Survivalists in Thailand

PhuketAmerican

Singapore is an island...drive ???

cheesy.gif jeez you had better get out more...I had better tell those thousands of people who drive from JB in Malaysia every morning into Singapore that Singapore is an Island, you cant drive....one word "Causeway"....mate you need to get out your bubble, believe it or not you can get in a car and drive all the way Orchard road if you wish

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

oh great exactly what Thailand needs another nut job the world is ending type...I can see the discovery series right now Preppers:Thailand

so what your vision of doom and gloom...Asteroid, EMP, banks collapsing, Ebola ?

He is my survival strategy in Thailand..if it goes to sh*t get on plane, if cant fly from BKK, drive to KL or Sing and get on plane, if the roads anit working steal a boat and sail to Sing and get on a plane...wink.png

Firstly, haven't you heard that Ebola has been cured by Thai researchers. Singapore is an island...drive ??? Steal a boat...create riots in the streets or on the seas. Otherwise your suggestions are brilliant! NOT.

Long time ago....Some Thai made this brilliant invention and Singaporeans stole it. It is called a bridge!

• Like 1

Contrary to the ridicule being poured onto the poster I find nothing wrong with being prepared and self-sufficient.

I recalled during the big floods around Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Ayuthaya etc that people were fighting over bottled water, instant noodles and toilet tissue. The shelves were picked dry. The water supply was contaminated and electricity was out in several areas. Just a simple flood and necessities like water and power were gone. I could imagine utter chaos if this lasted more then a few days.

Common knowledge to survivalists is that the best place is the most remote place.

In Thailand that would also mean higher places away from the most likely scenario to besiege Thailand --> Flooding.

I'd pick the more sparsely populated areas of Khao Yai. Not too far from civilization that makes building a refuge difficult or life too hard.

First: You'll need to have your own water supply. Drilling a decent well 60-90 meters deep costs anywhere from 60-100,000 baht (including pump).

If you can afford it buy a water filter and softener if you don't want to develop gallstone, kidney or bladder stones. A stored supply of liquid chlorine will also come in handy as a few drops can purify several gallons of water for safe consumption.

Second: For power to run the pumps I'd go for solar as its getting more affordable and unlimited life supply not counting the battery storage system.

Wind turbines are just too costly to maintain on an individual basis. I'd also include a diesel backup generator just in case somewhere between 6-10kw is probably more then enough as anymore and your sucking fuel at rates of over 8L/hr.

Third: for shelter building a basement would be good only if your on high ground because flooding is homeowner enemy no. 1, and the humidity alone will probably wreak havoc on your stashed supplies. Need to have a really decent ventilation system to counter that.

Fourth: Food. Locals raise fish in ponds. They position chicken hatches over the ponds so the waste feeds the fish. They grow grains and veggies in sloped land above the pond so the water used to irrigate trickles back to the pond. So you've got a complete food supply cycle. The grains and veggies feed the chicken. The chickens feed the fish. The nutrient rich water feeds the grains and veggies.

You get fish, eggs, meat, grains and vegetables.

Fifth: Perimeter security. Barbed wire is cheap and deep canals surrounding your land are possibilities. I personally prefer growing a kind of plant called "Fueng Fa" around the perimeter. Its extremely tolerant to drought and when fully grown is difficult to penetrate due to the thorns and bushiness. Even a guy with a machete would find it tiring to get through.

With this set up your pretty much self-sufficient if the SHTF.

All well thought out...until somebody shoots you through the wire.

• Like 2

Contrary to the ridicule being poured onto the poster I find nothing wrong with being prepared and self-sufficient.

I recalled during the big floods around Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Ayuthaya etc that people were fighting over bottled water, instant noodles and toilet tissue. The shelves were picked dry. The water supply was contaminated and electricity was out in several areas. Just a simple flood and necessities like water and power were gone. I could imagine utter chaos if this lasted more then a few days.

Common knowledge to survivalists is that the best place is the most remote place.

In Thailand that would also mean higher places away from the most likely scenario to besiege Thailand --> Flooding.

I'd pick the more sparsely populated areas of Khao Yai. Not too far from civilization that makes building a refuge difficult or life too hard.

First: You'll need to have your own water supply. Drilling a decent well 60-90 meters deep costs anywhere from 60-100,000 baht (including pump).

If you can afford it buy a water filter and softener if you don't want to develop gallstone, kidney or bladder stones. A stored supply of liquid chlorine will also come in handy as a few drops can purify several gallons of water for safe consumption.

Second: For power to run the pumps I'd go for solar as its getting more affordable and unlimited life supply not counting the battery storage system.

Wind turbines are just too costly to maintain on an individual basis. I'd also include a diesel backup generator just in case somewhere between 6-10kw is probably more then enough as anymore and your sucking fuel at rates of over 8L/hr.

Third: for shelter building a basement would be good only if your on high ground because flooding is homeowner enemy no. 1, and the humidity alone will probably wreak havoc on your stashed supplies. Need to have a really decent ventilation system to counter that.

Fourth: Food. Locals raise fish in ponds. They position chicken hatches over the ponds so the waste feeds the fish. They grow grains and veggies in sloped land above the pond so the water used to irrigate trickles back to the pond. So you've got a complete food supply cycle. The grains and veggies feed the chicken. The chickens feed the fish. The nutrient rich water feeds the grains and veggies.

Fifth: Perimeter security. Barbed wire is cheap and deep canals surrounding your land are possibilities. I personally prefer growing a kind of plant called "Fueng Fa" around the perimeter. Its extremely tolerant to drought and when fully grown is difficult to penetrate due to the thorns and bushiness. Even a guy with a machete would find it tiring to get through.

Point taken. If your on higher ground I think I would have the advantage and also knowing the terrain better.

Of course having a vest, sniper rifle and thermal vision would be advantageous also.

At the end of day its better to try to remain unseen and alert.

there is nothing wrong with being prepared for something, but when it starts becoming obsessive,and a "life style choice" that's when it crosses the line.

one only has to watch "Prepper's" on Discovery to realize these people are nutcases/tinfoil hatters.

must sad that that a person is living their every waking moment in a state of paranoia.

there is nothing wrong with being prepared for something, but when it starts becoming obsessive,and a "life style choice" that's when it crosses the line.

one only has to watch "Prepper's" on Discovery to realize these people are nutcases/tinfoil hatters.

must sad that that a person is living their every waking moment in a state of paranoia.

Agree. I don't think any kind of knowledge or plan could guarantee survival in an end-of-the-world scenario and I'm not condoning a lifestyle of paranoia.

My point is I prefer to have some kind of back up plan to take care of my family when certain milder scenarios such as flooding occur and from personal experience just the interruption of power/water due to various problems has made me prefer to have a certain degree of self-sufficiency that of course doesn't put a strain on my pocket.

Agree. I don't think any kind of knowledge or plan could guarantee survival in an end-of-the-world scenario and I'm not condoning a lifestyle of paranoia.

My point is I prefer to have some kind of back up plan to take care of my family when certain milder scenarios such as flooding occur and from personal experience just the interruption of power/water due to various problems has made me prefer to have a certain degree of self-sufficiency that of course doesn't put a strain on my pocket.

It's a harmless hobby, and if you change hobbies, at least you can eat the supplies you purchased.

• Like 1

Sixth: Land mines, strategically placed clay mores, and a moat with crocs (can be eaten in a pinch)

Seventh: Several anti aircraft emplacements a few can be dummy's. for the well to do vulcan or a patriot battery or iron dome would be a nice touch.

Eighth: a bunker 40 ft deep should be enough keep you safe from the blast and those times when things get a little out of hand.

Ninth: Escape pod

Tenth: cyanide capsules for the easy out

Poor mans kit: a hammock slung by a stream next to a bug farm, knife and cup small pack for extra undies and your kit when you want to move.crazy.gif

Nothing wrong with Survivalists. There is something wrong with being crazy.

There are very legitimate possibilities of things that can go wrong. Thailand isn't very politically stable and is only a couple good riots from a breakdown of order. Flooding is common, power could be easily knocked out in short order. Take a look at places like New Orleans after Katrina in the USA. Read some books about people surviving in Bosnia or after the fall of the USSR in 1991. Hell, even around here in 1st world Canada a town had to go 56 hours in -30*C weather without power.

Things can happen and its prudent to be prepared. Its wise to be prepared to last 7 days in your own home or Condo in your current location and then be able to either survive longer yet or be prepared to move and travel somewhere.

Thailand should be a good place to be though. Food is plentiful and reliance on advance systems isn't all that critical. Social order could be challenging if things broke down though.

I'd recommend being setup with Solar so that if things do go bad in the electrical system you are already just living like normal and having a plan for water and food is also key.

One thing I've hear about is people surviving in Bosnia for example during its crisis really depended on how well they arranged to survive with other people helping. People trying to survive by themselves didn't survive because eventually you have to sleep. Surviving as a group had a much better success rate.

• Like 2

The remotely located Burma rice farmer is your model to copy. He will never know the rest of the world has fallen apart unless a nuke cloud drifts over and then he will never know the world has fallen apart due to his death.

Prepping is simple in SEA, just go live in remote farming places and kick back and relax. Think of all the world disasters these people have already missed. Even the Mongols did not get to them.

Learn to LOVE rice.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Sixth: Land mines, strategically placed clay mores, and a moat with crocs (can be eaten in a pinch)

Seventh: Several anti aircraft emplacements a few can be dummy's. for the well to do vulcan or a patriot battery or iron dome would be a nice touch.

Eighth: a bunker 40 ft deep should be enough keep you safe from the blast and those times when things get a little out of hand.

Poor mans kit: a hammock slung by a stream next to a bug farm, knife and cup small pack for extra undies and your kit when you want to move.crazy.gif

Really not at liberty to spell out my armament.thumbsup.gif

I've been using a very simple perimeter alarm for years when I go camping in case 4-legged things try to eat me or 2-legged intruders try to jump me. Its composed of a 200 meter long fishing string attached to a modified siren that will sound when tripped. I just string it around my camp site at about knee high using trees and branches. Wind and touching won't trigger it so never had a false alarm. You need to go through it and pull the string by about 4-7 inches depending upon how tense you strung it. If it sounds it gives you enough time to either run in case its an elephant or grab your personal defense weapon if its 2-legged.

Edited by smileydude

Really not at liberty to spell out my armament.thumbsup.gif

I've been using a very simple perimeter alarm for years when I go camping in case 4-legged things try to eat me or 2-legged intruders try to jump me. Its composed of a 200 meter long fishing string attached to a modified siren that will sound when tripped. I just string it around my camp site at about knee high using trees and branches. Wind and touching won't trigger it so never had a false alarm. You need to go through it and pull the string by about 4-7 inches depending upon how tense you strung it. If it sounds it gives you enough time to either run in case its an elephant or grab your personal defense weapon if its 2-legged.

I use thermonuclear claymores attached to a trip wire myself.

Point taken. If your on higher ground I think I would have the advantage and also knowing the terrain better.

Of course having a vest, sniper rifle and thermal vision would be advantageous also.

Though your focus is more on flooding issues, which you do supply a number of very good ideas and points to address, the idea that growing a certain type of Fauna around the perimeter and the erecting of barbed wire though interesting, would not stop someone who really wants in. The fact that you do not address is the need one will have for some firepower on hand. A shot gun is useless for anything else other than for close-quarters confrontations (pump-action is best) . At ranges beyond those you will need something better (M16, AR15, or AK). Also you would be far better off with an early warning system that would give you a heads-up. Also as for accommodation you would really need to fortify your house that would need the ability to provide sanctuary as well as protection (kinetic energy weapons, NBC as we are talking about the End of the World in the original post, as well as fire, to name but 3).

Switzerland has bunkers built into every home, office, and building. used to be the law there that each had to have one that could cover all possibilities (not sure if it is still the regulation these days). Montana is full of these private bunkers. There are even companies in the US that for a fee can supply you and your family living accommodations in a huge bunker complex and some even will have you bring your own camper trailer into the fortification to act as your living space.

But do you really want to live in a world where it is all doom and gloom? Is there nothing you could offer that would be of help, other than to just yourself but also to all of us... like help in the solution rather than simply hide in the ground and defend whatever it is that you have managed to put together in the name of self-preservation? We as Humans have created this world and so we have a responsibility to make it better, and not just hide our collective heads in a bunker! So, remember that "Whatever is made by Man can be overcome by Man" can be applied to both your survivalist ideas and the collective crap that the World is faced with these days.

Edited by iamariva1957

Lots of replies from all over the spectrum. I have my own plan for surviving here, but some good points have been made about being prepared for everyday disasters like floods, tsunamis, and earthquakes. If I wasn't well prepared and this went down, I'd feel pretty bad if unable to take care of my family. Good to have a few days food, a few weeks water, and some basic medical supplies. To each their own if they want to store gas, build water towers (like my Thai neighbor) and have home electric generation.

When the southern power outage hit for 9+ hours last year I was pretty popular in my soi for being able to pass out cheap candles to everyone eating dinner outside in the dark. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Though your focus is more on flooding issues, which you do supply a number of very good ideas and points to address, the idea that growing a certain type of Fauna around the perimeter and the erecting of barbed wire though interesting, would not stop someone who really wants in. The fact that you do not address is the need one will have for some firepower on hand. A shot gun is useless for anything else other than for close-quarters confrontations (pump-action is best) . At ranges beyond those you will need something better (M16, AR15, or AK). Also you would be far better off with an early warning system that would give you a heads-up. Also as for accommodation you would really need to fortify your house that would need the ability to provide sanctuary as well as protection (kinetic energy weapons, NBC as we are talking about the End of the World in the original post, as well as fire, to name but 3).

Switzerland has bunkers built into every home, office, and building. used to be the law there that each had to have one that could cover all possibilities (not sure if it is still the regulation these days). Montana is full of these private bunkers. There are even companies in the US that for a fee can supply you and your family living accommodations in a huge bunker complex and some even will have you bring your own camper trailer into the fortification to act as your living space.

But do you really want to live in a world where it is all doom and gloom? Is there nothing you could offer that would be of help, other than to just yourself but also to all of us... like help in the solution rather than simply hide in the ground and defend whatever it is that you have managed to put together in the name of self-preservation? We as Humans have created this world and so we have a responsibility to make it better, and not just hide our collective heads in a bunker! So, remember that "Whatever is made by Man can be overcome by Man" can be applied to both your survivalist ideas and the collective crap that the World is faced with these days.

I don't think anyone wants to live in a world of doom and gloom. There are two kinds of doom and gloom, natural and man-made catastrophes.

Most think we can't do much about the natural catastrophes such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and Tsunami's.

I think we can if these phenomenon are exacerbated by human behavior such as global warming and over exploitation of our natural surroundings such as occupying swamp land that was meant for water storage and blocking natural waterways as in the case of Suvarnabhumi airport that resulted in massive flooding.

We can make the world a better place if we use no more then what we actually need to sustain our lives but as collective humans its easier said then done. The advancement of technology has only made us lazier, highly dependent on power sources (fossil fuels) and taking nature for granted that if we deplete her we can find other forms to exploit because we believe we can develop the technology.

I think I'm doing my part by generating power from natural resources that result in low CO2 emission, planting my own veggies insecticide-free and building an efficient home water system (sink and shower water recycled to irrigation system). I also use LED lighting throughout.

It all costs money but I get it back in power/water bill savings.

My survivalist ideas are meant as my responsibility towards my family and not being over-dependent on the state in the event of a catastrophe.

If I can help others then its a bonus but that help would have to be controlled otherwise I would only be over run by looters and opportunists.

I think many of us here are ex-military but I don't really want to get into that sensitive area. Your points on the weakness of my perimeter defense is valid for highly determined or trained individuals. Though I have an alarm system, CCTV and shatter proof film installed on all my windows, it cannot stop bullets, explosives or a full-blown invasion of opportunists.

I'm not going to build a bunker because I don't see how anyone could survive a nuclear fall out on an individual level.

As with PDW's even the most highly trained well-equipped homeowner, and I mean one man, cannot stop a large group of armed looters but I can stop a group of amateurs. Every preparation is relative to the scenario and has its limitations.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm afraid that farangs in Thailand would be top targets if the civilized world started falling apart. I love the place, but rather be in a Western country with a good assault rifle and lots of dried rations and canned foods in such an event.

If it was a global fubar then a good assault rifle is good no matter where you are.....................wink.png

I don't think anyone wants to live in a world of doom and gloom. There are two kinds of doom and gloom, natural and man-made catastrophes.

Most think we can't do much about the natural catastrophes such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and Tsunami's.

I think we can if these phenomenon are exacerbated by human behavior such as global warming and over exploitation of our natural surroundings such as occupying swamp land that was meant for water storage and blocking natural waterways as in the case of Suvarnabhumi airport that resulted in massive flooding.

We can make the world a better place if we use no more then what we actually need to sustain our lives but as collective humans its easier said then done. The advancement of technology has only made us lazier, highly dependent on power sources (fossil fuels) and taking nature for granted that if we deplete her we can find other forms to exploit because we believe we can develop the technology.

I think I'm doing my part by generating power from natural resources that result in low CO2 emission, planting my own veggies insecticide-free and building an efficient home water system (sink and shower water recycled to irrigation system). I also use LED lighting throughout.

It all costs money but I get it back in power/water bill savings.

My survivalist ideas are meant as my responsibility towards my family and not being over-dependent on the state in the event of a catastrophe.

If I can help others then its a bonus but that help would have to be controlled otherwise I would only be over run by looters and opportunists.

I think many of us here are ex-military but I don't really want to get into that sensitive area. Your points on the weakness of my perimeter defense is valid for highly determined or trained individuals. Though I have an alarm system, CCTV and shatter proof film installed on all my windows, it cannot stop bullets, explosives or a full-blown invasion of opportunists.

I'm not going to build a bunker because I don't see how anyone could survive a nuclear fall out on an individual level.

As with PDW's even the most highly trained well-equipped homeowner, and I mean one man, cannot stop a large group of armed looters but I can stop a group of amateurs. Every preparation is relative to the scenario and has its limitations.

Best thing to do, forget this shit go and have a beer, mellow out and get a life.

• Like 1