Going for a ride on my push bike and 5 dogs blocking the way

ghworker2010

Excuse my naivety, but where in h*ll did this term "push bike" come from?

The whole world understands what a bicycle is. When you say "push bike"

it sounds like it has no pedals -- only frame, wheels and seat.

Must be one of the older models...huh? I think they just recently invented the wheel over in his home country, and the whole thing with chains, pedals and gears has not yet developed.

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the same place that surplus shipping pallete with a rag on it that you have you avatar came from.smile.png

• Like 1

Push bike is a British English term for a bicycle.

LOL.... maybe a broken bicycle?

I guess the term is to differentiate from a MOTORbike.

The logic being that you have to PUSH with your legs rather than a motor doing the work.

You could use the term bicycle but that would be 3 syllables rather than 2 and not as easy to say.

• Like 1

The logic being that you have to PUSH with your legs rather than a motor doing the work.

You could use the term bicycle but that would be 3 syllables rather than 2 and not as easy to say.

Correct. You push the pedals hence a push bike. Not too hard to work out or so I thought...

I remember as a kid I used to $hit myself every time I cycled past a house whose owner had a large Alsatian that was always left to roam the garden and the gate was always left open. You never knew if the dog was going to be out and would give chase barking at you. It was worse at night when you couldn't see him coming. One morning waiting for the school bus there was a screech of tyres and a yelp. We all ran round the corner to find the post man had run over the dog. I like dogs in general but it was a good feeling to be able to bike past the house without fear of being chased. I hope the selfish irresponsible <deleted> that owned the dog learned a lesson.

I'm not sure what to do about your dilemma. As some have suggested, you could throw a few treats which may condition the dogs into recognising you as being friendly but on the other hand they may just hound you all the more as they think you are a reliable source of food.

Good luck

The term push bike IS correct , i lived 20 miles from where the first push bike was invented....Scotland.

Yes you pushed them with your feet like a brisk walk on the ground......pedals came later...

I think it's quite an old fashioned term but definitely correct as in the world famous " Pushbike Song" by Australian band The Mixtures and released in 1970. I'm pretty sure The Wurzels did a cover too.

SDM.

• Like 1

I carry a yo-yo I bought as a kid in Benidorm, it lights up green and purple when you start yo-yo'ing.

I find it kind of hypnotizes them you can swing it towards them too and they back off, it's always worked for me with soi dogs, I take it out every night.

Might not work so well in the day though, never really tried it in daylight.

If that doesn't appeal to you take a deck of cards out and do a few card tricks.

• Like 1

You don't watch The Dog Whisperer? Cesar Millan would say, "You need to be the pack leader". Take control and be calm assertive. I assume we are talking village or soi dogs. Not a pack of trained rotties.

Any one of the humane deterrents above will work, I think I like the vinegar the best, it will irritate but not hurt the dogs. Being a cruel bastard is loathsome and not necessary. The main thing is stand up to them and be the boss. I would ride in really slowly and let them approach and then spray away but still stay there until they have buggered off, then ride confidently away.

Edit to use Cesar's correct term, "calm assertive"

Edited by sfbandung

Ok.... so 3 syllables are now just too difficult for all of you?

Ok.... so 3 syllables are now just too difficult for all of you?

No. Just easier.

Another example would be that it's easier to say WORLD WIDE WEB than DOUBLE-U DOUBLE-U DOUBLE-U.

City hall, LOL. I'd carry some pieces of dry dog food and throw it in a scattering pattern as they approached. Soon they'll learn and look for the food and won't be after you personally any more.

I could tell you some mean things to do to get rid of them but life is too short. Be happy.

City hall...it depends on which city. In Pattaya the health department is happy to help with nuisance dogs. @NeverSure I do hope you collect and dispose of properly the waste matter from these dogs that you give food to. Or are you another matter for the Health Department to deal with.

throw them some nice juicy bones laced with cyanide ,that will keep them busy whilst you ride by and never bother you again .

this is a once and for all solution .

Unfortunately not true. There are always plenty more to replace those lost.

Newly built soi that never had dogs on the loose now has two. Waste land that never had dogs is now a building site and labor camp and has 3 vicious dogs protecting it.

Where humans congregate dogs do to if those humans are stupid enough to feed them. Stop the feeding and the dogs will stop too.

Is this a push bike? (Click to enlarge)

post-169174-0-72660000-1412050043_thumb.

Edited by BradinAsia
  • Like 1

You might consider purchasing an armored suit and wear it under your clothes including long trousers. Just ride past them slow enough that one can get a good bite into your leg and he'll soon be warning the others not to do same as most of his teeth fall by the roadside. If the message hasn't by then gotten across to the rest of

the pack just step off your bike and let them have a go at you. You'll come out the victor and soon garner

respect from all the local dogs as they convey the tale to their cohorts. You might even consider becoming a

dealer for armored wear and the tattered clothes can be sold in vintage clothing shops for a nice profit!

Basically, what I'm trying to tell you is, you have to be clever to get by in this world. Good 'pushing'.

Oops, 'pedaling'!

YOU CANT REASON WITH MEAN CURS theres only 1 solution 3 feet under for the mutt ,THE FINAL SOLUTION IS REQUIRED !

IF YAI CAN ARRANGE TO HAVE A HUMAN BUMPED OFF FOR 5000 BAHTS THEN A DOG/S SHOULD BE A LOT CHEAPER

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT MANY WILL HAVE RABIES ON BOARD TO PASS ON TO YOU FOR FREE

Edited by 3NUMBAS

YOU CANT REASON WITH MEAN CURS theres only 1 solution 3 feet under for the mutt ,THE FINAL SOLUTION IS REQUIRED !

IF YAI CAN ARRANGE TO HAVE A HUMAN BUMPED OFF FOR 5000 BAHTS THEN A DOG/S SHOULD BE A LOT CHEAPER

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT MANY WILL HAVE RABIES ON BOARD TO PASS ON TO YOU FOR FREE

Maybe some thai restaurant owners who are sick of "mean cur" falangs will take your advice and sprinkle a bit of rat poison in the soup.

Maybe some thai restaurant owners who are sick of "mean cur" falangs will take your advice and sprinkle a bit of rat poison in the soup.

Justice served for poisoned dogs, 73 year old sentenced to 9.5 years in prison