Minimum Age For Motorcycle Licence

Levent

Hello all,

Just wanted to ask what the minimum age is to obtain a Thai motorcycle licence. My partner's son turns 16 on 5 August and I've been teaching him to ride a Honda Wave. He's now ready to get a licence, but... can he?

We have all the necessary documents.

Also, can anyone tell me at what time the English-language theory part starts at the traffic office in Pattaya? Is it every morning, or only on certain days?

Thanks in advance.

No, he cannot get a legal license. The age, believe it or not, is 18. That said, if you live out in the country the police tend not to enforce it (unless, of course, it is checkpoint day :o )

How weird. When I went to get my Thai bike and car licences last year, I asked the girl helping me whether a 15-year old could have a motorcycle licence and she said yes...

But I hear and read all kinds of different things...

Is there no possibility at all, maybe with a restriction on the engine size like in Europe?

How weird. When I went to get my Thai bike and car licences last year, I asked the girl helping me whether a 15-year old could have a motorcycle licence and she said yes...

But I hear and read all kinds of different things...

Is there no possibility at all, maybe with a restriction on the engine size like in Europe?

My understanding is that the age is 14 but they can only ride a bike less than 80cc and that these bikes are no longer sold in Thailand.

At my local corner shop there is a young kid that looks about 8 that rides a Honda wave , but they assure me that everything is OK because he is 12 years old.

No, he cannot get a legal license. The age, believe it or not, is 18. That said, if you live out in the country the police tend not to enforce it (unless, of course, it is checkpoint day :D )

I've seen a small dog driving a motorcycle in Patong.

He had his front paws on the handlebars , his back paws on the seat and seemed

to be enjoying himself.

There was a guy just behind him but he was turned round talking to the wife

and three kids behind him.

The dog didn't look eighteen so he probably didnt have a licence.

He wasn't wearing a helmet either !

Probably one of them hel_l's Angel types.

:o

Edited by farangsay

On a serious note now.

Thai compulsory insurance being a joke or not -the questions also is :

Is someone who does NOT have a motorcycle drivers licence covered by the compulsory insurance -I was told that the insurance covers the bike and any driver of it ,but it would be just too nice for the insurance to deny coverage in case of need if the driver had no licence.

I am having a heck of a time in keeping the kids and others w/o licence off the Honda Dream -I cant be around all the time

On a serious note now.

Is someone who does NOT have a motorcycle drivers licence covered by the compulsory insurance -I was told that the insurance covers the bike and any driver of it ,but it would be just too nice for the insurance to deny coverage in case of need if the driver had no licence.

I am having a heck of a time in keeping the kids and others w/o licence off the Honda Dream -I cant be around all the time

Doesn't it need a key to unlock / start it? If so don't leave the key in it - the kids will soon get tired of pushing it round in a circle! Alternatively, just buy a wheel lock then it won't be going anywhere.

DM

No, he cannot get a legal license. The age, believe it or not, is 18. That said, if you live out in the country the police tend not to enforce it (unless, of course, it is checkpoint day :D )

I've seen a small dog driving a motorcycle in Patong.

He had his front paws on the handlebars , his back paws on the seat and seemed

to be enjoying himself.

There was a guy just behind him but he was turned round talking to the wife

and three kids behind him.

The dog didn't look eighteen so he probably didnt have a licence.

He wasn't wearing a helmet either !

Probably one of them hel_l's Angel types.

:o

You should have posted that one in the jokes forum! Thanks for a good giggle.

Of course, it probably is all true too :D

On a serious note now.

My husband believes that if the driver is unlicensed nothing is covered, not even the other driver in 3rd party insurance. Double check that but it sounds right to me.