Going for a ride on my push bike and 5 dogs blocking the way

ghworker2010

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get close to them, reach down suddenly as if to pick something up, they'll run fast enough. Option 2, carry a large stick and wave it around at them, same result. Thai dogs are all noise and no go, even in packs.

An estimated 31,000 human deaths occur annually from rabies in Asia. As of 2007, Vietnam had the second-highest rate, followed by Thailand; in these countries, the virus is primarily transmitted through canines (feral dogs and other wild canine species)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_rabies

So your point is?

Those deaths via rabies are deaths, I would imagine, of indigenous people, people who do not understand the risks and don't have the money to fund treatment, the OP is in neither category. None of which has anything to do with picking up stones or carrying a large stick, jeeze, if it's that much of a worry, stop riding the bike!

" I kept quiet and stood my ground for a minute or so at one point. "

By standing your ground until the dogs calmed down you've already started the best process to handle the situation. Continue to do this each time you encounter them and you will find that the duration of the interaction gets less and less.

Just stand in an at-ease pose, relax, and do not make direct eye contact. You want to communicate calm assertiveness. The dogs will usually calm down within 2 or 3 minutes.

It can be a little disconcerting if you are doing this with a pack of dogs because they will encircle you. But you should easily be able to figure out which one is the pack leader. That's really the only one you need to pay any attention. Wait until the leader shows some sign of submission before.

If you do it right, you'll find it won't take many encounters before they accept you. You don't need to bribe them with food, which may not work anyway, and you certainly don't need to harm them in anyway.

One final thought, since you want them to accept you on your bike you need to include it in the equation. The first few encounters, I would completely dismount and stand in front of the bike, or at least to the side. As things progressed, on later encounters I would stop but not completely dismount, just stand straddling the bike instead.

• Like 1

When you get close to them, reach down suddenly as if to pick something up, they'll run fast enough. Option 2, carry a large stick and wave it around at them, same result. Thai dogs are all noise and no go, even in packs.

An estimated 31,000 human deaths occur annually from rabies in Asia. As of 2007, Vietnam had the second-highest rate, followed by Thailand; in these countries, the virus is primarily transmitted through canines (feral dogs and other wild canine species)

So your point is?

Those deaths via rabies are deaths, I would imagine, of indigenous people, people who do not understand the risks and don't have the money to fund treatment, the OP is in neither category. None of which has anything to do with picking up stones or carrying a large stick, jeeze, if it's that much of a worry, stop riding the bike!

My point is soi dogs bite. I know I have one. You wrote, "Thai dogs are all noise and no go, even in packs." That is not correct.

• Like 1

As the dogs start to bark,, you bark louder and be the dominant dog.

If they bite you then the trouble is far worse than avoiding them, as

you know many dogs are not cared for so might carry diseases,,

bark loud, bark really really loud, then run for it.

So your point is?

My point is soi dogs bite. I know I have one. You wrote, "Thai dogs are all noise and no go, even in packs." That is not correct.

I've been around dogs all my life and one thing I know to be true is that dogs only bite people who are scared and/or if they are cornered and/or in pain.

• Like 1

chiang mai, on 29 Sept 2014 - 18:01, said:
MediaWatcher, on 29 Sept 2014 - 17:47, said:
AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:

Ammonia or bleach in a squirt bottle.

They soon learn.

Or a STRONG lemon juice/water mix, or you could go and buy one of those electronic cattle prods.

Why mess around when AK47's are available, jesus, they're only dogs for goodness sake!

Oh dear, a fool in every crowd....

get yourself a big strong dog and then enjoy every minute of your bike tour.....

Used to take a walk passing one of these f**ng monk monastery's and a whole bunch of dogs came running, barking...... until they they realized I had three big ones........ The abbot complained (as they always do when they cannot screw money out of people) about the bad farang walking around with three baaad dogs and wearing no shirt. The best part is my favorit dog, the worlds nicest papa dog, loving people,was pumping himself, wagging the tail and happilly looking forward......

and myself waving happilly to the abbot and monks.

chiang mai wrote:

I've been around dogs all my life and one thing I know to be true is that dogs only bite people who are scared and/or if they are cornered and/or in pain.

reply:

Oh dear, you haven't learnt well then....dogs also bite because they are protecting their pack, their resting place, their food or possessions, their master and or his property, they are old and grumpy or they could be a herding animal.

• Like 2

get yourself a big strong dog and then enjoy every minute of your bike tour.....
Used to take a walk passing one of these f**ng monk monastery's and a whole bunch of dogs came running, barking...... until they they realized I had three big ones........ The abbot complained (as they always do when they cannot screw money out of people) about the bad farang walking around with three baaad dogs and wearing no shirt. The best part is my favorit dog, the worlds nicest papa dog, loving people,was pumping himself, wagging the tail and happilly looking forward......
and myself waving happilly to the abbot and monks.

Sorry forgot to add,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thai dogs are normally much more friendlier than the dogs you are used to, never been attacked by any . They bark, make noise but no more.

Take the biggest one home, feed it and you get yourself a friend for life

People like you are dangerous pushing your home spun wisdom as fact and some other person with no experience in Thailand believes you.

Every year in the United States, 800,000 dog bites are severe enough to need medical treatment.

Dogs bite because

Dominance aggression

Protection of valuables

Fear aggression

Maternal aggression

Redirected aggression

Pain-induced aggression

Pestered beyond limits

https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-problems/why-dogs-bite/

• Like 1

Had a similar problem. Take a big stick , umbrela etc When you come accross them get off your bike, raise your stick and run aggresively towards them, shouting if need be. They will scarper. Repeat as needed.

After acting like a madmen, the dogs I had a problem with would give me a wide berth whenever they saw me.

This advice applies to 'Thai dogs'. I'm not sure I would so the same with a pack of Rottweilers.

call Natalie G ebola or something....that old miss universe that was kicked out of a marriage by the thai tenniss guy...panadol or something. I believe she is some kind of mascot for the Soi Dog rescue or something and that they deal with things like this. Search online I am sure you will find her contacts somewhere.

Well I'm not an Educated Kentucky Hillbilly, but close to it, Only problem I see is your PUSHING the Fricken bike......555555 Must be one of them British things...

Us folks, from the hills we ride the bike, and pedal it to, saves a lot of walking and pushing.cheesy.gif Sorry to take the piss, but its a slow day at work..

Most soi dogs are afraid of the lonely farang , the only weapon they know how to use are barking. So its easy to scare them away . Not many stories about farangs ever being bitten by one of them so I don't think you have to worry . I would just wave with a stick and they will run like chickens.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

get cesor milan on the case,,

the dog whisperer

My thoughts exactly.

We got suggestions from AK47's to food, I think both methods will work but the first one is brutal and the police will not like it, to put it mildly.

I never ride push bikes but scooter and sometimes having dogs having a go at me, I twist the throttle and are out of there.

Look what I found below, Quote:

Dear Greg,

This is the hardest lesson for me to teach anybody, but it's an important one for people to learn.

The first thing I try to remember if a strange dog is acting aggressively toward me is to not take it personally. I don't feed any fear in me, or anxiety; I get very calm. Believe it or not, what will be instrumental in blocking the animal from attacking you is for you to be calm and unafraid. An aggressive dog wants you under stress before it attacks. If you are calm and in control of yourself, it slows them down and throws them off.

Once I have asserted myself, I claim my own space. Often, I use a walking stick, an umbrella, or anything I happen to be carrying and place it out in front of me, so I make myself appear bigger and feel more in command of my space. What I am saying with my body language is, I don't want the dog's space; I don't want that tree over there, I just want this space that I am standing in. Again, I am maintaining a very calm and assertive state. That energy creates a barrier that automatically demands his respect. I'm letting him know that I'm not afraid of him.

As you can see, this is a hard concept to teach. It's best to be with someone who can do it to understand what it looks like and what it feels like. Most people can't imagine that, in many situations, you can stop an aggressive dog by not moving and not being afraid, but I do it all the time with a whole pack of dogs. It can be taught to children more easily than it can be taught to adults, because when taught young, it becomes something ingrained in us. Once a person is an adult, the difficulty isn't in training them – it's in the process of un-training them.

I hope this helps a bit! Just keep in mind these four important words:

Stay calm and assertive,

Cesar Millan

Excuse my naivety, but where in h*ll did this term "push bike" come from?

The whole world understands what a bicycle is. When you say "push bike"

it sounds like it has no pedals -- only frame, wheels and seat.

Not to be confused with a pull-bike which is much harder work.

cheesy.gif

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

get cesor milan on the case,,

the dog whisperer

My thoughts exactly.

We got suggestions from AK47's to food, I think both methods will work but the first one is brutal and the police will not like it, to put it mildly.

I never ride push bikes but scooter and sometimes having dogs having a go at me, I twist the throttle and are out of there.

Look what I found below, Quote:

Dear Greg,

This is the hardest lesson for me to teach anybody, but it's an important one for people to learn.

The first thing I try to remember if a strange dog is acting aggressively toward me is to not take it personally. I don't feed any fear in me, or anxiety; I get very calm. Believe it or not, what will be instrumental in blocking the animal from attacking you is for you to be calm and unafraid. An aggressive dog wants you under stress before it attacks. If you are calm and in control of yourself, it slows them down and throws them off.

Once I have asserted myself, I claim my own space. Often, I use a walking stick, an umbrella, or anything I happen to be carrying and place it out in front of me, so I make myself appear bigger and feel more in command of my space. What I am saying with my body language is, I don't want the dog's space; I don't want that tree over there, I just want this space that I am standing in. Again, I am maintaining a very calm and assertive state. That energy creates a barrier that automatically demands his respect. I'm letting him know that I'm not afraid of him.

As you can see, this is a hard concept to teach. It's best to be with someone who can do it to understand what it looks like and what it feels like. Most people can't imagine that, in many situations, you can stop an aggressive dog by not moving and not being afraid, but I do it all the time with a whole pack of dogs. It can be taught to children more easily than it can be taught to adults, because when taught young, it becomes something ingrained in us. Once a person is an adult, the difficulty isn't in training them – it's in the process of un-training them.

I hope this helps a bit! Just keep in mind these four important words:

Stay calm and assertive,

Cesar Millan

Watch how it works. Cesar and dog.