Wine Connection, Promenada

beau thai

Having criticised them in their early days I guess I should put the record straight.

We enjoyed a very tasty late lunch there last week and it was excellent value.

They have a promo until 6pm of any pizza or any pasta, including a large coca cola or similar, for 149 baht. That includes their highest price pizza and pasta at 230 baht each . .And very good they were too.

While browsing the wines and pastries waiting (not long) for our meal, I spotted a large creme brulee. Irresistible even though our meal was really enough. Very rich and one was plenty for 2 people and only 90 baht. Not easy to make it for that price, given that it is 90% cream.

And service was very good too- interesting to see the manager also clearing tables even though they were not busy. Message to his team I suppose.

Will definitely go back.

This is THE place for our family. Normally every one has their favourite place but going to Wine Connection every one agrees easily.

The two small kids love the Wine Connection Pizzas, in their opinion the Capricciosa is the best one what they can get in Chiang Mai. The oldest one prefer the pasta with salmon.

Most of the time we go around 5p.m. in order to get the promotion for Pizza or Pasta and coke or ice tea for B149+

And my wife loves the Paella, big seafood topping and yummy rice.

Me however I like the beef tenderloin; must be imported as it is always soft and tasty, not same the local one. A plus is also the draft beer from Belgium.

Given your commendation I might give them a try again. Gave up with them in the past for the microwave tasteless food servings.

Wife & I went for 1st time yesterday

It is a very nice place...comfortable,clean etc

Food we found basically as you describe & would not go again.

I am sure it is fine for many but for us I think we prefer places like Ragu's or Mama Mia's

We both had the 149 special deal I had the Salami pizza

I know I should have sent it back but truthfully I have never sent anything back in

my life at any restaurant.

The reason is there was something wrong with the salami.

I am thinking it was spoiled Very strong odor & not good.

While I am no Salami expert I have eaten it many times & it never smelled like this.

I ate a piece or two thinking maybe it is some kind of aged Salami? But no I am

quite sure it was bad. So took it off a couple more pieces & ate those pizza slices without but did not finish the small

flat-bread like pizza.

Wife had the Spaghetti Bolognese which was ok....But not what we would order again

Perhaps ground beef is not high quality but lots of the orange/clear type oil because of it.

What you said about microwave tasteless is what I think the case may be here.

There is no way this food is cooked per order as it arrives 1 minute after you order it.

So sorry but I have to give it a thumbs down. Not to say it is not a lovely place & the

deserts looked great. Prices are fair etc.

Also if one like beer or wine of course they have what looks like a good selection of both.

A card on the table showed some nice Import Draft Beers

Perhaps we would try again in the future but this experience will need time to cool.

Edited by mania

I've never been there and can't say for sure but it's my guess too, that they are serving microwaved, prepared in advance meals. I saw the chef and he is about a 22 year old Burmese kid. There is no way that he is trained to, and capable of preparing risotto, lasagna, salmon ravioli, etc. fresh. Don't know about the pizza...

They sell microwaved ready made meals in S&P and charge a lot of money and many, may Thais in Bangkok think the food is fantastic. I went to S&P in Bangkok a couple of times with a Thai friend and was also surprised at how a difficult, gourmet Thai dish with salmon, etc. could be brought to the table in about 2 minutes time when the place was packed. I took a peek in the kitchen as the door was open in the back and there was one guy loading up the meals in the microwave and another making them look presentable on the plates with garnish, etc.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this topic needs pictures.

This one from the Hang Dong branch at Kad Farang.

Massive amount of food, the below is 590 Baht, advertised as being for two, but it actually feeds at least three. wink.png

post-64232-0-02244700-1413640685_thumb.j
Choucroute Garnie

I guess it would pair better with beer, but what the heck.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Went a couple of weeks ago. Food was clearly per-prepared and microwaved, though not unpleasant. 149B deal was not advertised, but they gave it us at 17:05. I saw on a leaflet later that it finishes at 17:00, I had thought 18:00.

They serve Eurpoean beers on draught at 180B/pint, though they have reinvented the pint, as the small print lists it as either being 50cl or 33cl depending on the beer. Perhaps they should use the word glass. Outside seating area is large, faces the main road but far enough away not to hear the traffic. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

The leaflet I picked up had many restaurants offering promotions during the daytime, all in the 100-200B range.

I eat at the wine connectionS in Bangkok near my condo frequently and they are an easy 6.5-7.0 In chiang mai 4 (no more)

Changed your mind then!!

"Today at the Promenada mall, I popped into the wine connection and looked at their menu. It was like looking in the Cafe De La Paix in Paris. What wonderful choices".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733039-wine-connection/#entry7949635

I like wine connection but i was surprised when i tried their beef steak for the first time. It's so bad i don't know how they have the nerve to put a price tag on it. It should be free. And i still wouldn't eat it again.