Tourists may be required to pay entrance fee for visiting Koh Tao

Lite Beer

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were a tourist, this country would be avoided like ebola by me - first electronic tags and arm i.d. tags and now entrance fee to an island with a very baaaaaaad reputation. Laugh out loud!!

• Like 1

From wearing wrist bands or electronic taggs to entrance fees. This all shouts loudly that Thailand cannot protect tourists from the criminal ellements of Thailand.

They now want tourists to pay protection money. All very mafiosa. We will kill you if you don't!!! <deleted>

I found the perfect solution to the Thainess... I crossed the border to ensure I don't support their regime any longer. Pity more expats don't follow suit and see what Thailand does when thousands exit - hurt them were it hurts the most ... in their wallets.

How anyone, with a conscience or a spine, stay in such a country and inevitably support their ways is beyond comprehension. Time to get of your bar stools and grow a pair, along with a spine - stop your pissing and moaning and do something about it.

Not so easy for those with deep roots in TH, house,family, kids in school, job etc. Wives may complain!

Not so easy to sell up at present and start all over again, especially in your retirement years.

Ok for the wealthy,ie those who have not invested, or lost, most of their capital in TH. Ok for those with a well funded plan B, maybe.

• Like 1

Have a look at what travellers have said on hotel reviews, trip adviser, agoda and several other sites about the AC resort, owned and run by the family. Anyone coming to Koh Tao these reviews are a must do.

• Like 1

Before we heard about the electronic tags, now about entrance fee to an island.

I said it before and I will say it again.

Are these people serious coming up with suggestions like that?

Had the same happen to me and my buddy in China 2 months back. Almost every beach we went to wanted money to enter, to change clothes, to sit under an umbrella.

A few cents would have been OK, but I'm talking $20 to enter a beach reserve, $10 for an umbrella.

I soon learned to carry my passport as over 65s are free! (including farangs) My buddy had to pay up.

any one who thinks that Kao Tao island would benifit from a fee to visit has to be away with the fairies

just think for one minuit it will be a cash payment collected by Thai presonell there will so many hands in the till

just who can you trust to collect and make sure the money goes to the island infrastructure ?the police cheesy.gif immigration cheesy.gif anyone with a uniform cheesy.gif the money is available from goverment coffers but by the time it gets to where it needed 90% is in pockets of others

so if you want 10 lights you get 1 and that probably wont work for long

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think this is a good idea.

Not every country can afford the security and luxury of other places.

Tourist come to Koh Tao becuase its cheap.

If foreigners want more security they should pay for something rather then complain something is not good all the time.

No the solution is that everyone should shut up and change nothing. I hope the families of the victims understand that.

ok change nothing and everyone still complain.

if we want to change people complain.

People of Koh Tao to do and change what they want ka..

OK ... You are kidding ... yes?

Are you going to say you honestly beleive one Baht of this money will go to any constructive or meaningful organised and sustainable effort to make the island more safe? Really Really ??????????????????????

This is a grab for Tea Money at the lowest possible level and I am embarrassed for Thailand to be cast in this light on the world stage.

As for you ... please ... if you are going to smoke your lunch, please have the courtesy to turn off your computer first, lest you be tempted to "contribute" with this nonsense.

Please ignore this troll - look at the avatar; gangthai is obviously a 12 year old Thai girl venturing into the nasty grown-up world of public opinion and free speech - not her natural environment. Be gentle she is obviously a victim of brain-washing... Sorry, no pictures of kitties here.

I wish I was 12 thanks for the compliment.

So Paradise Lost seems to have problem with 12 year old girls? Perhaps it's because they've forgotten than he or she will ever know. Then again...

If foreigners want more security they should pay for something rather then complain something is not good all the time.

Obviously you do not think that the host country, in this case Thailand has a resposibility to take care of the people that visit the country? Do thais pay for security when they travel to another country?

Maybe the good people of Koh Tao should not be so kei neow if they want tourists to visit their Island. After all there are other Islands and indeed other countries that would be more welcoming to tourists.

But I get you're piont, which is why should Thais care what happens to tourists in Thailand?

You are all weird.

Talk amongst yourselves.

If you do a search in english this forum comes up.

Very sad that it does as look at the people talking here representing Thai views.

Do a search in Thai. It's all over their social media and they're up in arms over this circus. Actually, they make TV look like a pack of pussies.
  • Like 1

It might be a good idea for the province to actually open a police station on the island and staff it with police who reside on the island. I understand that before this double murder, the island had absolutely no police presence.

It was only earlier this week in a newspaper that they were beefing up security by putting 2 extra monkeys (I can'f bring myself to write RTP) nothing royal about it definitely not police on the island and looking for donations to build a new station. Unbelievable.

Can someone please have a word with these people, honestly,,,

Investing the money themselves will bring in more tourists as the safety of the island will be improved, therefore it will pay for itself. It makes absolutely no sense at all to ask the tourists themselves to pay for their own protection when this is something that the island should be doing anyway.

Unless of course it's just another Thai scam aimed at parting tourists with there hard earned cash.

In every country you pay big taxes but in thailand you don't.

Tourists benefit by not pay to much expense for good and services on the island and in thailand.

So if tourists want more protection they should pay.

Its simple.

Thais don't need the protection.

You are digging yourself into a dark hole.

If I am digging a hole why do you want to be here?

This is a paradox. Complain on everything in thailand but still want to be here.

You didn't understand my metaphor. But you do understand I hope that it is wrong to ask tourists to pay protection money against criminal acts by the local population? If you came to my country you would have exactly the same rights and police protection as people whose families have been there for 500 years. You should try to soften your extreme views on foreigners. They are not pretty.

• Like 2

Before we heard about the electronic tags, now about entrance fee to an island.

I said it before and I will say it again.

Are these people serious coming up with suggestions like that?

Had the same happen to me and my buddy in China 2 months back. Almost every beach we went to wanted money to enter, to change clothes, to sit under an umbrella.

A few cents would have been OK, but I'm talking $20 to enter a beach reserve, $10 for an umbrella.

I soon learned to carry my passport as over 65s are free! (including farangs) My buddy had to pay up.

They have farang's in China ?, I though that species was native to Thailand only ?

• Like 1

Obviously you do not think that the host country, in this case Thailand has a resposibility to take care of the people that visit the country? Do thais pay for security when they travel to another country?

Maybe the good people of Koh Tao should not be so kei neow if they want tourists to visit their Island. After all there are other Islands and indeed other countries that would be more welcoming to tourists.

But I get you're piont, which is why should Thais care what happens to tourists in Thailand?

Yes exactly.

If I was in your country and I would the host country care about what happened to me?

No they just want me to spend my money.

So why should my thai people pay money for stupid tourists.

The scene is a pirate cave where a group of pirates have come together to discuss the recent lack of victims.

"How can we get them to come back? We scared them offl to the seven seas." "ARRRR we'll tell em the police are here to protect em"

Silence, than raucous laughter.

" Aye, but seriously now, I say we charge em a tax and say it's for their security"

Applause and laughter breaks out again someone starts playing a jig while the wenches enter the room with schooners full of rum.

End scene.

I think the "authorities" fail to see the damage that has been done to their credibility with their chaotic mismanagement. Before the murders, I was planning on visiting. I will now go elsewhere.