Monkeys....bloody monkeys

samran

Walking down Sukhumvit Soi 1 today, just after the rain storm on the way to Bamrungrad, I walked past that German restuarant that is about half way down the soi. Big puddles everywhere on the road and footpath.

I noticed, that from the front of this restuarant ran a very long extension cord that ran up the road a couple of shops, right dead bang through one of these puddles that had formed on the footpath.

Noticing this, I walked into the restuarant and asked for the manager, and I told her to come out and look at the situation, pointing out the electric cable through the puddle. She told me, "Oh, we've been doing that for years, and the cord is waterproof anyway". I just shook my head and walked away.

Now, please I hope there is an electrician out there who can tell me that this is safe. I'd love to be proven wrong that actually there wasn't something stupid and potentially dangerous about the picture I saw....

"Monkeys....bloody Monkeys"

Must be nice being a Super Moderator and being able to be completely open and candid. :o

Or it could be a figure of Australian speech.

I could have used "muppets".

Walking down Sukhumvit Soi 1 today, just after the rain storm on the way to Bamrungrad, I walked past that German restuarant that is about half way down the soi. Big puddles everywhere on the road and footpath.

I noticed, that from the front of this restuarant ran a very long extension cord that ran up the road a couple of shops, right dead bang through one of these puddles that had formed on the footpath.

Noticing this, I walked into the restuarant and asked for the manager, and I told her to come out and look at the situation, pointing out the electric cable through the puddle. She told me, "Oh, we've been doing that for years, and the cord is waterproof anyway". I just shook my head and walked away.

Now, please I hope there is an electrician out there who can tell me that this is safe. I'd love to be proven wrong that actually there wasn't something stupid and potentially dangerous about the picture I saw....

It does depend on what kind of cable is being used.

Not having seen it, your probably right.

But you never know :o

It does depend on what kind of cable is being used.

This is very true. Being an electrician myself. It does depend on the cable. But knowing the standard of Thai wiring then i guess its the not the right cable. I'm sure Bronco could add somemore to this. Seeing as hes an electrician and also older than me and more qualified. :o

Must be nice being a Super Moderator and being able to be completely open and candid. :o

Normally when a human refers to aother human as a monkey they are implying that the human in question is not human, but sub-human.

Normally when a human refers to aother human as a monkey they are implying that the human in question is not human, but sub-human.

I see no mention of "Monkeys" until Ulysses G posted, should i therefore take Ulysses to task over this?

Must be nice being a Super Moderator and being able to be completely open and candid. :D

I see no mention of "Monkeys" until Ulysses G posted, should i therefore take Ulysses to task over this?

Wow. :D Okay what's the title then chuck? You think there might be a connection between the titile and the topic? :o Just a thought. :D

Must be nice being a Super Moderator and being able to be completely open and candid. :D

Hey wolfie, I put it in the title of the post. :o

'Normally when a human refers to aother human as a monkey they are implying that the human in question is not human, but sub-human.

Thanks for that piece of advice Thaibebop. But in this case it would be an insult to all monkey's. In my vocab, it means a person of utter stupidity. Utter, utter stupidity, lacking common sense.

Hey wolfie, I put it in the title of the post. :o

'Normally when a human refers to aother human as a monkey they are implying that the human in question is not human, but sub-human.

Thanks for that piece of advice Thaibebop. But in this case it would be an insult to all monkey's. In my vocab, it means a person of utter stupidity. Utter, utter stupidity, lacking common sense.

I understand vocab differences, I am just saying some people won't see it that way. For example African-Americans were refered to as monkeys. People tried to prove that they were indeed just that.

Further to the above

I remember doing a couple of visa runs with a Belgian guy who consistently

referred to Thai people as "les singes".

He had been a long time in Thailand and I wondered , with his attitude ,

why he stayed.

Obviously the word "moderator" has no relation to the word "moderate"

:o

Further to the above

why he stayed.

Perhaps double standard isn't in the Aussie vocab?

Must be an Aussie/UK thing as we use monkey all the time at work to describe when someone does something stupid or without putting a lot of thought into it. Like letting an electrical wire sit in a puddle. :o Never had anyone make racial connection. Must be cultural?

there's electricutions daily.....no standards :o

Further to the above

why he stayed.

Perhaps double standard isn't in the Aussie vocab?

Must be an aussie thing my grandson proudly stated a few months ago that electricity came from the Zoo, who told you that I asked he said the teacher at primary school, he said everytime they had a power cut, the teacher shouted the Monkeys have turned the <deleted> power off again!!! :D Nignoy

Must be an aussie thing my grandson proudly stated a few months ago that electricity came from the Zoo, who told you that I asked he said the teacher at primary school, he said everytime they had a power cut, the teacher shouted the Monkeys have turned the <deleted> power off again!!! :D Nignoy

A good example... yes everone... don't get your knickers in a twist over this one.. it's very much an "Ocker" or Australian slang expression... and having met the OP personally, I know that it had no racial implications.

:D

Now... what were we talking out??? :o

Ah yes... electrical cables in puddles of water... :D

Electrical conductivity

A common misconception about water is that it is a powerful conductor of electricity, with risks of electrocution explaining this popular belief. Any electrical properties observable in water are due to the ions of mineral salts and carbon dioxide dissolved in it. Water does self-ionize where two water molecules become one hydroxide anion and one hydronium cation, but not enough to carry enough electric current to do any work or harm for most operations. Pure water can also be electrolyzed into oxygen and hydrogen gases but without any dissolved ions, this is a very slow process and thus very little current is conducted. The taste advertised in spring water or mineral water derives from the minerals present, while pure H2O is tasteless. As such, purity in spring and mineral water refers to purity from toxins, pollutants, and microbes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water#Electrical_conductivity

:o:D

If the cable sheath and insulation is undamaged and there is no connection in direct contact with the water and it could not be affected by any capilliary movement , there probably is no problem electrical wise.

but , placing any electrical cable in a mechanically unprotected area is posing a hazard . unless it is steel wire armoured cable ( very doubtful ) it could be easily damaged with fatal results.

It is the title of the thread and would be considered quite offensive where I come from, although it sounds like samran meant no harm.

Why do I think that everyone is out to get me? :D

It is the title of the thread and would be considered quite offensive where I come from, although it sounds like samran meant no harm.

Why do I think that everyone is out to get me? :D

Because they are. :D

OFF TOPIC

But then so was this post.

It is assumptions like these that have created a few ripples in TV lately.

A careful reading of posts is probably in order before hitting the reply button.

LET ME MAKE A COUPLE OF THINGS CLEAR.

This is not a comment on moderation or discussion of a moderator.

It is a little advice/critique of another posters posts and I hope its taken that way.

Cheers

Are you from North America 'Ulysses G'?

If so, I can understand that.

For us Aussies (Samran included) to be "pissed" in Australia means you're drunk... but in North America I believe it means "angry"?

Different phrases have different meanings in different countries... no wonder the Poms get upset over use (or mis-use) of "The Queen's English"... :o

Anyway, let's get back on topic hey? I think this tangential discussion has been sufficiently explained now, and we've established that nothing derogatory was meant by the OP.

normaly the germans know what they do, maybe its the new top secret german WSDD (Weapon of SoiDog Destruction).