Deputy PM confident murderers of British Koh Tao tourists will be arrested soon

webfact

Deputy PM confident murderers of British tourists will be arrested soon

9-29-2014-9-24-58-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The deputy prime Minister in charge of national security stated his confidence that the police will be able to bring the case of the two murdered English tourists on Koh Tao Island to a conclusion and stressed that there were no mafia operating on the island.

The commissioner of the 8th Region Police, meanwhile, also stressed that the investigation into the case was progressing satisfactorily and that there was strong evidence to the identity of the suspects.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister General Pravit Wongsuwan voiced confidence with the police after receiving an update on the case of the two murdered Britons on Koh Tao Island.

He expressed his satisfaction on how the case was progressing and was confident that the suspects will soon be brought to justice.

Furthermore, he stated that there was no credence to the rumors that there were mafia in operation on the island and hoped that the media will dismiss such nonsense and report only factual material.

Pol. Lt-Gen. Panya Mamen, the commissioner of the 8th Region Police, meanwhile said that the police have examined video footage from more than 200 closed-circuit TV cameras and have questioned people in the immediate vicinity of the murder scene as well as making thorough checks on people who have entered and left the island during the time of the crime.

He stated that the investigation was progressing along the correct lines and was confident that the police have acquired all the necessary evidence to accurately identify the suspects.

All that remain was for at least two witnesses to come forward to make the case a solid one. Furthermore, he stated that police will not be dismissing any leads and will be asking the initial group of suspects who have already been DNA tested to report for another round of tests.

Meanwhile, on Koh Tao Island, forensic officers from the 8th Region Police have gathered no less than 40 DNA samples from foreign labor as well as local Thais to compare to those found on the body of the deceased.

They have furthermore distributed footage from closed-circuit TV cameras showing the images of a suspicious individual to the media to be made public in the hopes that the general public will report any sightings of the man.

Meanwhile in the tourism sector, Ms. Kobkarnjana Wattanawarangkun the Minister for Tourism and Sports, stated that the general atmosphere on Koh Tao Island itself remains vibrant and healthy.

This follows a field trip that she made where she personally interviewed foreign tourists as well a local operators and everyone expressed their confidence in the security and general safety of the island.

Furthermore, the island remains one of the favored destinations for both local and foreign tourists. She did however ordered an increase in security measures on the island such as the setting up of a Tourism Police Center as well as the installation of more closed-circuit TV cameras on Koh Tao Island to further bolster confidence in the island. She asked that special instruction and training be given to special unit of local volunteers that will be aiding police to oversee the safety on the island.

The measures that will be put in place on Koh Tao Island will then be used as a model for other island destinations in Thailand.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/depuy-pm-confident-murderers-british-tourists-will-arrested-soon/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-30

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So we've got another one coming out of the woodwork giving hope to family friends and the general public .

How many statements have we had in the last three weeks from the cast of so called experts?

And let's not forget to add on the usual propaganda at the end of the statement of how vibrant and upbeat the island is and how tourists are flocking to get there like nothing ever happened!

Dribble, dribble, dribble.

They always make it sound like an arrest is imminent. Why bother waiting for two or more witnesses? If you've acquired the necessary evidence, arrest them. Surely DNA evidence trumps the need for witnesses. If they know the person then surely they'd have also collected a sh#tload of other incriminating evidence, enough to build a watertight case.

I wonder what percentage the case is at today? I was 85% of the way to winning the lottery once. I made it to the lottery agent, bought the ticket and filled out my lucky numbers. Unfortunately the remaining 15% I needed never eventuated.

• Like 2

The entire article kills itself in the second line; ".....and stressed that there were no mafia operating on the island"

For any credence to these statement releases, these officials need to leave out these references. To state there was no organized crime happening on the island suggests they were in full control.

If they were in full control, then no other incident would have happened either.

I know people read these things differently as they are left wide open to interpretation, but that's how I read it.

On a positive side, it is good to see that they are recalling some of the original suspects for further testing.......................wink.png

Also wonder who the two key witnesses are that they are waiting for as well?

It's just possible that two pastys have been selected .

But suggesting there is nothing amiss on this Island to the civilised non bug eating world might not cut it

Unfortunate but appropriate misspelling fruedian slip.

Pastys traditionally being used to cover up boobs

• Like 2

If there is no mafia type organisation where does the Yeh Ba, Meth and weed come from. People just "Get along" on the island do they . no greed or violence or envy or fleecing of tourists . Sounds great think I'll book a couple of weeks with the Missus and kids

• Like 2

"I wonder what percentage the case is at today? I was 85% of the way to winning the lottery once. I made it to the lottery agent, bought the ticket and filled out my lucky numbers. Unfortunately the remaining 15% I needed never eventuated."

85% close to catching up with a fleeing suspect is not gonna get the job done. Previous police statement just said hunting video guy. Now they have him?

"I wonder what percentage the case is at today? I was 85% of the way to winning the lottery once. I made it to the lottery agent, bought the ticket and filled out my lucky numbers. Unfortunately the remaining 15% I needed never eventuated."

85% close to catching up with a fleeing suspect is not gonna get the job done. Previous police statement just said hunting video guy. Now they have him?

Once got five out of seven - still no millions :(

why don't they concentrate in arresting the evil culprits rather than soundbites and face saving "stressed that there were no mafia operating on the island"

Yes and only report factual material like the nonsense that officialdom releases everyday.

It's good the atmosphere etc on the island is ' vibrant ', after all we can't have anything, including a couple of murders, interfering with money making can we ?

The last time I watch Mario Puzo, the Mafia were still in Sicily. Why would they wan tot come to Koh Tao?

“You cannot say 'no' to the people you love, not often. That's the secret. And then when you do, it has to sound like a 'yes'"

Mario Puzo, The Godfather

• Like 1

They always make it sound like an arrest is imminent. Why bother waiting for two or more witnesses? If you've acquired the necessary evidence, arrest them. Surely DNA evidence trumps the need for witnesses. If they know the person then surely they'd have also collected a sh#tload of other incriminating evidence, enough to build a watertight case.

I wonder what percentage the case is at today? I was 85% of the way to winning the lottery once. I made it to the lottery agent, bought the ticket and filled out my lucky numbers. Unfortunately the remaining 15% I needed never eventuated.

I'd say they will crank it up to about 98% solved and then stay at that level for 7 or 8 years

Edited by Sena Dave

I'd say they will crank it up to about 98% solved and then stay at that level for 7 or 8 years

Have to say that perhaps it will be solved upon next change of powers revolving around southern islands - but then it will be too late.

..."he stated that there was no credence to the rumors that there were mafia in operation on the island"...

The deputy pm fits well into the investigation. There's mafia in all tourist destinations.

And then there's good old Panya: "He"..."was confident that the police have acquired all the necessary evidence to accurately identify the suspects." Again??? "All that remain was for at least two witnesses to come forward to make the case a solid one." That can be arranged. Where and when does he want them?

How utterly helpless the RTP are. It's not even hilarious, just terribly saaddening. Especially for the families of the victims. I will never ever go to Koh Tao.

Not ever going to Koh Tao because of this is ridiculous. Every Thai island has some form of Mafia so maybe you should just leave Thailand.It's still safer here than anywhere in Europe or the US...Heinous crimes happen everywhere...Corruption is also rampant everywhere.Perhaps the politicians and police are so good at it in the West that they haven't been caught yet!!!

• Like 1