Tourists may be required to pay entrance fee for visiting Koh Tao

Lite Beer

Tourists may be required to pay entrance fee for visiting Koh Tao

KOH TAO: -- A meeting of tourism operators and local residents of Koh Tao in Surat Thani resolved during a meeting Thursday to collect an entrance fee from visiting tourists.

They plan to use the fee for setting up a fund to boost security for tourists on the island. The meeting resolved to have the Koh Tao Municipality hold a public hearing on the fee rate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Tourists-may-be-required-to-pay-entrance-fee-for-v-30244592.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-02

• Like 1

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How clever!! I suspect that tourists worrying about their security would rather spend their holidays (and their money) elsewhere, where decent security is already insured without having to collect an additional entrance fee from them! facepalm.gif

Edited by GuyL
  • Like 1

If this is a genuine suggestion then it really shows that to many Thais , Tourists /Farangs are just walking wallets. We have to pay to look after ourselves when we put our hand in our pocket and spend our money in their country, why should they do it

Disgraceful if true

• Like 1

If I were in Government I would look at the island and realise that if tax was correctly paid there would be a considerable amount for the treasury. I would do an audit of the goods sent to the island and from that deduce the amount charged tourists. I would then compare that with the Vat Paid. Not enough...send updated assessments.

I would do the same audit with the alcohol arriving on the island and ensure that vat was paid. Then I would compare the amount of goods sold in the bars and the selling prices and from them deduce how much profit was made on them and issue all the bars with updated Tax assessments.

No problem then. We would enough to fund a huge police force and they would not have to worry about having to collect tea money.

Ah well, this is Thailand

• Like 1

So, they're now going to charge an additional fee to provide things they and the Police should be doing anyway ... classic ...

And once again, putting the responsibility for violent attacks on the tourists. You see, if the tourists weren't in the country, there would be no rpaes and murders, so therefore.... it is their fault.

• Like 1