David Cameron Wishes Britain Would Abandon The Metric System

Maestro

MJP No. Posting 88

Yes I know,but sometimes you have to put the followers in their place.

Is it bite or bight? I just don't know any more. That Gates Merkin with his dodgy spell checker keeps dicking about with the English language so much I've lost track.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MJP No. Posting 88

As you sit on your perch you seem to miss the irony that it is only America that has not "followed" Great Britain and the rest of the world by adapting the metric system with its origins in French Bureaucracy.

;-)

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

MJP No. Posting 88

As you sit on your perch you seem to miss the irony that it is only America that has not "followed" Great Britain and the rest of the world by adapting the metric system with its origins in French Bureaucracy.

;-)

Imperial confuses me. Inches, fathoms . . . under the sea . . . leagues . . . dunno . . . Ounces. Wot? Edited by MJP

MJP No. Posting 88

;-)

Imperial confuses me. Inches, fathoms . . . under the sea . . . leagues . . . dunno . . . Ounces. Wot?

There is little doubt that the Metric unit of measure offers a simplicity that the old systems could never match--particularly now that we have a global economy. It is often thought that Americans did not want to adopt while others suggest Corporate America was against the transition due to the cost of retooling. When you consider the influence that corporations have on the American Public, the latter seems more reasonable an explanation.

One consolation for our lack of adaptability, the US "Dollar" was based on tenths long before other Nations' currencies (ala Thomas Jefferson) and both he and Ben Franklin were seated at the tables when a Universal system of Measurement was originally discussed between England, France and the US. Unfortunately, the US Congress failed to act on Jefferson's suggestion to adapt the system.

An early example of how our Congress has historically failed the American people?

MJP No. Posting 88

;-)

Imperial confuses me. Inches, fathoms . . . under the sea . . . leagues . . . dunno . . . Ounces. Wot?
There is little doubt that the Metric unit of measure offers a simplicity that the old systems could never match--particularly now that we have a global economy. It is often thought that Americans did not want to adopt while others suggest Corporate America was against the transition due to the cost of retooling. When you consider the influence that corporations have on the American Public, the latter seems more reasonable an explanation.

One consolation for our lack of adaptability, the US "Dollar" was based on tenths long before other Nations' currencies (ala Thomas Jefferson) and both he and Ben Franklin were seated at the tables when a Universal system of Measurement was originally discussed between England, France and the US. Unfortunately, the US Congress failed to act on Jefferson's suggestion to adapt the system.

An early example of how our Congress has historically failed the American people?

Well it would have meant that spaceship wouldn't have crashed into the moon, eh?

MJP No. Posting 88

;-)

A fathom is 6 feet. A nautical mile is a minute of arc tongue.png

MJP No. Posting 88

;-)

Dunno, might have been Mars.

• Like 1

Cameron knows a huge percentage of British voters are over 60. This silly statement might win thousands of votes as it resonates with those who grew up before 1971.

ow, base 10 measures are so difficult to get used to !

IQ < 80

Whenever has this balloon head used a measuring tape or scales or a speedometer?

I would guess never, he needs a good slap on his fod with a bamboo pole and telling to go back to sleep.

You ever think this is how they're preparing this all giving pre-election budget?

Fifteen fourths of &lt;deleted&gt; all is still &lt;deleted&gt; all.

Maybe Guideon's getting his fractions mixed up with his kilogrammes.

MJP No. Posting 88

;-)

You're absolutely right, which is why nautical miles are still used to measure distance at sea by sea-going vessels.

Only very old charts still use fathoms as a measure of depth. Pretty much all modern sea charts use metres, now.

MJP No. Posting 88

;-)

You're absolutely right, which is why nautical miles are still used to measure distance at sea by sea-going vessels.

Only very old charts still use fathoms as a measure of depth. Pretty much all modern sea charts use metres, now.

Nah, nah I was right the first time. Definitely crashed into the moon.

Yes, now if they would just learn to drive on the proper side of the road. laugh.pnglaugh.png

We do.

If you were riding a horse and met strangers going the other way, wouldn't you like to be able to use your sword arm, just-in-case?

If not, you will be following a certain short, French-speaking General's dictate.

Outside of L.A. freeways, car drivers don't really need to brandish swords out their car windows. Britain and Thailand should drive on the right. US should go metric, and so should Land of the Beefeaters.

Yes, now if they would just learn to drive on the proper side of the road. laugh.pnglaugh.png

We do.

If you were riding a horse and met strangers going the other way, wouldn't you like to be able to use your sword arm, just-in-case?

If not, you will be following a certain short, French-speaking General's dictate.

Outside of L.A. freeways, car drivers don't really need to brandish swords out their car windows. Britain and Thailand should drive on the right. US should go metric, and so should Land of the Beefeaters.

Thank God we aren't in barbarian times anymore when a rider had to wield a sword ! In these modern times, it's the job of the front passenger to handle the assault rifle.

• Like 1

Don't forget aviation also used NM...and its a "second" of arc.

Edited by ClutchClark

Apart from those published by NOAA.

Apart from those published by NOAA.

The Arc was designed using the metric system?

Actually, Thais use both. I've done construction with Thais, and they switch between one and the other seamlessly. Plywood still comes in 4 x 8 sheets, and it's similar for many other construction materials - standard sizes. I've been a carpenter and grew up with inches/feet/yards, yet have adapted to metric somewhat. I use inches/feet when working alone, but usually metric when working with others. Metric is the sensible way forward.

• Like 1

Actually, Thais use both. I've done construction with Thais, and they switch between one and the other seamlessly. Plywood still comes in 4 x 8 sheets, and it's similar for many other construction materials - standard sizes. I've been a carpenter and grew up with inches/feet/yards, yet have adapted to metric somewhat. I use inches/feet when working alone, but usually metric when working with others. Metric is the sensible way forward.

The big question is have you found tapes in both meters & inches?

The big question is have you found tapes in both meters & inches?
It's rare to find a tape measure without both (each side of tape reading).

Incidentally. 15 years ago I bought a carpenter's tape measure made in China. It had both meters and inches/feet, but the inches were split in 5 increments instead of 4. I wish I still had it, it was such an oddity. Imagine: "Yea Bob, cut me a two by four, eleven feet, eleven and four fifths inches."

Those Chinese are pretty good at copying all things western, but they're got a-ways to go with precision. I wonder if their subs and aircraft carrier are as shoddily made as their smaller fabricated items.