Tourists may be required to pay entrance fee for visiting Koh Tao

Lite Beer

"A meeting of tourism operators and local residents of Koh Tao in Surat Thani resolved during a meeting Thursday to collect an entrance fee from visiting tourists"

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why tourism operators and local residents are making decisions like this?

That's what governments are for, else everyone will be charging for everything everywhere......................wink.png

Scrots shouldn't have the authority to do this, and the media shouldn't be publishing said rubbish.

IMHO of course.

They will all be rubbing their hands at the thought of creaming something off the top.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Thai people applying for Visa to Europe, Thailand should force tourist to purchase Insurance when visiting Thailand.

So if the tourist is hurt, sick, murder, etc; whatever, they can claim from their insurer, NOT burden the poor Thai tax payers.

You're joking right??? Please tell me you're joking..

Yes Chotthee is joking, although I believe the poster is actually Thai, he does post some very sarcastic posts...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Making it a national "park" and ask an entrance fee in order to have more money to make it safer and cleaner. No problem for me.

A good idea...especially as I believe there was a law banning alcohol in a national park.

• Like 1

All tourists or just foreign tourists?

Even if it is all tourists be assured double pricing will be applied... THB 500 foreign tourist, Thai tourist THB 20, for the scam to work they have to keep up appearances of making this even handed...wink.png

In an earlier report it was stated that KT generates 5 billion baht revenue annually, it would be interesting to know how much of that is used to improve infrastructure and ensure safety of tourists.

The solution would be to join KT with the Ang Thong marine park and only allow day visitors. Evict the "land owners" and make them pay for the removal of all structures. The entire island should be considered proceeds of crime.

• Like 1

Count me in! I'll be the first in line to pay into the Police corruption fund...I want to feel safe when I'm there you know!

If I pay extra can I also bring my bazooka?

This is just getting more ridiculous by the moment! Let the tourist pay for their own security...and tag them like cattle!

May as well go all the way and charge an exit fee as well, minimum stay 7 days etc

I have never in my life seen has many idiotic decisions coming out of Thailand lol

I hate to see whats coming next lol

I can't wait! More rope....more rope.

• Like 1

May as well go all the way and charge an exit fee as well, minimum stay 7 days etc

I have never in my life seen has many idiotic decisions coming out of Thailand lol

I fear that the practice of putting up prices when demand drops may have been found out.

Who wants a cushy job where you can get a great salary + commission bribe money to come up with the most elaborate stupidity imaginable? I hear the Thai Government is seeking empty to narrow minded individuals for high profile positions.

• Like 1

My solution to nonsense in Thailand is a charity budget. Every time I feel scammed I deduct the money from this fund and at the end of the year the rest goes to actual charity. That way I don't get too upset.

I can't wait! More rope....more rope.

Cannot charge exit fees...the next of kin might be upset.

• Like 1

If anyone has to pay a fee to set up and maintain appropriate security measures it's the local residents, who in the end are the ones who benefit from visiting tourists.

Levy a monthly fee on bars, restaurants, dive shops, hotels and guesthouses, and voila, there you have your financing!

Usually it is the HOST who provides security to their guests, and it is NOT the guests who are required to take care of that.

Perhaps next time I invite friends and associates to a dinner party I should collect a security fee from each and every one of them...

Once again Thailand shows where her real interests lie, in fleecing tourists for everything they're worth at any given opportunity. Pathetic!

• Like 2

Making it a national "park" and ask an entrance fee in order to have more money to make it safer and cleaner. No problem for me.

A good idea...especially as I believe there was a law banning alcohol in a national park.

You can't build on national parks, even so why not got to somewhere like Koh Chang which has a huge amount of national park and is free.