I've been drinking the tap water, and I feel great!

timmyp

I, my family and guests, have been drinking Pattaya City tap water after it has passed through my 2-part filter system for 30 years with no ill effects. I clean the filters each month and buy new ones every year. Cost nominal as many say the cost of bottled water water is. I just find having my own system at home more convenient than:

1) Making sure I'm home when the delivery man comes. And who knows where his water comes from. Heard many rumors, most not nice.

2) Paying 300 baht to the delivery man to replace a cracked container that was delivered cracked.

3) Lugging heavy water bottles from the store to home.

4) Filling up bottles at those street vending machines that have recently been condemned as "not good". When did you last see one being cleaned?

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bacteria, that might be the cause for some people getting sick, but your stomach can get used to them by increased exposure, which I did

The ultimate proof is soi dogs. They don't drink filtered water and don't get sick, I once saw a soi dog nibbling on a roadkill rat that was flat and already dry from days in the sun. But then, dogs live only 10 years, maybe because they don't drink filtered water?

"....................... As far as bacteria go, it seems to be safe. I can't speak for other chemicals in the water that may have long-term effects..............................."
It seems to be safe? Do you wish to be re-active to a problem or be pro-active and not have the problem?

Not all water filtration systems are the same.

Microfiltration - gets rid of things like Cryptosporidium, but is only moderately effective at removing bacteria and not at all for viruses or chemicals.

Ultrafiltration - gets rid of things like Cryptosporidium and bacteria and moderately effective on viruses and not very effective on chemicals.

Nanofiltration - gets rid of things like Cryptosporidium, bacteria and viruses and moderately effective on chemicals.

Reverse Osmosis and Distillation Systems will go a bit further with regard to chemical contaminants.

So the question is other than iron, what on the chemical side is problematic in the water system.

BTW, the better filtration systems probably produce water with lower bacterial / virus counts than most of the bottled water.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Not all water filtration systems are the same.

Microfiltration - gets rid of things like Cryptosporidium, but is only moderately effective at removing bacteria and not at all for viruses or chemicals.

Ultrafiltration - gets rid of things like Cryptosporidium and bacteria and moderately effective on viruses and not very effective on chemicals.

Nanofiltration - gets rid of things like Cryptosporidium, bacteria and viruses and moderately effective on chemicals.

Reverse Osmosis and Distillation Systems will go a bit further with regard to chemical contaminants.

So the question is other than iron, what on the chemical side is problematic in the water system.

BTW, the better filtration systems probably produce water with lower bacterial / virus counts than most of the bottled water.

I like your thinking but define Micro, Ultra and Nanofiltration in terms of "micron size" filtration? Spin doctors would have a field day with those terms.

In terminology that can be measured, what is "effective"?

As defined by the CDC:

microfiltration - pore size of approximately 0.1 micron

ultrafiltration - pore size of approximately 0.01 micron

nanofiltration - pore size of approximately 0.001 micron

reverse osmosis filter - pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron

effectiveness is broken down into:

- not effective

1 low

2 moderate (referenced in comment above)

3 high

4 very high (effective)

• Like 1

As defined by the CDC:

microfiltration - pore size of approximately 0.1 micron

ultrafiltration - pore size of approximately 0.01 micron

nanofiltration - pore size of approximately 0.001 micron

reverse osmosis filter - pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron

effectiveness is broken down into:

- not effective

1 low

2 moderate (referenced in comment above)

3 high

4 very high (effective)

Thanks for your prompt reply. Microns I can understand, just need to track down the "whereabouts" of the effectiveness levels.

I have some good friends who operate a health dept mobile laboratory and part of their duties include testing water and certifying water factories. I tend to trust their advice.

Rain water collected near farms - they won't drink, too many pesticides.

Town water - they won't drink, not clean enough but OK to clean teeth and wash dishes.

Bottled water - Some local brands they won't drink even though it passed standards, suspect cleanliness issues between inspections.

So, what do they drink?

I have some good friends who operate a health dept mobile laboratory and part of their duties include testing water and certifying water factories. I tend to trust their advice.

Town water - they won't drink, not clean enough but OK to clean teeth and wash dishes.

Bottled water - Some local brands they won't drink even though it passed standards, suspect cleanliness issues between inspections.

So, what do they drink?

Beer....

So, what do they drink?

Beer....

Wow! A viable alternative whistling.gif

So, what do they drink?

No.... really! What do they drink, Farma?