I've been drinking the tap water, and I feel great!

timmyp

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tap water is generally fine, at least in Bangkok. Everyone ingests tap water to some degree every day, even if most don't drink it for drinking water. Almost everyone uses it for brushing their teeth, washing dishes, washing fruit, cooking, etc. People get it in their system every day without getting sick.

I've drank it plenty of times in Bangkok and never been sick, but the problem is that it doesn't taste good. There are filter machines that charge 1 baht per litre all over the place, including in many apartments, there is no reason for me to drink straight tap water instead of spending a few baht per day for drinking water. Alternatively get a filter hooked straight up to your sink and you have great tasting water right out of the faucet.

• Like 1

Yes, I addressed the different resiliences that people have to bacteria.

I have a filter, I just wanted to see if the water was safe to drink. People are always stressing how dangerous it is, but I've never met anyone who drank it, so it made me wonder why everyone is so sure it's dangerous.

I agree with DP25, who is the first person I've encountered who says they drink the tap water. It doesn't taste very good. It's not a hard water vs. soft water problem, nor a chlorine taste issue, the water just has a bit of a dirt taste.

I was only curious to explore people's fears of microbes. At least from my tap, it seems safe in that respect.

Edited by timmyp

About 2 months ago there was another story in the newspaper about the government claiming that the tap water is safe to drink.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751589-tap-water-in-thailand-safe-to-drink-pwa/

If you don't already know, nobody in Thailand drinks the tap water, not even the economically down-trodden. So as a personal test to see if it's safe or not, I started drinking it last month. I planned to make a clever day-to-day posting of my bowels, but I got busy with work… In the end, I just strung the updates together.

Anyway, I've been drinking the water for over a month now, and haven't gotten sick. It's not that I got sick and then I got better, I just never got sick.

I gotta admit, the water tastes a bit like dirt. It doesn't taste that way if it passes through my filter (which I by-passed for this experiment). But I am fine. I eat almost 100% at home, and I never eat street food. I mention this because I want to stress that this isn't a result of me having gotten used to microbes in the water through exposure elsewhere. I don't eat out, and I have only drank filtered water until last month.

I think the water is most likely safe to drink, at least as far as microbes are concerned.

That said, it's important to note that alot can happen on the way from the filtration plant to your tap.

*The pipes that the water travels through might not be in such great shape. They might be fine leading to my apartment, but I can’t speak for elsewhere.

*The water to your building might get stored in a special tank for your building, and that tank might not be in very condition.

*If the system loses pressure (which I am told can often happen in the rainy season), then ground water can leak in, and that can make you sick.

*There may be chemicals in the water (bromate, chlorine, asbestos, barium, fluoride, benzene, lead, mercury, etc.) that don't have any short-term effects, but are dangerous in the long term.

I live in an old, run down building near Victory Monument. My building is 26 years old. Nothing is new, and there definitely isn't an extra filter for my building. There are no fancy high rises on my soi or the surrounding soi that would have put in new pipes. Essentially, I live in a bit of a dump, and if my tap water situation is ok, I would venture to say that other areas in the city are probably fine too.

Of course our bodies are not all the same, some people might be more sensitive to drinking water. I do not have a super gut. If you want to continue drinking bottled water, I'm not trying to stop you. As far as microbes go, though, I think it's probably safe. Over the last month, I've also been drinking the tap water at other places I visit around the city (to the horror and disgust of my friends) but I still haven't gotten sick. I think the popular fear that Thais and non-Thais alike have of the water are probably overblown, at least as far as microbes go.

What about the clip your posted?

Are you sitting on the toilet because the water was so good, or is your playing music so bad?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps you could do a before and after series of photographs of your bowel movements; we could then discuss how the tap-water is affecting the consistency, shape etc..........coffee1.gif

I do commend your efforts though; the glorious Japanese have a saying;

虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず。 (Koketsu ni irazunba koji wo ezu) Literally: If you do not enter the tiger's cave, you will not catch its cub.
Meaning: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. / You can't do anything without risking something.

Read more: http://www.linguanaut.com/japanese_sayings.htm#ixzz3EnGZ2kTb

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

Perhaps you could do a before and after series of photographs of your bowel movements; we could then discuss how the tap-water is affecting the consistency, shape etc..........coffee1.gif

虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず。 (Koketsu ni irazunba koji wo ezu) Literally: If you do not enter the tiger's cave, you will not catch its cub.

Meaning: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. / You can't do anything without risking something.

This is bizarre coincidence, but the word you have there for baby tiger 虎子 also means "potty," the little portable toilet that young kids get potty-trained on. The reading changes to "maru" in that case. "If you don't go into tiger's hole, then you can't get your little potty." Amazing depth in your selection of proverbs on so many levels.

This is bizarre coincidence, but the word you have there for baby tiger 虎子 also means "potty," the little portable toilet that young kids get potty-trained on. The reading changes to "maru" in that case. "If you don't go into tiger's hole, then you can't get your little potty." Amazing depth in your selection of proverbs on so many levels.

Yes, I'm fully aware of tigers and potties and their significance in the Japanese language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeKv113CZSY

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

Yes, I'm fully aware of tigers and potties and their significance in the Japanese language.

That video was f'n hilarious. I feel an emptiness now knowing that my childhood missed such a ceremony when I graduated to underpants.

Edited by timmyp

One month is too short for the lead, chlorine, cadmium and cute little worms to have their effect on your mental and physical health.

I'd advise you to take spirulina, iodine, wheatgrass and chlorophyll supplements in the meantime.

Edited by tubby johnson

Ok I didn't watch the video because I just cannot look at someone sitting on the john but for you experiment I do think that you should read some medical journals prior. Now I do have a relative who works for the water treatment authority in Bangkok. She has a Masters in Chemistry and has stated many times that the water is purified to a high standard. She states that it is drinkable. However, she never does without filtering. The long term effects of the water won't be noticeable. Yes, immediate bacterial reactions may or may not occur depending on how sensitive someone is. Toxins and other residues could be so small but constant build up after years could do serious damage.

There was a Quincy episode long time ago where one friend donated blood to the other. The one that received died. The investigation showed that he had been poisoning his friend for years with small traces of arsenic. It didn't kill him but his blood was so tainted that it killed the poisoner during the blood transfusion. So in fact he killed himself by poisoning his friend.

My point is that the small traces will not cause noticeable reaction to you but may do serious long term damage that cannot be undone.

Why risk it?

Those are interesting points. I suppose the same could be said for tap water anywhere?

I mentioned that there may still be other bits of danger in the water beyond bacteria in my original post. Most people laughed it off when the government claimed "The water is safe to drink." I think most people think you'll get diarrhea if you drink it, so I'm showing that you won't. As for whether there may be other chemical in there that will get you in the long run, I can't say.

I 've been drinking it for years before the floodings, no problem at all.

Wow. I think you are a serious rarity. A Thai friend of mine says that her friend who lives in Lat Phrao drinks that tap water as well.

An no cancer, nor aliens springing free from your tummy?

People are pretty shocked at the idea though. Some people are thinking, "Well, I just wouldn't do it myself," but others react like a I scooped a cup full out of the mighty Jao Phraya and guzzled it down.

Yes, I addressed the different resiliences that people have to bacteria.

I have a filter, I just wanted to see if the water was safe to drink. People are always stressing how dangerous it is, but I've never met anyone who drank it, so it made me wonder why everyone is so sure it's dangerous.

I agree with DP25, who is the first person I've encountered who says they drink the tap water. It doesn't taste very good. It's not a hard water vs. soft water problem, nor a chlorine taste issue, the water just has a bit of a dirt taste.

I was only curious to explore people's fears of microbes. At least from my tap, it seems safe in that respect.

Your OP was very thorough and shows you really put some thought into this but I am not sure you realize much issue with water quality is a lack of consistency in treatment practices and also the impact that the rainy season has on water quality. BKK Water Works uses high levels of chlorine to kill biological agents; however there could still be other contaminants and heavy metals and pesticides present and those issues are not going to manifest themselves immediately in your bowels.

Take a look around you. Thailand and BKK are very polluted at both a visible garbage level as well as at an industrial Level that you do not see with the naked eye. Thai people even drink bottled water and the reason is that they are encouraged to by public health officials for their own good.

Please replace the filter system on your home faucet. You have proven a point to your friends and TV members--but quite possibly not the point you intended.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

]Meaning: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. / You can't do anything without risking something.

True, but what was really gained here?

The downside risk certainly outweighed any possible reward. This is not a good strategy for life.

Edited by ClutchClark

Cholera her you come, Even most Thais boil it if they have to drink it, best of luck/

Do you know anyone that has contracted cholera from drinking tap water in Thailand? Have you any evidence of anyone contracting cholera from drinking tap water in Thailand?

To what extent do you believe that the major cholera outbreaks in Thailand (which seem to particularly affect the migrant worker communities of North West and Southern Thailand) are due to drinking tap water?

SC

• Like 2