lithium batteries

Hog Head

what is the weight difference between conventional and lithium batteries?

thanks.

Quite a bit. Ballistic performance claims their 8 cell lithium battery weighs ~18% of a traditional one with similar performance.

Correct and about a third of the size.

Benefit gained by the Lithium as far as life expectancy etc

may be a good thing

Any benefit imagined by switching a 6lb battery to a 2lb battery is strictly in the operators

mind

4lb of static centrally located weight is probably something like 1-2 liters of fuel

Probably less weight than the beer many falangs drink per night :)

Of course if one is really on a weight saving mission & has exhausted important rotating weight/wheels etc reductions

Then yes nice additional gain on some static weight reduction

But most falangs should not imagine the weight diff. would be anything noticeable. Sounds good but means zip for probably 99.9%

for a kg or two, it is an expense.

If you race your bike on a track maybe worth it/ Apart from that, if you are a perfectionist, than a good choice.

For me on the roads, 7000 thb extra expense is too much.

Lets say the wet mass CBR650F is ~225kg, & clad driver's is 70kg, then total is ~295kg.

So a 4kg reduction is ~1.3%.

If Newton (Sir Issac) is to believed (F=ma; or a=F/m), then the acceleration gain would be about 1.3% too.

Significant for an overtaking racer; insignificant for going to 7-11.

But if practicality were the over-riding motivator, I guess we would all be riding Waves.

Edited by papa al

Lets say the wet mass CBR650F is ~225kg, & clad driver's is 70kg, then total is ~295kg.

So a 4kg reduction is ~1.3%.

If Newton (Sir Issac) is to believed (F=ma; or a=F/m), then the acceleration gain would be about 1.3% too.

Significant for an overtaking racer; insignificant for going to 7-11.

But if practicality were the over-riding motivator, I guess we would all be riding Waves.

i did a research and you save only 2 kgs with lithium batteries (which they also differ as lithium phosphate and lithium iron ect)

so, as wet weight of cbr650f is around 210 kgs, the weight you decreased is not even 1%.

I prefer to lose 2kgs of fat than paying 7000 thb.

I stand corrected.

Everything else being equal, a racer with a bike that will accelerate 0.7% faster and brake (negative acceleration) 0.7% faster, will win, no?

A bike going 120mph travels 176feet in 1 sec.

To clarify: the 7000baht pricing I saw was for a small (125cc) bike battery.

I'm guessing over twice that for a 650cc bike.

Spendy, ya!

Edited by papa al

So you save around a kg?

Depends....

A greater weight (mass) reduction on a 'glide than a Scoopy, I'd imagine. whistling.gif

Take the mass of your stock battery in kg. and multiply by 0.82 and presto...your answer!

Math fail...multiply by 0.82 is 82% of the weight. Want to multiply by 0.18.

Think ill stick with the yuasa copies at 2000 baht. Seem to be powering my cbr fine. At 1000 baht a year im happy to buy a new one every 2 years.

Im certainly not a good enough rider to take advantage of a 1,2 or 3 kg weight savings