North Korea issues mobile phone etiquette guidelines

webfact

North Korea issues mobile phone etiquette guidelines

(BBC) Mobile phone use in North Korea has become so widespread that state media have begun issuing guidelines on manners for using them, it seems.

An article in a quarterly culture magazine says the growing use of mobiles has brought a "tendency among some people to neglect proper phone etiquette", according to the South Korean news agency Yonhap.

The problems highlighted are not too different from those outside the isolated communist state: "Speaking loudly or arguing over the phone in public places where many people are gathered is thoughtless and impolite behaviour," one stricture reads.

To cut down on unnecessary chatter, people should introduce themselves when accepting a call, even though on mobiles - "unlike on land-lines" - the caller's number is generally known, the magazine says.

This, it adds, will avoid inquiries such as "Hello? Is it you, comrade Yeong-cheol?"

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29409805

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-30

I'm happy to see that all the other problems have been solved in North Korea and now they can focus on mobile phone etiquette guidelines.

The other thing I was surprized is, can they afford to have mobile phones there?

Or this is planning for the future when their dear leader snuffs it and they are free to live a better life?

• Like 1

I'm happy to see that all the other problems have been solved in North Korea and now they can focus on mobile phone etiquette guidelines.

other thing I was surprizeThe d is, can they afford to have mobile phones there?

Or this is planning for the future when their dear leader snuffs it and they are free to live a better life?

Yes....it makes me wonder how much truth and how much propaganda is in the stories we are told of their impoverished state.

• Like 1

other thing I was surprizeThe d is, can they afford to have mobile phones there?

Yes....it makes me wonder how much truth and how much propaganda is in the stories we are told of their impoverished state.

Watch or listen to a few decent documentaries on YouTube or the web, especially those with defectors and refugees' accounts, and you will know very well that this is the most abysmal and abusive regime on the planet. As to phones, they are probably basic, dirt-cheap ones that the better off people can afford.

Mobile phones are now quite widespread in Pyongyang, but not much outside the capital.

Of course, all traffic is monitored and it is impossible to make or receive international calls.

I think there is no Internet access or a very limited access to a national network.

Watch or listen to a few decent documentaries on YouTube or the web, especially those with defectors and refugees' accounts, and you will know very well that this is the most abysmal and abusive regime on the planet. As to phones, they are probably basic, dirt-cheap ones that the better off people can afford.

I think you're being naive to believe those documentaries and interviews.
I'm not saying that things are awful in North Korea, just that there's no reason to think those interviews aren't propaganda, or heavily exaggerated description by the people seeking refuge/asylum.

Are you saying that FOX is NOT telling the whole truth!!annoyed.gif

Yonhap omitted one more guideline in it's reporting:

Do not eat your mobile, even if it has an apple logo. It is not nutritious.

And has the profile of a banana.. whistling.gif

I did some business once with a Korean gent named Ham In Bum. No, this is not a joke. I still have his business card. I wonder what suitable alternative names would be for Our Dear Leader who invented the mobile phone and regularly holes in one on the golf course. Any suggestions please.

Coincidentally North Korean shops also began selling the locally produced SmartPhone specially designed for local conditions (string not included).

2731573-two-tin-cans-connected-by-a-piec

Maybe keeping the string tight is what all the yelling is about!cheesy.gif

• Like 1