Plug & Play Wi Fi

SDM0712

I have been recommended a device by a Client, but he cannot recall from whence he heard about it and everyone I have spoken to about it just shrugs their shoulders, smiles and says the ever popular " mai mee" or second most popular " mai roo". It seems that I am also one of these merry men and women, but I am keen to find out.

Now assuming it's not something my chappy dreamed about once and is now convinced it is a real device this is a basic description. It's a small item, slightly larger than a plug, takes a SIM card, and has plug prongs pertruding. The idea is that once plugged to a standard electrical outlet this device accesses a cellular network and broadcasts a small wi fi hotspot that all wi fi devices with the correct code can access. The only button on it is a reset as the handshaking and other duties are done automatically.

If there is such an idiot proof item I would love to know.

Is there such a thing ?

Regards

SDM

I did a google search for "3G WiFi wall" with IMAGES selected and found at least 4 devices that could fit that description.

Most of them are available in quantities via alibaba,

These devices usually are limited to 5 simultaneous WiFi connections. While some one-time setup would always be required, WiFi insta-connection could be handled by one-touch WPS.

• Like 1

Thanks RichCor this is really helpful. The problem with search engines is finding the best way to word the query. Also using your search parameter it opened up another term which seems obvious now but has also returned many possibilities, and that is " mobile hotspot"

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.

Regards

SDM

Yep, many terms

Mobile Hotspot

Pocket WiFi

Personal WiFi

MiFi

3G tethering

3G router

3G WiFi

AC, Wall Plug, convenient

Most if not all of the search terms were in your second paragraph.

I like using the IMAGES section of the search engine as I usually have an ideal of what the product I'm looking for should look like. Sometime it quickens the search, especially when a site shows the product they sell.

Why not just a standard MiFi? Huawei E5332 being one example.

Better to have the option of mains or portability. Bank on 1500 to 2000 baht for an unlocked model. Cheaper version may be locked to a particular network.

Recent experience here

If it can be charged from the mains supply as opposed to USB it looks perfect. Any idea if anyone sells a similar device in Thailand? That thread seems to intimate that True do a similar device, and I will head down there to check because that is a strong network in the area I have in mind.

Thanks also!

SDM

Why not just a standard MiFi? Huawei E5332 being one example.

Better to have the option of mains or portability. Bank on 1500 to 2000 baht for an unlocked model. Cheaper version may be locked to a particular network.

Recent experience here

If it can be charged from the mains supply as opposed to USB it looks perfect. Any idea if anyone sells a similar device in Thailand? That thread seems to intimate that True do a similar device, and I will head down there to check because that is a strong network in the area I have in mind.

Thanks also!

SDM

The TRUE version(ZTE MF65) is locked to that network. You'll need to unlock it if you wish to use it with any other Network.

Look here

All should be able to be used/charged via Mains and USB. Both of mine have convertible USB/Mains chargers.