Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently MR Pridathon is in possession of various scandalous activities concerning certain banks which he may be ready to reveal if he was sacked. A very good reason for Thaksin to leave him alone.

are you suggesting blackmail? why would he need to? i think Pridiyathorn's power comes from somewhere quite a bit more influential higher up the food chain. and anyway, he already dealt with KTB and got its management fired. some say that was the reason why Sonthi turned against Thaksin to begin with, because Sonthi's massive debt was swept under KTB's carpet and he was lobbying Thaksin to keep KTB away from Pridiyathorn's scrutiny. but when Pridiyathorn stayed after the 2005 elections, Sonthi spat the dummy and started bad-mouthing Thaksin on his TV program, thats how it all started. i think Thaksin truly wanted to get rid of Pridiyathorn, i recall a conversation with a TRT minister in late 2004 when i asked if the governor would lose his job after the elections, he was unequivocal in his response, there was no doubt in anybody's mind, even party insiders at the time were sure that Pridiyathorn would lose his seat. but it didn't turn out that way, i'm sure there was a lot of maneuvering behind the scenes, but somehow i dont think Pridiyathorn is the blackmailing kind, he is one of the most honorable people i have ever had the good fortune to meet.

Not blackmail, but just letting his boss know that certain things would come to light if Thaksin had sided with the old board at KTB and dismissed him.

As you say many thought Thaksin would dimiss him but he didn't, do you know why?

The same story from another source. Thaksin’s ego, lies, and arrogance apparent. Don’t be deceived he will run for PM, he does not have a choice.

"I am the most important person who works with them. Everyone else is just my helper."

Meaning: "I am the only important person in government in Thailand. Everyone else is just my puppet."

“This is not the appropriate time to tell you.”

Meaning: I have not bought off the EC yet.

"There are many factors to consider and I have not yet decided."

Meaning: I don’t know who the new players are yet.

BANGKOK (AFP) - One of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's most trusted cabinet members has decided to resign after the next election, the premier said.

Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, a respected business leader who had been seen as a possible successor to Thaksin, has decided not to join a new government if the ruling Thai Rak Thai wins elections set for October 15, the premier said.

"Somkid has already discussed this with me," Thaksin told reporters in the northern city of Chiang Mai, where he was traveling.

But he brushed off concerns that Somkid's departure could weaken confidence in his government among business leaders, saying: "I am the most important person who works with them. Everyone else is just my helper."

Another cabinet member, public health minister Pinit Jarusombat, has also decided to leave the government, Thaksin said.

Pinit said he wanted to clear the way for younger politicians to join the government, according to Thaksin.

Somkid is a former finance minister who had widely been seen as the top candidate within TRT to succeed Thaksin if the billionaire prime minister decided not to run for prime minister.

Although Thaksin has said he will lead his party's election campaign, he has been coy about whether he would seek the top job in government.

"This is not the appropriate time to tell you," Thaksin said when asked about his plans for his political future.

"There are many factors to consider and I have not yet decided," he said.

Thaksin, 57, endured months of street protests earlier this year demanding his resignation over claims of corruption and abuse of power.

Snap elections on April 2 proved inconclusive after the opposition boycotted them, forcing Thaksin to take a seven-week leave from office.

He returned to the job after the courts in May invalidated the polls and cleared the way for new elections.

His critics insist that by returning to office he has failed to live up to his promise to step aside.

Thaksin's party is widely expected to win the new polls, although by a smaller margin than his overwhelming re-election victory in February 2005.

For those of you interested in Khun Pridiyathorn's politics I commend his excellent speech at:

http://www.bis.org/review/r060526c.pdf

Many others available with a web search. He has some very sensible "nationalist-traditionalist views" without being a knee-jerk populist reactionary. A man after the nations heart and mine. Nice to know there are some decent men up there.....

The things he likes about Thailand are the ones that ex-pats admire too. The things he doesn't like are the negative western ones we bought with us.

But he makes the distinction of Thailand not throwing the Fahrang baby out with the bath water....

TRT rattled by talk of late poll

Delay will put more pressure on Thaksin

POST REPORTERS

Thai Rak Thai is dreading the likely prospect that the general election will be postponed beyond Oct 15 now that senators have given themselves up to 20 days to select new election commissioners. The Democrats welcomed the possibility but Chart Thai refused to give any opinion.

Earlier, Bangkok Senator Wallop Tungkananurak, secretary of the selection panel, predicted that the process of investigating and screening commissioners would be completed by Sept 1.

It would take several more days for the Upper House and parties involved to process the appointments. After factoring in the technical processes, a new EC was unlikely to be in place before Sept 10.

A senior EC officer confirmed that failure to select new commissioners by Aug 24, when the royal decree for the general election comes into effect, would cause a delay in the polls.

Prawing Kachachiwa, deputy secretary-general of the EC, said the Election Law, which requires applications of constituency candidates to start within 20 days of the decree coming into force, should be taken into account.

With the current time-frame set by the Senate, the EC would not be around when candidacy registration was supposed to take place, he said.

Party-list candidate applications are being taken on Sept 5-7 and constituency candidate applications from Sept 8-12.

Thai Rak Thai deputy leader Pongthep Thepkanchana said the party was still working on the assumption that the elections would be held on Oct 15.

''We are sticking to the royal decree that schedules the polls for Oct 15 for the time being.'' he said.

He also said that the final say rests with the new EC.

But sources in the party said the likelihood of a postponement had sparked deep concern, as members believed it would heap pressure on party leader Thaksin Shinawatra to declare his political plans.

''The longer the election is postponed, the more Mr Thaksin will come under pressure from the media to answer the question of whether he plans to take a break from politics,'' a source said.

''No matter how he answers this question, it will have an impact on the election,'' the source added.

Democrat executive Sathit Wongnongtoey said the party did not mind a postponement, even for a month or two, as long the elections are held in a fair and transparent manner.

''The Democrats are ready to compete, no matter what. But it would be wonderful to have a clear election date so that we can plan our campaign,'' he said.

Chart Thai's campaign director Nikorn Chamnong said it was too early to conclude that the poll would be put off.

However, Chart Thai would be ready in any case for either the Oct 15 election or a later one, he said.

Previously, Chart Thai leader Banharn Silpa-archa said senators should finish checking the backgrounds of 10 EC candidates in three days, to keep to the Oct 15 schedule.

Thammasat University rector Suraphol Nitikraipot believed the election was likely to be postponed to around the end of the year due to legal technicalities similar to those pointed out by Mr Prawing.

For the Oct 15 polls to go ahead, the new EC must be in place before Sept 5 _ when the party list application should start.

But due to legal technicalities, the new polling agency will be in place on Sept 10 at the earliest, he said.

He said he did not think the Senate would be able to complete examination of the EC nominees within 20 days, while there were pressing issues for the new EC to attend such as ensuring clean elections.

''If the new EC can work before Sept 5, they might be able to get through only what the old EC left behind. Society will still doubt that the election is free and fair.

''The poll organisers need time, and I believe they need more than 60 days to clear their backlog. The election date could be postponed to December,'' he said.

An official at the EC yesterday welcomed the prospect of a delay, saying it would give them more time to prepare.

Meanwhile, the Senate's panel began work yesterday morning by choosing a chairman and a secretary. Mr Wallop said the next step was to have the 10 candidates present their visions on how to manage the elections and their criteria for disqualifying candidates.

They would also be asked to submit assets and liability statements of their spouses and children who had reached the age of maturity. Eighteen state agencies including the Revenue Department and the National Security Council would be asked to supply information on the candidates.

Mr Wallop admitted it was a difficult task to check on candidates' neutrality.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/17Aug2006_news01.php

Thaksin fans assault protesters

A small group of anti-Thaksin protesters gathered outside Tak Town Hall, where caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was holding a meeting with Tak provincial officials yesterday afternoon, was forcibly broken up by his supporters.

According to a coordinator of the local chapter of the anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the 12 protesters were waving anti-Thaksin posters, and shouting the familiar slogan for the caretaker premier to “get out” across the street from the town hall, when a group of Thaksin supporters – some dressed in Forestry Department uniforms – emerged from the town hall compound and roughed them up.

The coordinator claimed that the protesters, who were mainly women, were pushed and shoved, and their placards were forcibly taken from them.

They subsequently dispersed after being asked to do so by the police out of concern the clash could escalate.

The PAD coordinator said the protesters were assembled in a hurry as they had earlier been given the impression that the caretaker premier would not stop at the provincial town, but would travel directly to Mae Sot district.

ThaiDay

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reprinted for the police's benefit so that in the future they'll know who was in the wrong and should be dealt with:

CONSTITUTION OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND, B.E. 2540

CHAPTER III

Rights and Liberties of the Thai People

Section 39. A person shall enjoy the liberty to express his or her opinion, make speeches, write, print, publicise, and make expression by other means.

Section 44. A person shall enjoy the liberty to assemble peacefully and without arms.

BANGKOK (AFP) - One of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's most trusted cabinet members has decided to resign after the next election, the premier said.

Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, a respected business leader who had been seen as a possible successor to Thaksin, has decided not to join a new government if the ruling Thai Rak Thai wins elections set for October 15, the premier said.

"Somkid has already discussed this with me," Thaksin told reporters in the northern city of Chiang Mai, where he was traveling.

Hmmm.. Thaksin's words seem to conflict with other reports or is at least jumping the gun. If Somkid plans to retire, why not allow the man the dignity to make the announcement himself????:

Speculation over Somkid’s future was renewed Tuesday when Health Minister Phinij Jarusombat, said he and Somkid would end their political careers once the caretaker government completed its term.

Phinij yesterday reiterated his intention to resign as a Cabinet member, saying it was time to allow a new generation take the reins and that ministerial work had become increasingly strenuous in the past few years. “I need a rest and I want younger politicians to come in,” he said, restating that Somkid was also ready to step down, a claim some political insiders are heatedly refuting.

iTV evening news yesterday quoted an unnamed source close to Somkid saying the minister was upset after hearing Phinij’s initial statement, adding that he has never mentioned leaving politics.

ThaiDay

Election date should be postponed to ensure a just and fair poll

Thailand’s politics have been fluctuating since caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra dissolved parliament and held a snap election on April 2 this year, in order to pause the pressure on him to explain about the sale of his family’s Shin Corp shares to Singapore’s Temasek Holding Company without paying taxes.

The April 2 snap election was declared null a month later by the three top courts – the Supreme Court, the Administrative Court and the Constitution Court.

The political turmoil continued for another two months with heavy campaigns launched by political civic groups under the banner of the People’s Alliance for Democracy to oust the three remaining members of the Election Commission (EC).

Finally, the stubborn three election commissioners were forced to resign in early July after they were sentenced to four years in jail for mishandling of the April 2 snap election.

Now Thai democracy is in a better position with the Supreme Court’s nomination of 10 qualified candidates to become members of the 5-man EC to oversee the general election, set for October 15 by a government decree.

The Thai Rak Thai Party seem to be satisfied with the election date, knowing that they still hold the upper hand over the opposition parties and can make a comeback to power without too much difficulty.

Prime Minister Thaksin and the TRT factions leaders probably know well that the sooner the election is held, the better for the TRT to maintain or attract back the loyalty of their election candidates from different factions.

Political pundits have recently pointed out that the brand-new election commissioners soon to be selected by the Senate from the Supreme Court’s nominated list will not have enough time to familiarise themselves with their role of overseeing the election. Such a handicap encountering the new set of EC members could benefit the ruling TRT in winning the majority of seats in the House of Representatives through a variety of tactics, including certain cheating tricks which could evade the new EC ‘s eyes.

Last week there had been a outcry from many pro-democracy groups and political parties for a postponement of the general election date. The main reason given was to give more time for the new members of the EC.

Such a call is quite reasonable, taking into consideration the advice given by some concerned caretaker Senators, who met yesterday at Parliament in a special session to start screening nominees for appointment as new election commissioners.

The senators, voiced their concerns over the lack of experience of the nominees who came mainly from the various courts and said there was a great need for the new EC to revise the EC secretariat and its provincial branches.

There has been a growing feeling that it is necessary to swap the EC’s present policies which have served the now-convicted former EC members.

Replacing certain key figures within the EC secretariat and at the provincial EC branch offices would be the first job the new EC members should do before setting a new date for the general election, in order to eliminate the bad elements that harmed Thai democracy.

In overseeing the general election, it would be advisable also for the new EC to get help from each of the provincial courts in sending its officials to work hand in hand with the provincial election officers.

Even though Thai democracy has already been stumbling for many months because of illegitimate activities involving the April 2 snap general election, it would seem appropriate to postpone the new general election date to make sure that it will result in truly clean and fair polls thus paving the way to sound and sustainable democracy for Thailand.

Business Day Editorial

A small group of anti-Thaksin protesters gathered outside Tak Town Hall, where caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was holding a meeting with Tak provincial officials yesterday afternoon, was forcibly broken up by his supporters.

According to a coordinator of the local chapter of the anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the 12 protesters were waving anti-Thaksin posters, and shouting the familiar slogan for the caretaker premier to “get out” across the street from the town hall, when a group of Thaksin supporters – some dressed in Forestry Department uniforms – emerged from the town hall compound and roughed them up.

The coordinator claimed that the protesters, who were mainly women, were pushed and shoved, and their placards were forcibly taken from them.

They subsequently dispersed after being asked to do so by the police out of concern the clash could escalate.

The PAD coordinator said the protesters were assembled in a hurry as they had earlier been given the impression that the caretaker premier would not stop at the provincial town, but would travel directly to Mae Sot district.

ThaiDay

Reprinted for the police's benefit so that in the future they'll know who was in the wrong and should be dealt with:

CHAPTER III

Section 39. A person shall enjoy the liberty to express his or her opinion, make speeches, write, print, publicise, and make expression by other means.

Section 44. A person shall enjoy the liberty to assemble peacefully and without arms.

One wonders whether these were some of the hundreds of Forestry Department cohorts who, bused down to Bangkok and paid a per-diem, were used in the Spring to protest against and threaten the perfectly legal & peaceful PAD rallies at that time ?

How nice to have such an understanding employer, to forgive their extended leave from their proper jobs, and permit them to attend private political activities in their uniforms.

Let us hope that nobody misunderstood their actions, then or now, and thought that these were government-paid thugs being used to supress legal democratic activity, which as SJ points out would have been illegal and unconstitutional.

At that time, the boys in brown were slightly more even-handed, since their traffic-police colleagues had already reduced the number of rally-attendees en-route, turning back people on-the-road before they ever made it to the capital. I recall one of their senior officers recently got a promotion, for his success in these activities, what a way to set an example !

A pattern is starting to emerge here. Thaksin according to himself is not campaigning, however the fact that anti Thaksin protesters are experiencing how shall I say ‘Physical disagreement’ with their protest clearly indicate a political nature. Uniforms or not SJ is right about section 39 and 44. The fact that they were in uniform makes an undesirable connection for and to Thaksin. It strongly suggests that they were under orders to violate the protesters.

Once again Thaksin fears the truth. If he was a good politician the comments of protestors would go unheard. However because the comments have substance Thaksin fears it and will continue his campaign to silence it.

Now I need to figure out why the name John Gotti came to mind as I was typing this.

Edited by John K

A pattern is starting to emerge here. Thaksin according to himself is not campaigning, however the fact that anti Thaksin protesters are experiencing how shall I say ‘Physical disagreement’ with their protest clearly indicate a political nature. Uniforms or not SJ is right about section 39 and 44. The fact that they were in uniform makes an undesirable connection for and to Thaksin. It strongly suggests that they were under orders to violate the protesters.

Once again Thaksin fears the truth. If he was a good politician the comments of protestors would go unheard. However because the comments have substance Thaksin fears it and will continue his campaign to silence it.

Now I need to figure out why the name John Gotti came to mind as I was typing this.

or Mugabe, or Schickelgruber...Only the names change

I saw Abhisit on the television tonite!!! He was walking behind a two wheeled tractor pretending to be driving it....it was not convincing....it was not effective at preparing the land for anything and I doubt it was very effective in making rural voters think he is competent......at least in running a two wheeled tractor....one wonders if they will extrapolate this incompetence to other areas. Of course how well he handles a tractor has nothing to do with how he would do at running a country....so one wonders what he was doing out there walking behind a tractor with the press covering it as news.....my wife's comment was that he is "ting tong".

I really do hope that the Democrats get a better act together or if they have a good act already that they do a better job getting the word out to the public....his tv appearance today seemed rather lame...but maybe some voters will respond to it...I don't know.

...not to be outdone by his rival in the Silly Photo Op Department, Thaksin shows how he plans to "rebuild" Thailand, that he knows how to "construct" a solid future for the country, and that he is but a humble, simple 'man of the people.'

r1788155991.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra puts the final touches on a jar at a school, in his hometown of Chiang Mai. (Reuters)

ThaiDay

CHAPTER III

One wonders whether these were some of the hundreds of Forestry Department cohorts who, bused down to Bangkok and paid a per-diem, were used in the Spring to protest against and threaten the perfectly legal & peaceful PAD rallies at that time ?

How nice to have such an understanding employer, to forgive their extended leave from their proper jobs, and permit them to attend private political activities in their uniforms.

Let us hope that nobody misunderstood their actions, then or now, and thought that these were government-paid thugs being used to supress legal democratic activity, which as SJ points out would have been illegal and unconstitutional.

At that time, the boys in brown were slightly more even-handed, since their traffic-police colleagues had already reduced the number of rally-attendees en-route, turning back people on-the-road before they ever made it to the capital. I recall one of their senior officers recently got a promotion, for his success in these activities, what a way to set an example !

The use of Forestry officials (usually from Chiang Rai) under Yuth dooyen to break up anti-Thakisn rallies has been well discussed on Thai webboards for a long time as has the 'training' they have received.

Thaksin says he will retire if someone can perform PM's duty like him

Phitsanulok - Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Thursday that he would retire from politics if someone could perform as well as him as the prime minister.

Speaking to reporters during his provincial tour, Thaksin said if the country still benefited from him, he would still be willing to serve the country as the prime minister.

"But if the country gains nothing from me and if someone can perform as well as or better than me as the prime minister, I will not seek another term as prime minister because I am already tired," Thaksin said.

He claimed that his party already knew about his political future but he declined to elaborate.

The Nation

I liked that warning from Pridiyatorn:

"The feeling that one lives in a fair and just society is as important as, or even more important than the economic well-being. If the public feel void of this social well-being, they will feel thoroughly disheartened, unwilling to be food law-abiding citizens, unwilling to invest, unwilling to contribute to the society they live in.

So, the question is how do we prevent this feeling from deepening that it erodes the confidense and trust in the democracy and the government."

At this point the answer is quite obvious - nothing, or rather nobody, disheartens large, and the most productive part of the nation, than You Know Who.

So the question Thaksin shoulb asking - can anyone else split the country up worse than me?

Edited by Plus

Thaksin apparently attacks courts

Phitsanulok - In what seen as his attacks against the courts, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Thursday said it was dangerous if an organization improperly used its power to bring about changes.

"Whenever an organization or an independent agency improperly uses its power and uses its power to cause changes, it will be dangerous," Thaksin said.

He said members of the public had to express their opinions by casting ballots and the election losers must accept the result and rule.

"The losers have to retreat so that the turmoil will not erupt in the country," Thaksin said.

He said the government must win cooperation from all sides because the government came from people's representatives through an election.

The Nation

Is Thaksin talking about himself here, or is he getting worried? Last I checked someone above him had a little chat with the courts and they are following along the topic of the chat about sorting out a mess. In particular the mess Thaksin caused when he dissolved parliament.

I sense another wonderful comment coming from Thaksin very shortly that he will not clarify or answer. One right up there with charismatic people and educated people have me all wrong.

I can see Kicking and screaming that the judges are educated and smart and they were deceived.

From post #204

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that the well-educated people in Bangkok had been "deceived by bad people" to be against him.

Thaksin was speaking to villages in Mahasarakham when he visited the northeastern province on Tuesday.

"The problem of Thai society is that it's easy for people to be deceived and it's easy for them to believe rumours," Thaksin said.

"Let alone normal villagers, those who have education were also deceived. I regret their waste of time for studying.

I just hope someone has a document for the judges to sign before they put the covers back on their pens. That document to freeze all Thaksin’s assets.

Apparently MR Pridathon is in possession of various scandalous activities concerning certain banks which he may be ready to reveal if he was sacked. A very good reason for Thaksin to leave him alone.

are you suggesting blackmail? why would he need to? i think Pridiyathorn's power comes from somewhere quite a bit more influential higher up the food chain. and anyway, he already dealt with KTB and got its management fired. some say that was the reason why Sonthi turned against Thaksin to begin with, because Sonthi's massive debt was swept under KTB's carpet and he was lobbying Thaksin to keep KTB away from Pridiyathorn's scrutiny. but when Pridiyathorn stayed after the 2005 elections, Sonthi spat the dummy and started bad-mouthing Thaksin on his TV program, thats how it all started. i think Thaksin truly wanted to get rid of Pridiyathorn, i recall a conversation with a TRT minister in late 2004 when i asked if the governor would lose his job after the elections, he was unequivocal in his response, there was no doubt in anybody's mind, even party insiders at the time were sure that Pridiyathorn would lose his seat. but it didn't turn out that way, i'm sure there was a lot of maneuvering behind the scenes, but somehow i dont think Pridiyathorn is the blackmailing kind, he is one of the most honorable people i have ever had the good fortune to meet.

the Dude, have you heard of a company called Krisda Mahanakorn? They originally had a loan with Bangkok Bank for around 2.5 billion which was transfered to Krungthai Bank and later refinanced for a debt of 8.5 billion under Viroj Nualkhair. Out of this large sum, some of which was concerned with land around Suwannapum airport, various strategic non- performing loans emerged.

MR Pridiyaton found out about this, amongst other NPLs, and refused to let Viroj extend his tenure, in spite of Sonthi's, etc protestations.

So why did Thaksin not dismiss him?

Because in the list of names for NPLs was a name that owed 60 million baht, and it was a name that if revealed would damage Thaksin immeasurably.

Turning to other financial matters, some say the reason Somkit has stayed in the government so long is his fear his brother,'Som' will be prosecuted for the collapse of The Siam City Bank.

Regarding the Commerce Ministry's deputy Permanent Secretary, Yanyong Phuangrach, who has just announced a further 'investigation', ie delay, into the ownership of Kularb Kaeow: guess who is a good friend of him? None other than Nevin Chidchorp, a fellow Buriram native and close assistant of Thaksin.

Finally, watch out for Banharn, just lately he's met and sounded out MR Pridiyaton about an administrative role in the future, as well as former Democrat Secretary-General Pradit Patraprasit and Suchart Danjarern. He still harbours ambitions for PM.

Name, Khun Siriporn, name, please....???

Krisda was all over the news over his loans and over donating land for new government offices near the new airport.

60 mil is not a large sum, who was it? Now you left a teaser that is difficutl to dismiss

They're in... They're out... There in... etc. etc. etc. Keep 'Em Guessin'...

They're good followers of Thaksin's "3 Card Monty" philosophy...

Somkid, Pinij to remain politically active

Cabinet members Somkid Jatusripitak and Pinij Charusombat will remain active in politics after the October 15 election even though they will not join the new administration, government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said yesterday.

"I met Pinij and he informed me of his firm commitment to politics ... I also received a confirmation that Somkid would stay with the ruling party and run for a House seat as a party-list MP," Surapong said.

Pinij and Somkid wanted to make way for younger politicians to run the country after completing their terms as public health minister and deputy prime minister, respectively, he said. The two would give themselves back-seat roles in pushing for policy implementation, he said.

The spokesman dismissed speculation that caretaker Deputy Transport Minister Phumtham Wechayachai and caretaker PM's Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva were contemplating retirement. Phumtham would continue to work as a party executive and Suranand was mapping out campaign strategies for the poll, he said.

Surapong said his Thai Rak Thai Party had drawn up its list of candidates for the 100 party-list seats and was working on lists for senior administrative positions and party affairs.

Pinij yesterday apologised for his confusing remarks on Wednesday that suggested Somkid's departure from politics.

"I am really sorry for my mistake and I should not have said anything about Somkid," he said.

He said that contrary to reports in the press, Somkid had not confided plans for leaving the government to him. "I said I'd only heard speculation about Somkid and I was wrong in making misleading comments," he said. He said he would work for the party without accepting a ministerial position.

"But as speculation was all that was necessary, I decided to go ahead and announce his resignation for him," he clarified.

Caretaker Agriculture Minister Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan dismissed speculation that many key ministers were poised to abandon the ruling party. "I am aware of attempts to undermine the party," she said.

"Particularly among all the misleading and contradictory statements by our own party's most senior leaders", she emphasized.

Meanwhile, a party official said former government MPs from Bangkok wanted deputy party leader Pongthep Thepkanchana to lead the next government if Thaksin opted for a political break.

- The Nation

Thaksin reaches a political dead-end

After struggling to cling to power for the past seven or eight months, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra now appears to be heading towards what his critics describe as an imminent political dead-end.

One outgoing senator, who asked not to be named, said: "Five years ago, Thaksin's popularity was as wide as an eight-lane superhighway. No one could beat him. However, his karma is approaching an end because of his improper deeds since the start of this year.

Analysis

"Now, his popularity is dwindling rapidly, and Thaksin has probably entered into a dead-end with no way out, due to his own miscalculations."

The senator, one of 70 to 80 non-partisan members of the Upper House, said Thaksin was now being pressured on several fronts to quit politics.

"First, Pinij Charusombat, the caretaker public health minister and leader of a Thai Rak Thai Party faction, has publicly announced that he and caretaker deputy premier and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak will not accept posts in a new Thaksin Cabinet.

"Second, Thaksin is anxiously awaiting a Criminal Court ruling on whether a perjury case against him while he was still the chief executive of a cable-TV firm will be accepted. The final ruling is due on October 16.

"Third, the Constitution Court will soon deliver a verdict on whether the Thai Rak Thai Party will be dissolved due to its alleged hiring of small parties to field candidates in the April 2 election," the senator said.

In addition, the next election is unlikely to be held on October 15 as scheduled because the Senate will be unable to select five new election commissioners by next Thursday's deadline.

The senator said September 5 was probably the earliest date by which all five new members of the Election Commission would be selected.

"All caretaker senators have agreed that we need a total of 20 days to examine the background and qualifications of the 10 nominees for final selection of the EC members.

"As a result, we won't have these new commissioners by the August 24 deadline and the decree for the next poll to take place on October 15 will probably be null and void. A new election date will have to be scheduled later.

"In this scenario, Thaksin and his Thai Rak Thai Party will have a reduced advantage at the polls. The later the polls are held, the more difficult they will find it to win as many votes as before," he said.

Meanwhile, a Thai Rak Thai source said it was likely that Somkid would be Thaksin's successor, if the latter eventually decides not to take up the premiership.

"Politicking inside the TRT has intensified," the source said. "A large faction of 120 former MPs together with a smaller faction of 20 MPs have backed Somkid as the next premier in the event that Thaksin is forced to step aside.

"These two factions want Thaksin to announce an early decision that he will not accept the premiership, because they believe Thaksin can no longer govern, even though Thai Rak Thai might win the next poll.

"In such an event, Somkid is probably the best choice as Thaksin's successor because other choices may be seen as Thaksin's puppets," the Thai Rak Thai source said.

At this juncture, it remains difficult to read Thaksin's mind, because his final decision on whether or not he will take up the premiership will be based on the number of Thai Rak Thai candidates that win in the next election.

Nophakhun Limsamarnphun,

Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

TRT challenges PAD to set up a political party

The Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party’s legal team challenges the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to scrutinize the government “the right way” by setting up a political party.

The call was made as PAD is preparing another major rally against the TRT-led administration today.

Surachai Baojanya (สุรชัย เบ้าจรรยา), member of the TRT legal team, said he did not want PAD to act like hooligan but make its political movements by forming its own party and contesting the general election.

Mrs. Surachai also asked academics who suggested the general election be postponed from October 15 to be impartial when voicing their opinions.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 August 2006

PM’s Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva supports public media

Caretaker PM’s Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva (สุรนันท์ เวชชาชีวะ) plans to make radio and television of the Public Relations Department (PRD) real public media.

Mr. Suranand said he will propose to the cabinet for approval the appointment of a board of media experts to oversee public media and make sure they can not be manipulated by political parties and their executives.

Mr. Suranand said related laws will be amended to make way for media reform. He said local communities themselves wanted radio and TV stations to allocate more airtime for local programs that really serve public need for information.

Democrat Party introduced MP candidates in Nakhon Ratchasima

The Democrat Party introduced its Nakhon Ratchasima MP candidates, in an effort to win over the hearts of the northeastern residents. The party is confident that it will gain more votes than the previous election.

Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva, the Democrat leader, together with the core members of the party such as Mr. Thaworn Sen-niam, Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich, and Democrat spokesman Ong-art, visited Nakhon Ratchasima and opened a new branch of Democrat office. The Democrat has set up this office to gather information on local, provincial and commercial levels, and this information will be used to determine the party policies relating to the general public.

During this visit, the Democrat members also unveiled Mr. Pichet Pattanachote, a former Nakhon Ratchasima Senator, who will run in the upcoming election. Mr. Abhisit expressed his confidence that his party’s MP candidates will be able to win more than two seats this time round, but he would not like to indicate the number of seats at the moment.

However this evening, the Democrat leader and the core members will stage an address at the City Hall of Nakhon Ratchasima, to introduce the party’s MP candidates and its policies.