang always pays/ the poor person always pays with a 'hi-so' in a 20 year old 200 k Mercedes etc etc is true. Or that people don't stand up for themselves / give their passport to anyone that asks.

• Like 2

Actually I've got to admit Hubby was really "at fault" in being an idiot in opening the car door into the soi without looking to see if there was on-coming traffic, yet the A-1 insurance paid for his stupid mistake (gosh, I hope he isn't reading this --- I've had a couple glasses of wine, honey) Anyway, my point is that the insurance here seems pretty darn good. I don't really know what the OP's point is.

Don't see anything wrong with telling it like it is, I do it all the time, some with delicate sensitivities can't handle it but that's really their problem not mine, of course it was your hubby's fault, that's undeniable, though as you say he may not appreciate you mentioning it that way in your case..

The OP's point is; Just because your hubby doesn't drive is no reason not to have learned decades ago, most likely as a child, that one must look before opening doors into oncoming traffic.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

We have somebody asking a question: accident, wife says not guilty, insurance company says won't pay 3rd party because not guilty, lawyer says no reason to pay.

So why the question here: why do we have to pay? This thread really does not make sense.

Now in the original thread, if it later becomes clear she was at fault the insurance company will pay, if not they will not and neither should that OP or his wife.

It all really is not that difficult.

Just a note for the OP who is referencing a post I made in the Ask The Lawyer section.

Yes, despite having A1 insurance and being deemed not at fault in the eyes of said insurer, there is no guarantee that one will not be pursued for cash payments by the police or people working on behalf of any alleged 'victims'. This is based on fresh and personal experience.

Leave it to the insurer to handle and move on (and change your phone number).

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Thank you for explaining theory that everybody knows when this forum is FULL of stories of people who have been asked money when not guilty at all !

Please remember that bikes with no insurance are going to scratch your car from time to time.

Better to let them go and suffer the loss instead of wasting hours in the Cop Shop.

Two times a bike has scratched me - both times they drove off. No point to chase them, and they may not want problems if they don't have money / unlicenced / unregistered bike, etc. I have first class, and they just pay for it. Last time I got half of my car sprayed for little scratches. Very little excess to pay. I've probably had more done on my car through insurance than what I wold have had to pay out of pocket. Don't know how insurance companies make money herelaugh.png

• Like 1

We have somebody asking a question: accident, wife says not guilty, insurance company says won't pay 3rd party because not guilty, lawyer says no reason to pay.

So why the question here: why do we have to pay? This thread really does not make sense.

Now in the original thread, if it later becomes clear she was at fault the insurance company will pay, if not they will not and neither should that OP or his wife.

We are so lucky to have you and your dreams here, now everything is clear thanks to you <3

Whish you that things goes how you dream when accident happens..

• Like 1

Just a note for the OP who is referencing a post I made in the Ask The Lawyer section.

Yes, despite having A1 insurance and being deemed not at fault in the eyes of said insurer, there is no guarantee that one will not be pursued for cash payments by the police or people working on behalf of any alleged 'victims'. This is based on fresh and personal experience.

Leave it to the insurer to handle and move on (and change your phone number).

Yes, but the morons know better than us and this situation NEVER happens !!!

These people talking about what they don't know are just ridiculous...

Two times a bike has scratched me - both times they drove off. No point to chase them, and they may not want problems if they don't have money / unlicenced / unregistered bike, etc. I have first class, and they just pay for it. Last time I got half of my car sprayed for little scratches. Very little excess to pay. I've probably had more done on my car through insurance than what I wold have had to pay out of pocket. Don't know how insurance companies make money herelaugh.png

You will know soon how they make money, next year your insurance premium will be higher.

• Like 1

We are so lucky to have you and your dreams here, now everything is clear thanks to you <3

Whish you that things goes how you dream when accident happens..

Unfortunately I have been in a few accidents. Always had the insurance guy sort things out, and never experienced any problems.

Take into account though that in Thailand certain things in general are not covered on insurance, so if you're liable for an accident you'll have to pay for that. E.g. rental of a vehicle while the 3rd party's vehicle is being repaired.

• Like 1

I have ran into incidences like this before, even if its not your fault sometimes the police or victim will ask for small compensation simply because they see that you are more well off, for me this only involves accidents with motorcycles. They ask out of "compassion", sometimes you know it just bs and they are trying to cut the loss on their end.

I did give 1000 baht to a somchai riding a bike who ran into my car when I was turning. He did not ask for it but he did apologize profusely as he knows it was his fault and probably didn't have any insurance. He was scratched up pretty bad when he took the fall with some minor damage to his bike, my car had a small scratch on the bumper which wasn't all that noticeable. I had my insurance cover it later when I brought the car to the dealer and had the dealer ring up my insurance. If that somchai was a dick, I would not have given him a single satang.

There was this one time when a rock hit my windshield while I was driving on the road, it left a small chip and the next day the windshield started to crack a bit. Brought the car to the dealer, the service guy helped me get in touch with the insurance and sort things out. Funny thing is that I told the service guy where the accident happened, but they said I need to change the road I report because the insurance company don't believe it could have happened at that road, so we had to a pick a road where more 10 wheeler trucks travel. I did not have to call the insurance myself, only drop the car off at the dealer.

What I love about the insurance here is how they are pretty good with working along side dealers as well. They will go to the dealer and take pictures, and just give you a ring to confirm when where and how the accident happen. Dealer takes care of the rest for you but they do always try to up sell you on a service that needs to be done for your car.

First class insurance is incredible. I crunched my door on a post and took the car in. The dealer found other places where I had been hit and there were scratches. They fixed it all, even where a cat had scratched the car and left marks. All of it paid for by the insurance company. No deductible. Didn't cost me a baht.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

An oncoming vehicle a little too far to his right caused me to pull left a bit and I clipped a motorbike that had been parked 1/4 into the road, as the owner used a call box.

It soon became apparent that I was responsible for all the newly discovered defects on this ancient rusty machine that I had barely touched.

At this point the I refused to deal with the owner, his sister who had turned up, and a small crowd who seemed to think this a good opportunity.

Fortunately the insurance representative arrived and I stepped out of the picture

More fortunately the police never did.

You have to appreciate that this type of incident is seen as an opportunity for local people and police to make money, either yours or the insurance company's.

Even if it is their fault.

• Like 2

Just in the past few years vehicles I own have been damaged 6 times - most were our fault one was hit and run.

1) My wife had a legit accident with another car. Front bumper was dented and headlights broken. 100% her fault. Insurance company met on site to take photos of both cars, etc. and fixed both.

2) I pulling into our house hit our motorbike and put tiny dent in front, I wasn't going to bother fixing it but my wife was like no that's why we pay insurance it is no more cost.

3) my wife backing out hit neighbors motorbike and made a tiny dent, same deal. was super minor but we still got it fixed with insurance company.

4) I was driving in heavy rain in the city and hit a high curve I didn't know was there. Cracked the side skirt add on we had purchased with the car new.

5) I was driving on dirt road lost and road was brutal. End up stuck in mud. In getting out, went over a dirt hill and side skirt got all banged, small crack and was hanging.

6) Had a huge truck graze our review mirror on express way cracking the casing and shattering the mirror, he never stopped.

All six times it was fixed by insurance company with no added cost. We have a 2011 Honda Jazz, purchased new in early 2011. Have never paid more than 20,000 baht per year for insurance for that (think it was 17,XXX this past year). I have no idea if is a good or bad deal or not, but seems good to me. I think it covers everything, we know the sales agent well who claims it is lowest rate he can give and I'm not one to haggle much about price enough to bother to find out. Plus he's great in arranging all the repairs too as is the office staff.

• Like 1